Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times

Advertisements

I love my mate. Out of every guy i've given the chance to be with me just because they were nice and I figured we had similar interests on some level, he's the only guy I've ever said yes to, saw real relationship potential, and wanted. But he's completely different from any other guy I've ever dated or been attracted to. In my head, he wouldn't even be my type. But somehow he is and he makes me really happy.

But he sucks at prioritization and time management. I'm someone who is pretty good at laying out my priorities and getting things done. I'm pretty decisive, I like feeling productive, waking up early, and getting my work done sooner than later and that upsets me about him because he doesn't plan and sometimes what could've been valuable "us" time gets pushed to the side because of his poor planning skills. For example, there are nights when he can't call me because he ended up having to pull an all-nighter to study. When had he done it earlier and not been playing online games with his study buddy we would've had more "us" time. I know this because he invited me to come study with him and his friend and I saw where the 6 hrs of study time went.

Being able to see that took me out of the honeymoon phase and I'm seeing him for who he is as a person and I'm beginning to realize that my relationship is a REAL relationship and not some thing I dream about when I close my eyes or fantasize about when I see all the pictures of happy couples on the wall or on fb. I'm actually seeing a man who poops and farts and wakes up late and doesn't always do the right thing and makes mistakes and can actually make me angry and disappointed and hurt. This isn't our first time together and he has hurt my feelings before, but I'm starting to really realize that he could hurt me again and that formulas don't always work and...I'm getting hit with a lot of reality.

I still enjoy him though.

When did you realize the honeymoon phase was over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
honestly...it never really did (believe it or not). 11 years later and we both feel the same way for one another regardless of circumstance.

this is probably due to us both having realistic expectations going into the relationship. our honeymoon phase was just taking it for what it was with no fluff involved.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
honestly...it never really did (believe it or not). 11 years later and we both feel the same way for one another regardless of circumstance.

this is probably due to us both having realistic expectations going into the relationship. our honeymoon phase was just taking it for what it was with no fluff involved.
I asked my mom the exact same question and she said, "Does it ever really end?" So I believe you.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
With my ex, it ended - literally and metaphorically - the day after our honeymoon, and never was good after that. This time, it has never ended, even after 13 years.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
At close to 15 years, it has not ended.... We have kept the romance alive, which has not been that hard to do.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
With my ex, it ended - literally and metaphorically - the day after our honeymoon, and never was good after that. This time, it has never ended, even after 13 years.
That describes my first and second marriage as well.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Taoist i can't rep you for some reason, but that's beautiful.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I'm actually seeing a man who poops and farts and wakes up late
Honeymoon is over? I'd say its dead, rotting, and the forensic team has moved on.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Honeymoon is over? I'd say its dead, rotting, and the forensic team has moved on.
lol Well no...I'm okay with those things since they're natural occurrences.

I was talking to my mom about it last night since...she's the only person who's council I take really seriously outside of my own, and she said with my dad, the honeymoon phase never ended between her and my dad. But in talking to her, I realized she had different views of what the honeymoon phase entails.

I think for me, I'm finally coming back down to Earth and reconciling the vision I have of a man put on this Earth solely for me with the reality that this man had a life before me and me him. I knew this intellectually, I'm just starting to really see it in my own life and relationship.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 AM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Sounds like you have a boyfriend and not a life long mate material. You know you can Love someone and still not be compatible with them.

Actually, most people are not compatible with their life long mate, because the selection and courting process is almost always dominated by attraction and not long term compatibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships