Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times

Advertisements

Do women in the general sense have any problem with the husband to stay at home and take care of the house and children?

Situations:
If a woman is dating and she and her boyfriend decide they want to get married, how would you react if he says that as soon as they get married he wants to stay at home and take care of the house?
Woud you say it's OK? If not, why not?

How about a husband that once the first child is born says he will stay at home and take care of the child? If not, why not?

How about if after years of marriage the husband and wife work and he now says he wants to stay at home and take care of the house?
If not, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:48 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
I'm okay with that because I will probably be making 4-5x his salary after 3 more years. But not until this salary is secured because right now my husband makes almost 2x as much as me. We can live on my current income (which is the median for this county) but it would really suck. Whoever is earning less should be allowed to stay home. I know he will be good with our future kids and he is handy around the house. He basically does all the housework as is, LOL. If he loves his job and wants to stay there, I am sure he can be promoted and earn a lot more - though probably not to the point where he will earn more than me. But it's nice when you get to raise your own kids instead of hiring a nanny. He can change his mind at any point of the marriage and I wouldn't care (after 3 more years). He did say that he won't quit his job unless I earned 500k.

Last edited by miyu; 02-14-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,747 times
Unfortunately my husband makes far more than I do and it would be impossible for him to stay home. If that were not he case, I would totally be supportive of him staying home. He would be better at it. If I could support our family and he stayed home I can promise you that....the house would always be clean, dinner would be cooked, homework would be completed and he would probably be in the process of building something at all times. My husband loves to keep himself busy and if he didn't have to go to work, nothing would stand in his way. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it unless their spouse was a lazy couch potato in which case it doesn't really matter if they are male or female.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:21 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
my hubby was for a long time. i made more money and dont believe in daycare so it made sense.

hes retired now (mainly due to health problems) and i work from home, so now were both here. he still does most of the stuff around the house, too, and keeps the kids quiet when im on the phone.

no complaints from me!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:21 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
My husband makes about 4 times what I made as a teacher and gets better benefits so there is no way he could stay home.

I'm not sure I could even support our family on a single income teachers salary without making some big lifestyle adjustments.

If I had the better paycheck and benefits then sure, he could stay home. I would gladly go to work everyday and come home to a clean house with a hot dinner waiting for me

Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times
I would have never thought in a million years I'd be a stay at home dad, but that is what happened. Not by design, but by circumstance.

I used to make more money than my wife did, but when she finished her MBA, she advanced pretty quickly in her career and started out earning me. Flash forward to 2008 when the economy took a giant dump (which landed on the heads of guys in construction like me), and the situation changed.

I found myself working part time and taking care of the kids, the house, and the cooking when I wasn't on the job. I don't have any issue with doing any of the domestic stuff and I love to cook. The child rearing is the hardest part. Three kids under five years is enough to make a guy yank his hair out. I'll be bald soon I'm sure.... But seriously, it works for us.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Do women in the general sense have any problem with the husband to stay at home and take care of the house and children?

Situations:
If a woman is dating and she and her boyfriend decide they want to get married, how would you react if he says that as soon as they get married he wants to stay at home and take care of the house?
No kids? keep working buddy.

I can not see if there is only two of you in the home, why that would require full time attention.
Quote:
How about a husband that once the first child is born says he will stay at home and take care of the child? If not, why not?

How about if after years of marriage the husband and wife work and he now says he wants to stay at home and take care of the house?
If not, why not?
No problem with a father staying at home to look after the kids & manage the home. If it were financially sensible, no worries.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
I agree with the majority of responses here. It all comes down to money. Every couple is different. But you have to weigh the income one or both of you would make and the offsetting daycare costs. Often with multiple children it actually can be better financially to have one parent at home and not paying for childcare.

If it were me personally, I wouldn't mind it, I would just be extremely jealous.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:42 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:

Situations:

If not, why not?
I know a couple - very good friends of mine - who made this work: she was the full-time breadwinner and he the full-time househusband. He stayed home and took care of their two children. He did all the cooking, except once in a while on weekends, as well as all the cleaning, shopping, etc. It worked fine for them. Both kids are in their mid- to late-20s now and are out on their own.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,119 times
Men need their own career! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships