Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:33 AM

172 posts, read 394,615 times

Advertisements

which is probably why many people (both men and women) fall in love with people who mistreat them, aren't good matches, or with people whom they don't necessarily like.

What about you...?? Have you ever fallen in love with a person based upon how they treated you, their qualities, and their character?? Or did you fall in love with them because of that intangible feeling that you felt when being around them, even though in the long run you knew deep down inside that things would not have worked out?

Do you think that it's possible for a person to control whether or not they fall in love with someone? Or do you think that the act of falling in love is irrational and uncontrollable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 12:59 AM

123 posts, read 256,746 times
love is not irrational but people are and they preffer to blaim the feeling not their lack of maturity

Old 04-15-2011, 02:45 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristisha View Post
love is not irrational but people are and they preffer to blaim the feeling not their lack of maturity
I agree but I will add that the relationships you choose often reflect how you were raised.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,357 times
The way they treat me and other people (and sentient beings) is very important for me to fall in love with someone. I could never love someone whose ways I would never fully respect.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:41 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,446,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
which is probably why many people (both men and women) fall in love with people who mistreat them, aren't good matches, or with people whom they don't necessarily like.
I think it's more lack of self confidence, the thought that "this is all I could get.."

A confident person who believes they were worth much more, is less likely to stay with an abuser than someone who feels worthless, undeserving of attention and that it's either put up with the abuse or be alone forever.

It's not about love being irrational or funny, it's about low selfconfidence and people who seek to pray on it.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
I could never fall in love with someone who " mistreated me" or who I "don't necessarily like".Some people seem to be in too much of a hurry to invest their happiness in anyone who comes along.....I would have to know or at least observe a person for a while...to see how they interact with others, before I could see them as worthy of my love.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
When I was younger, yes, I did fall for people who weren't good matches. That's all too easy to do based on those intangible feelings or chemistry.

Often, such relationships progress too fast and only later do you discover that you lack compatibility in key areas. I've found that I can avoid most of the pitfalls of chemistry-based relationships by internet dating, and NOT meeting too quickly. Taking time to email, chat, and phone to discuss issues relating to compatibility is a very effective screening technique. When you DO meet, you already know you have similar values, goals, beliefs, and interests. If the chemistry is also present upon meeting, you can continue with confidence and minimal risk of significant incompatibility.

This won't work for many people, because they don't have the patience, and want the rush of hormonal attraction ASAP. Maybe I'm too rational, but it has certainly worked extremely well for me when it comes to relationships.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:04 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
Most of my relationships were crappy. I fell for people based on who they presented themselves to be. Once they showed who they really were, I stayed because of a combination of what I was used to and some form of attachment I confused for love. I don't believe I can truly love someone I have no respect for and don't trust, but it sure felt like it at the time.

Now, I don't operate on emotion. I listen to my gut and I am easily turned off by those things I chose to live with for so long.

I agree with the other poster on love not being irrational. People are. I find that, no matter how old people are, too many are emotionally immature. That is what creates the "love hard/fight hard" mentality. I always shake my head at those who think they should stick around because of all the crazy they have been through together, romanticizing the koo-koo.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:18 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,330,501 times
yes it certainly can be...

Old 04-18-2011, 02:03 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times
When I was younger, I "fell in love" with several guys that were in no way good for me. I can't even describe what my reasoning was during those times. I think that those feelings were separate from truly "giddy, gasping, falling-in-love" emotions. I was actually a little happier with those guys (the giddy, etc., ones).

I'm a little more selective these days, meaning I have a brain in my head...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships