Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 PM

791 posts, read 1,425,730 times

Advertisements

honesty, respect and commitment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 04:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Compromise
Affection
Selflessness

Old 02-25-2011, 04:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Ask the Eberts.

Onglet posted a very touching story, which I can't link to right now, about Roger Ebert and his wife, Chaz. Reading about them chokes me up every time. That is what love is. I think some people have their sights set on the wrong things. Instead of worrying how to get laid at a bar by some drunk chick or whether your boyfriend spent enough money on your Valentine's Day present, worry about what will happen to you when you get cancer of the jaw and you lose your ability to speak and part of your face.

Love is patient, kind, enduring.
Wow. I'm going to look for this story and read it.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:10 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Trust
Loyalty
Belonging

Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Wow. I'm going to look for this story and read it.
I know the O-word is anathema to some posters around here, but they were on Oprah. Here's the post that links to it:

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ger-ebert.html

Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Ask the Eberts.

Onglet posted a very touching story, which I can't link to right now, about Roger Ebert and his wife, Chaz. Reading about them chokes me up every time. That is what love is. I think some people have their sights set on the wrong things. Instead of worrying how to get laid at a bar by some drunk chick or whether your boyfriend spent enough money on your Valentine's Day present, worry about what will happen to you when you get cancer of the jaw and you lose your ability to speak and part of your face.

Love is patient, kind, enduring.
What a lovely post. As usual Julia.

Tried to rep you but "blah,blah, blah". Kindess is incredibly under-rated in my opinion . It is a word like "nice" we often use without really paying attention to it and I believe kindness is just about the most important element in life itself really. Kindness in the end encompasses patience, loyalty, trust, love, friendship, empathy, compassion, tolerance , all those things which help make up our lives just that little bit better . We do not value kindness enough IMO and it is a real shame. Kindness is actually a rare commodity and one we should cherish greatly.

And I do agree that Love is something which shines through especially through the most horrendous episodes of your life.

When I had Leukaemia , Hubby looked after me, cheered me up and never once did he make me feel like a burden . I gained a lot of weight ( which is proving very difficult to shift) because of steroid treatment and he NEVER made me feel anything but beautiful, sexy and cherished.

I genuinely believe he still looks at me through the love goggles of the fisrt flush of romance and there is nothing sexier and nothing lovelier especially when you are feeling down and being told you are likely to die than for someone to simply love you as you are.

We do bicker quite often but he is my life and I know I could never find better. I would certainly die for him and I am quite convinced I would also kill for him. He is my all, my one. Seeing someone through a potentially life threatening illness is IMO a great test of enduring and genuine love. If someone does not love you when you look ( and feel ) awful, when you are sick on a daily basis, when you feel despair and depondency about your life, when there is no light at the end of the tunnel, then he/she does not love you IMO.

Love is not a pick and mix experience, You do have to take the rough with the smooth , the ugly with the pretty and the poor with the wealthy. Too many couples seem to expect fireworks at all times, romance and roses, perfection which never fades or vanishes and that to me is not love, that is fantasy. OK when you are 4 and still believe in Princesses and Super-Heroes but a little silly and dangerous when you are an adult engaged in real life.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:42 AM

471 posts, read 1,042,345 times
These word combinations are great and some even clever.

I'll it in sentences now

Love is like the dream from which I never wish to never awake.
Love is looking at the person I'm with and wondering what our kids will look like.
Love isn't a card it's the emotion of the words written on the card.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
To the younger folks, this can be/is sex. To us older folks/Baby Boomers it's about our wife, husband and marriage! But, if anyone here REALLY wants to know what love is, simply ask any of my high school classmates that have been married for 30 plus years.........now THAT is love!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-ever-learning View Post
I will try and describe what love is to me in 3 words:

1. Wonderful
2. Gratifying
3. Effortless

so what is love to you in 3 words or sentences.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:53 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
This is for people that have been in crappy relationships and marriages! Been there, done that........but am very HAPPILY married with lots of LOVE in it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
pain
in
as@

Old 02-25-2011, 06:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
What a lovely post. As usual Julia.

Tried to rep you but "blah,blah, blah". Kindess is incredibly under-rated in my opinion . It is a word like "nice" we often use without really paying attention to it and I believe kindness is just about the most important element in life itself really. Kindness in the end encompasses patience, loyalty, trust, love, friendship, empathy, compassion, tolerance , all those things which help make up our lives just that little bit better . We do not value kindness enough IMO and it is a real shame. Kindness is actually a rare commodity and one we should cherish greatly.

And I do agree that Love is something which shines through especially through the most horrendous episodes of your life.

When I had Leukaemia , Hubby looked after me, cheered me up and never once did he make me feel like a burden . I gained a lot of weight ( which is proving very difficult to shift) because of steroid treatment and he NEVER made me feel anything but beautiful, sexy and cherished.

I genuinely believe he still looks at me through the love goggles of the fisrt flush of romance and there is nothing sexier and nothing lovelier especially when you are feeling down and being told you are likely to die than for someone to simply love you as you are.

We do bicker quite often but he is my life and I know I could never find better. I would certainly die for him and I am quite convinced I would also kill for him. He is my all, my one. Seeing someone through a potentially life threatening illness is IMO a great test of enduring and genuine love. If someone does not love you when you look ( and feel ) awful, when you are sick on a daily basis, when you feel despair and depondency about your life, when there is no light at the end of the tunnel, then he/she does not love you IMO.

Love is not a pick and mix experience, You do have to take the rough with the smooth , the ugly with the pretty and the poor with the wealthy. Too many couples seem to expect fireworks at all times, romance and roses, perfection which never fades or vanishes and that to me is not love, that is fantasy. OK when you are 4 and still believe in Princesses and Super-Heroes but a little silly and dangerous when you are an adult engaged in real life.

Thanks, Mooseketeer. You and Mr. Moose seem to share a beautiful relationship. I am very happy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships