Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 04:31 PM

926 posts, read 673,533 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if this is happening because of what I've been reading and hearing about the past few years in addition to reading what members here are posting in certain threads... I mean, it doesn't matter if it is, because I'm still sticking to being monogamous in any relationship I ever have in the future and forever until the world ends lol

I just saw this article this morning in Yahoo about "Open Relationships" and I was like Omg, it's spreading and getting more and more prevalent:

What Is It Like to Be in an Open Marriage? 1 Woman Shares Her Story

[font="Tahoma"]What type of women does your husband go for? Are they similar to you or different?

Ben tends to go for women who are a bit more free-spirited than I am — which is fine by me! He can go camping with them while I enjoy the comfort of a real bed. The women he dates do tend to be intellectual like I am. They sound like awesome people who I could easily be friends with.
Mod cut: only first few lines from articles

So, do any of you think that Monogamy will soon be a thing of the past, that it'll be in the minority and that "open relationships" and polyamory will be the dominating type of relationship in the future that most couples will be engaging in?

Last edited by Mikala43; 06-07-2017 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-06-2017, 04:47 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Women are no longer happy anymore to be with one woman, and men don't mind cheating every now and then. I'm open to a polyamorous lifestyle. If you don't like or want polyamory, than such it up, be happy, be content with the man that you have and try to work it at it. That's all I have to say.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:02 PM

52,242 posts, read 52,655,546 times
I wouldn't say it's becoming extinct. I'm too lazy to research the numbers, but I'd venture to say that most people are still in the typical monogamous marriage.

Is the poly or open relationships or whatever the cool hip terms are for it, is it on the rise? I'm sure it probably is. Times are a changing and demographics and trends shift. In another couple of generations it might be as common as monogamy is today.

I'm trying to stand back and just roll with the changes. All of these terms that are getting thrown around a lot more these days like transgendered, gender identity, along with LGBTQ. Standing back and just saying Ok. Who knows, maybe there is something to all of this.

I don't have a dawg in the fight.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:05 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,808 times
No.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:08 PM

926 posts, read 673,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I wouldn't say it's becoming extinct. I'm too lazy to research the numbers, but I'd venture to say that most people are still in the typical monogamous marriage.

Is the poly or open relationships or whatever the cool hip terms are for it, is it on the rise? I'm sure it probably is. Times are a changing and demographics and trends shift. In another couple of generations it might be as common as monogamy is today.

I'm trying to stand back and just roll with the changes. All of these terms that are getting thrown around a lot more these days like transgendered, gender identity, along with LGBTQ. Standing back and just saying Ok. Who knows, maybe there is something to all of this.

I don't have a dawg in the fight.
Thanks for your post and yeah, I'm just standing wayyyy back and watching all this unfold before my very eyes...

And you're right Chow...times sure ARE a-changin'.....and not necessarily for the better IMHO lol

Old 06-06-2017, 05:11 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
I doubt it will become extinct, and I don't hope for it to be.

Monogamy can be beautiful and very meaningful for some, and likely always will be.

Of course there have always been other approaches to relationships as well.

I don't feel monogamy is becoming extinct as much as it's competing more openly now with other lifestyles that are themselves becoming more accepted.

And acceptance is a good thing.

As long as it's between consenting adults, in any configuration of genders and number of partners, and nobody is being harmed or coerced, love is good in all its varieties.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:17 PM

427 posts, read 1,224,039 times
No, monogamy isn't going anywhere, it's just as prevalent as it has always been. The overwhelming majority of people I know are still in monogamous relationships. However, what is occurring, is that the minority lifestyles of the world, the poly/open relationships, the LGBTQ community and the asexuals of the world are getting more face time in the media. This is happening for different reasons which I won't discuss because that's not the topic of this thread but just know that it's happening. Anytime something is hyped up in the media, it seems more extreme than it is in reality. If you wanted to argue that people today are less moral/ethical and more open minded about sexuality than they were in previous generations, then I would tend to agree with that but that doesn't mean monogamy is going extinct by any means.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:17 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
Hell no.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:18 PM

52,242 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
Thanks for your post and yeah, I'm just standing wayyyy back and watching all this unfold before my very eyes...

And you're right Chow...times sure ARE a-changin'.....and not necessarily for the better IMHO lol
Sometimes we have a tendency to view things in a sorta myopic way. I'm just going to give a some loose thoughts here and it sorta ties into your OP.

Right now we get all flustered when things change and we tend to say or think things are going down the toilet and in some ways there is merit and in some ways not so much.

I'm sure during the women's suffrage movement people thought things were "going down the crapper" When Jim Crow laws were overturned and the civil right act was put in place in the mid 60's, I'm sure some people thought "things are doing down the crapper."

We can stand back and see with much clarity that those types of "social upheavals" were indeed necessary and justified.

I'm not saying your thread is exactly the same thing, I'm just saying sometimes history has a way of looking differently in retrospect.

We've been burning fossil based fuels forever, who know in the future, they might look back and think "how crude those people in the 20/21 centuries were, they were so uncivilized"

You see a pattern here??

Thing change, sometimes for the good, and sometimes for the bad.....

Old 06-06-2017, 05:29 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
I'm not really sure what's going on but my guess is that it's the media.

Back in the day before social media and the internet, you would only hear about this type of stuff every now and then. Now that social media exists and there are so many news outlets on the web, it's easy to believe something is more prevalent than it actually is. I follow this girl on Youtube, and she talks about how our society has no shame when it comes to social media. There are people who announce how proud they are to be a side piece, there is even a show possibly in the works titled, "The Real Side Chicks of Charlotte."

It's just something I shake my head at. People cheating is nothing new, but it seems like it's being glorified these days. I worry about the future generation sometimes with this kind of stuff floating around. I don't know if monogamy will ever stop existing, but media can make it seem like it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships