Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:22 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times

Advertisements

All you can control is your own actions and morality.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:26 PM

574 posts, read 377,129 times
I prefer one relationship at a time. I was married forever. It was wonderful. I never had to even think about using protection or sexually transmitted diseases. Now with the idea of dating that becomes front and center. I don't want to be in a relationship where I have to worry if she is bringing something home to me that she got from someone else. If you want to live that way, go for it.

I only know what is right for me.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:27 PM

926 posts, read 673,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Not all "change" or expectations of going with the new is good for society.
I witnessed a family that practiced open relations. The kids were so messed up! No solid foundation of what constituted a family unit as folks swung thru that door like a saloon. Objectively the parents were narcissistic and sought "satisfaction" at the cost of the family . You can't be in two places at once. Someone suffers. It's the nature of time.

I've no qualms that it exists...And anyone not sailing on this ship,is somehow unwelcomed into the future. Well sail on my friends. I'll stay on dry land and be the vanilla it's still the number 1 ice cream flavor .
This is how I feel too!!!!! And, I think it would so totally mess kids up along with the parents who live this "open relationship" kind of lifestyle! BUT...there are many on here (who I happen to respect, btw) who actually LIVE this type of lifestyle every day of their lives, and they say they're all happy, respectful towards each other and that their lives are happy and full of love, happiness and trust. Idk how true that is, I can only go by their word. But um, honestly...that's just NOT me....and it'll NEVER BE me....

~ Team Vanilla!

Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
C'mon that's silly. Nobody is saying "if you don't live like a total hedonist and heathen and deviant, you won't be welcome in the new world order" or anything.

And if anyone DOES feel like that, their idiotic opinion means nil.

None of this--polyamory, open marriage, homosexuality, transgender identification, kink, fetish, whatever--none of it is new...it's as old as humankind.

And for those who practice these things, it comes as naturally as hetero monogamy comes to other people.

There's room for it all, and no reason to be disgusted or offended. Live and let live.
Thanks for the reminder of how history repeats itself,when one doesn't learn from it.
I'm neither offended or disgusted. Disappointed in some antics ..Perhaps.
Monogomy maybe taking a back seat..But I don't see it being ousted...

Old 06-06-2017, 08:32 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
The more I read these "poly" and "open" posts and threads, I'm almost starting to feel abnormal....like, I'M the one that's WEIRD for NOT wanting to have sex with thousands of people while in a relationship...yeah, it messes with your head...
I believe that lifestyle (polygamy) is still fairly underground and only comes out in venues such as this where people are -- for the most part -- anonymous. Not messing with my head at all. I know who I am, and watching from the sidelines does not tempt me one bit.

However, I do not including gay relationships in this. To me, being gay is not an alternative lifestyle. It's just a matter of gender.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
C'mon that's silly. Nobody is saying "if you don't live like a total hedonist and heathen and deviant, you won't be welcome in the new world order" or anything.

And if anyone DOES feel like that, their idiotic opinion means nil.

None of this--polyamory, open marriage, homosexuality, transgender identification, kink, fetish, whatever--none of it is new...it's as old as humankind.

And for those who practice these things, it comes as naturally as hetero monogamy comes to other people.

There's room for it all, and no reason to be disgusted or offended. Live and let live.
Well then, if you're going to throw logic into this discussion, then it all goes out the window!

I see what you're sayin' though....it does make sense....but, it SUCKS at the same time. I guess someone like you wouldn't understand that. Whether there's a generation gap going on here or not, you gotta understand that this $h!t SUCKS for people like me who's trying to live a straight up DECENT and PROPER life that INCLUDES monogamy, FAITHFULNESS and DEVOTION to the significant other we've romantically committed ourselves to. That type of lifestyle seems to be fading away these days...

Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
I see what you're sayin' though....it does make sense....but, it SUCKS at the same time. I guess someone like you wouldn't understand that. Whether there's a generation gap going on here or not, you gotta understand that this $h!t SUCKS for people like me who's trying to live a straight up DECENT and PROPER life that INCLUDES monogamy, FAITHFULNESS and DEVOTION to the significant other we've romantically committed ourselves to. That type of lifestyle seems to be fading away these days...
Do you honestly believe hetero, monogamous relationships are somehow under attack? It is by FAR the ruling paradigm of our culture, and most everything in our culture is geared to it. Do you truly think vanilla relationships are being marginalized or are in some kind of danger?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Do you honestly believe hetero, monogamous relationships are somehow under attack? It is by FAR the ruling paradigm of our culture, and most everything in our culture is geared to it. Do you truly think vanilla relationships are being marginalized or are in some kind of danger?
Um yeah, I do. Some of my friends are already dabbling in the "open"/"poly" realm because they feel that's what they're 'supposed to do'...and because their SOs are pushing them to do it. I'd rather break up with my SO than share him with another woman...and I'd want to break up with him even MORE *if* he WANTED TO screw some other woman while STILL wanting to STAY IN a relationship with ME. F@$% that.

But like I said in my other post, I DON'T CARE how "mainstream" or "normal" or "required" these types of messed up relationships become - I WON'T be buying into it or participating in it - EVER. I've been cheated on in the past.......and, I'll NEVER subject myself to that type of emotional abuse EVER AGAIN. Never. I'll spend the rest of my life ALONE before I'd EVER allow anyone to do that to me ever again.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Some of my friends are already dabbling in the "open"/"poly" realm because they feel that's what they're 'supposed to do'...and because their SOs are pushing them to do it.
Well, that's either on your friends for being pliable pushovers, or they're just saying that to you because you are so against it.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Um yeah, I do. Some of my friends are already dabbling in the "open"/"poly" realm because they feel that's what they're 'supposed to do'...
If that's true they are probably too weak-willed to be involved in any kind of relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships