Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,391,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No, they cheat because they are cheaters. A person with integrity will either fix what's wrong in their marriage or get out of the marriage before sleeping with someone else. A person who commits adultery because they are bored or find their marriage lacking passion or sex or emtional fullfillment is a cad. Have the decency to get a divorce first.
Even if you live in a state where you have to wait a year for a divorce?

Will not a formal separation suffice?

I think that once 2 people are separated, with clearly no intent to reconcile and are filing for divorce, all bets are off.

I do agree re: staying in a marriage and sneaking around, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,414,723 times
Actually I think Ivory's post was essentially true. You're right that life is not simple (far from it), but cheating is a simple concept: if you love your partner, you don't cheat. Period.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,689,315 times
Lightbulb The Captain Sayeth This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrworld View Post
May none of us will ever have to go through this, but...

If s/he admitted it was wrong and tell you they still are very much in love with you and want to save the relationship, would you take them back?

Would you stay together for children only?

Would you ever be able to trust/love them again?

Would you ever truly forgive them?
My first task, would be to see what I had done, or wasn't doing, that drove my partner to stray...I have a bit of a temper (just read some of my posts sometime LOL), but I'm not one of those ignorant go-rilla types that wants to whip everybody's a** when I'm mad...ESPECIALLY not a woman...

I also love hard, and deep...to find out that I had been cheated on, no matter if it was a one-nighter, fueled by booze, lust, and/or loneliness, or a long term, drawn-out, hot, steamy supermarket-tabloid knock boots wherever you get a chance affair, would be nothing short of devastating...

Now here's the REALLY hard part---the one about, if they admitted being wrong, and said they still loved me, and wanted to stay with me and save the relationship...would I take them back? I'll be brutally honest---I'd find out how many ways and languages I could use to utter the words 'hell no!'

And I'll tell you why...my first thought would be 'if you loooove me so much, and cared soooo much the relationship/marriage, then why were you somewhere with some other man, coupled together like rottweilers in heat?...what the expletive did I do that was so drastic, you had to go bring in a stunt d**k?'

Would I ever be able to trust or love them again? That's probably a negatory too, because if I DID, then I'd be haunted by the thought that another man's jackson had been inside my woman, and I'd go straight into CIA-surveillance non-trust mode...why? If she did it once, even though she's back in my life now, what's to stop her from getting peeved about something, and picking up the phone and calling Mr Stunt-Jackson and saying 'yo baby...it's on!'?

That would make me seriously stop and examine myself, and what was going on that caused her to see another man...

Now to the final question...would/could I ever truly forgive them? Probably not...and if I were the cheater, and not the cheated-upon, I would expect the same...that's our relationship you just tore asunder, sweetness! If you didn't want to make a bunch of lawyers rich, you should have never listened to your girl Shaniqua, y'know the one who's always in your ear about 'girrrlll, you should hit that---he'd never know!' ...I would have to then let her see my framed certificate that acknowledges that I am king, president, governor, and ruler for life of the Land Of I Ain't Havin It

Old 03-14-2011, 11:09 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,490,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Nope. My sex drive is alive and well. Unfortunately, about twice as alive and well as my husband's. That is not an excuse to cheat.

Adultry pretty much is black and white. You're either guilty or not. Reasons for breaking a vow don't matter. They're just excuses to justify getting what you want. I can make all kinds of excuses up to do all kinds of things. That doesn't justify my doing them or make my actions right. For some reason, you feel compelled to justify cheating when it can't be justified. Cheating is a choice plain and simple.

The fact that people live in the same situations and choose not to cheat proves that cheating is a choice. Cheaters choose to cheat. Plain and simple.

Even a one time cheating event is a choice. All cheating is a choice. You're either the type of person who will choose to cheat or you're not. If you are, you're not worth keeping. There are too many people with integrity out there to choose from.
I absolutely agree with you! There is NO justification in cheating either once or multiple times. If you love someone, you chose not to cheat so that you don't hurt or disrespect that person.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,962,885 times
If she loves you and you want to save the relationship, find out why she did it -correct the problems, and forgive her.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,000,855 times
No. I love with great passion...and once they cheat, it's all over. I can't love somebody I no longer trust.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:01 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,636,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Really I don't see the wisdom of confessing a one time fling. If the cheater has no intention of a repeat what would be the point of telling your SO? It's almost as selfish as the act! I honestly would rather not know about a one time fling,it would end all trust in my spouse!
Yes it does.

The only reason I can come up with for my husband telling me was to show me how easily I can be replaced. There are some men who are so arrogant that they think another woman wanting them should make them more attractive to their spouse. As if they're saying "Look at the catch you have".

I can't imagine I'd ever cheat (I've had plenty of opportunity over the years) but if I did, I'd end the marriage. I couldn't live a lie and I woudln't expect my husband to either.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,636,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I absolutely agree with you! There is NO justification in cheating either once or multiple times. If you love someone, you chose not to cheat so that you don't hurt or disrespect that person.
Cheating, above all else, is an act of disrespect towards your spouse. It makes no sense to me to hurt someone you, supposedly, love that way. To put your own desires above a promise you made to never hurt them this way is just plain wrong in any light.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:03 AM

95 posts, read 228,591 times
I have a more than zero tolerance policy for infidelity. I'm talking, if I find an email or a text message that even contemplates having a fling, I'm changing the locks and your stuff will be sitting on the lawn.

I would expect nothing less in return from my fiance.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,682,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Potato View Post
I have a more than zero tolerance policy for infidelity. I'm talking, if I find an email or a text message that even contemplates having a fling, I'm changing the locks and your stuff will be sitting on the lawn.

I would expect nothing less in return from my fiance.
Perfect post. Well I suspect his stuff on the lawn might have jad a slight "accident" with a blowtorch before but .... I too would expect nothing else from Hubby. I expect to be treated as I would treat him. No special treatment for me either.

Cheating was one of the serious issues we discussed very openly when we first got serious and we made it very clear to each other that it would never tolerated. We basically told each other that we would be honest about not wanting the other person and would leave but NEVER EVER would cheat. Divorce yes. Leaving yes. Cheating NO. N.O.

I could never love someone I did not trust and did not respect. And certainly I could never stay with someone I would instantly hate, loathe and despise. I would want to hurt him so bad it would basically destroy me and him in the process.

If you love someone you do not cheat. I obviously have a very different definition of loving someone. To me loving someone is putting them first, thinking of their needs before yours, respecting them , being loyal and kind to them and treating them well. How hopping into bed with some other guy/gal for a little nookie is love is beyond me. It demonstrates nothing but contempt, dishonesty, lack of character, nastiness and disloyalty and cruelty. How is that love exactly ?

In my world, you spouse no longer does it for you and is no longer good enough for you, you talk about your problems and try to resolve them. When that fails you split up. Before you open up your legs or your zipper. Not after.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 03-15-2011 at 07:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships