Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,709,601 times

Advertisements

Ok, so there's a girl I've been hanging out with for the past couple of weeks. She's pretty damn awesome, but when we first met she had a boyfriend. Key word being had, because he dumped her like a week ago. At the behest of certain members of this forum, I've since tried stepping things up but nothing seems to work.

Everytime we hang out she always ends up bitching about her ex. **** like "ugh he keeps saying he's sorry, that he loves me, we'll probably end up back together honestly" and I would be lying if I said I don't wanna tell her to get over him, that he's a prick and that there are better men for her (like, ahem, myself).

So yeah how do I get it right? I've tried asking her out to something but she always has plans (and no, they're not just ruses). I'm thinking of being very blunt and just saying "would you like to go out to the movies on Friday?" the next time I see her. early enough in the week before she makes any other plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,649,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Ok, so there's a girl I've been hanging out with for the past couple of weeks. She's pretty damn awesome, but when we first met she had a boyfriend. Key word being had, because he dumped her like a week ago. At the behest of certain members of this forum, I've since tried stepping things up but nothing seems to work.

Everytime we hang out she always ends up bitching about her ex. **** like "ugh he keeps saying he's sorry, that he loves me, we'll probably end up back together honestly" and I would be lying if I said I don't wanna tell her to get over him, that he's a prick and that there are better men for her (like, ahem, myself).

So yeah how do I get it right? I've tried asking her out to something but she always has plans (and no, they're not just ruses). I'm thinking of being very blunt and just saying "would you like to go out to the movies on Friday?" the next time I see her. early enough in the week before she makes any other plans.
No guts no glory! Be BLUNT!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:20 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,136,492 times
they broke up a week ago?

Might be too soon. You can go to the movies together, just don't expect to be "dating" straight away.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,441,628 times
I feel ,she is not really like you , you should think if it is worth to do !!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:51 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,319,793 times
She's gonna see you as a vulture if you try to step in that soon.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,709,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
She's gonna see you as a vulture if you try to step in that soon.
and here we go again with the 'this or that' so prevalent on this forum (not a personal dig at you, miyu)

half the people on here probably think I better try before some other 'vulture' gets her

half the people think I ought to let the body cool

But let's say I take your advice, when is it no longer too soon?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,649,937 times
Quote:
and here we go again with the 'this or that' so prevalent on this forum (not a personal dig at you, miyu)

half the people on here probably think I better try before some other 'vulture' gets her

I could be wrong. I'd listen to the gals opinions over mine. I just lost out too many times and am more direct with my approach now. That doesn't mean I want to push, it's just I'm not sitting back letting some other grunt move in for her!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,243,919 times
Quote:

It sucks to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think she's interested in you romantically... Women, and particularly girls, tend to alter their plans a lot if they really want to be with a man, particularly at the beginning.

You may not want to be a vulture or perceived as one, but consoling a wounded soul usually does wonders, if you get my drift!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
How about this:

Tell her the truth.

Tell her you like her, but you realize it's probably too soon for her to start seeing someone new.

Tell her you'd just like to spend some time getting to know her better.

See what she says.

The only danger here is that she'll decide you can't be more than just her friend.

Maybe, if she's willing to hang out some, you'll have to tell her you'd rather not talk about the ex.

Might keep her from treating you like one of her girl friends.

Good luck!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It sucks to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think she's interested in you romantically... Women, and particularly girls, tend to alter their plans a lot if they really want to be with a man, particularly at the beginning.

You may not want to be a vulture or perceived as one, but consoling a wounded soul usually does wonders, if you get my drift!
I do agree on that point. I know I pretty much cleared everyone but my nearest and dearest from my calendar when a guy I liked wanted a first date. Course, that was over 5 years ago, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships