Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,155,088 times

Advertisements

That was a very immature thing for your friend to say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:48 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,099,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
Of course what you and her find attractive is totally different. Your friend is not a friend, but whatever.

The part that bothers me is that she said "you can do better" which was 100% in reference to the way he looked--not how he treats you, not how he treats himself, is track in life, etc.

Look at all the threads on this forum about how poorly people are treated. I am sure that: 1) The posters can all do better; 2) Their SOs are totally hot, which is why they put up with it in the first place.

Your friend is going to be one of those posters some day...

She is just jealous..We rarely talk..who needs a friend like that?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:55 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,155,088 times
Around 10 years ago I went to a family dinner with a guy I was dating (his family invited us over). While he was talking with his mom (who didn't think I was within earshot of them), she muttered something along the lines of, "You can do better than her...she's not pretty enough for you!"

I was so hurt and offended that I ended up leaving right then and there. I told him about his mom's hurtful comments and when he didn't do anything to show that he disagreed with them, I dumped him.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:02 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,531,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
We all have different ideas of what is attractive but to be honest that kind of bluntness is just rude. Even if you find a "friend's" SO not attractive there is no reason to disparage him/her and certainly not to say you can do better than him/her.

What matters is that YOU find him/her gorgeous and fancy him. What matters even more is that he/she loves you , treats you kindly and is a good partner. Some shallow vaccuous person's view should certainly not count in the slightest.

I think Hubby is the sexiest man alive to ME. If people find him attractive too, then great, if they don't who bloody cares ?

There is a difference IMO saying "he/she is not my type but I am glad you are happy" and saying "Gosh that guy/girl is ugly". Of course we are all entitled to our opinions but this does not mean being rude and churlish.

Personally I try to avoid people who are so vapid and whose entire lives seem to revolve around upsetting other people and disaparaging them.

Good riddance to bad rubbish as they say would be my reaction.

Very well said! It would be a bit different if OP asked for persons opinion, but that is not what she said she said person just came out and said it. I think my hubby is the best looking person I've ever met, and honestly I don't care what other people think. I love him and that's all that counts.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:31 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,984,238 times
We all say things we don't mean. Sometimes our mouth opens up before we realize it was hurtful and inappropriate.

However, we do have to take into consideration everything that was said. Filter out the things that we know are untrue or uncalled for.

If you were in an abusive relationship I would hope you would have the decency to listen to others and think about what they say.

Not all things said can be mean or hurtful. Your friend could have just been flapping her mouth. She could have been shallow or thought you were so much prettier to settle for him. Who knows! She may want him personally.

All I know is I have upset people and it was totally unintentional. We all have. I just hope that lady forgives me for saying about her new born baby, "That's a face only a mother could love." I honestly thought I was being nice.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,972,476 times
Yes. I was standing in line at Home Depot. My wife was waiting by the door. She is a small woman and was pregnant with twins that she carried entirely in the front, so she looked . .. well . . . .funny. She could not drive becuae her arms were not long enough to reach the steering wheel. Anyway there was a couple staning in line in front of me pointing at her and making comments. The gal told her boyfriend loudly "Don't worry honey, no matter what happens in our life I will never get that huge! Eeeewwww." I saw the tears forming. I leaned forward and said equally loudly "And I will not worry because although my wife is pregnant with twins, no matter what happens, nothing she could do will ever make her that UGLY." Boyfriend turned to get in my face, but changed his mind and they just put their things down and left (I am moderately big and at the time, little bit buff, and seriously pissed).

I am not usually that nasty, but this couple really ticked me off. We were pretty sick of people gasping over her and touching her and talking about her as if she were not there. People can be rude. However pretty much if anyone insulted my GF or wife like that, things were/are likely to get ugly. Even a friend. I am pretty protective.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,703,667 times
More drama... I mean, who cares? Who cares what others think of who, or what ya` got!! Good Lord!!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,482,747 times
I don't give a rat's azz what people think so it wouldn't have offended me. But them again, I don't have friends like you do. I can't imagine any of my friends saying anything crappy like that.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:16 PM

593 posts, read 1,797,777 times
I had all my friend's tell me how I could "do better" and that my bf wasn't good looking. I had one friend have his brother call me to talk me out of my relationship with my bf; another friend told me her sister had him in class and that I needed to dump him; another one told me "he's not very friendly"...I didn't listen to them and married him. We've been married 37 years and I couldn't ask for a better husband. He's the most loving man, tender, kind, generous and a wonderful provider. He loved my Mom like his own and she adored him right up to the day she died...

Fast forward 37 years... those friend's that gave me advice have many divorces between now and wonder how we've stayed together so long...:>)

Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 PM

17,648 posts, read 22,693,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Around 10 years ago I went to a family dinner with a guy I was dating (his family invited us over). While he was talking with his mom (who didn't think I was within earshot of them), she muttered something along the lines of, "You can do better than her...she's not pretty enough for you!"

I was so hurt and offended that I ended up leaving right then and there. I told him about his mom's hurtful comments and when he didn't do anything to show that he disagreed with them, I dumped him.

What a bunch of DoucheBags. I have a .44 Magnum, if you wanna off them...

Your a Beauty.

What is wonderful is your beautiful on the inside also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships