Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:50 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,387 times

Advertisements

I have a question. Every time a guy hits on me or tries to flirt, I get really pissed off.

What's wrong with me? It really ruins my inner peace and I wish I could just wear a sign that says "if you are looking for anything more than friendship, then back off"

I'm sending all these negative vibes and attention from any guy really stresses me out. There was this guy in one of my classes - goodlooking but he just would not shut up and I was trying to pay attention to the coursework.

HOw can I become a more pleasant and kind person? How can I better handle these situations? I think I just brutally crush/offend guys who try to be nice and it's not that I want to.... but I try to make myself clear..... And I hate being in that situation.

Like laughing at a guy's stupid jokes that are not funny to not hurt his feelings (done that, it gets tiring)
Going off on someone because he suggested that we have a lot in common

Really I am on a roll.

I think it might be b/c I like someone else and right now is not a good time for me to get into these things anyway.... How can I send this message out loud and clear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
I have a question. Every time a guy hits on me or tries to flirt, I get really pissed off.

What's wrong with me? It really ruins my inner peace and I wish I could just wear a sign that says "if you are looking for anything more than friendship, then back off"

I'm sending all these negative vibes and attention from any guy really stresses me out. There was this guy in one of my classes - goodlooking but he just would not shut up and I was trying to pay attention to the coursework.

HOw can I become a more pleasant and kind person? How can I better handle these situations? I think I just brutally crush/offend guys who try to be nice and it's not that I want to.... but I try to make myself clear..... And I hate being in that situation.

Like laughing at a guy's stupid jokes that are not funny to not hurt his feelings (done that, it gets tiring)
Going off on someone because he suggested that we have a lot in common

Really I am on a roll.

I think it might be b/c I like someone else and right now is not a good time for me to get into these things anyway.... How can I send this message out loud and clear?
You must be dealing with foolish men. Most can read your body language loud and clear. It the same as when one gets cold on you. We just know it.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Are you positive that they're all hitting on you and not just being friendly?

I befriended a girl at work whom I had no romantic interest in at all once, and we hung out a few times and got along great. We watched movies sitting on her bed and I didn't think anything was going to happen; we went for a long drive in my car with the top down that started in the afternoon and ended near sunset, and I never once had the slightest romantic urge towards her. We got along really well, and I was really happy to have met someone that I got along with so perfectly. She was quickly becoming one of my best friends.

I invited her to a show that a band we'd both expressed interest in was playing and even specifically noted it was with some of my friends. In response, I got the "look, I'm totally not into you, okay? I mean, you're really awesome and fun and cool but I really don't find you attractive and never, ever will and I feel like you're getting waaaaaay too far into me which is really jacked up and creepy, cause that's what my boy-girl radar is picking up is happening here" speech.

I was really, really hurt and offended.

In doing so, she proved herself to be a class-A *****, and I rarely spoke to her after that, even after she apologized and realized she was totally wrong (I had a girlfriend at the time I was fiercely devoted to and pretty much everyone knew it). It did break my heart, but not in a romatic way... just in a decent human being way.

Just curious (and not in an accusatory way), but why are you so averse to attention from any guy?

BBJ is right; most of us can pick up on when a girl isn't interested. I sure as hell can. I don't need to be told twice, and usually not even once. Maybe part of the problem is that you're assuming that every guy has an ulterior motive and just wants to use you?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
I think you should calm down .

They can just be trying to be friendly. I don't assume a man is interested in me until he tells me or asks me out. Until then, if he talks to me, I assume its just friendly. Try to see them as just trying to make friends, maybe then you'll be more friendly and that doesn't mean you have to flirt either, just be nice and pleasant.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Maybe he thinks that you like him cause you laugh at his jokes during class. Next time, just turn towards him and let him know that you would like to concentrate on your studies and will have to leave the jokes for after class.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:39 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,463 times
Maybe you just need a nap?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:45 PM

400 posts, read 849,726 times
It's easier to just proceed as if you have a shot than it is to figure out what a woman's signals mean. By easier I mean possible.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:52 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Are you positive that they're all hitting on you and not just being friendly?

I befriended a girl at work whom I had no romantic interest in at all once, and we hung out a few times and got along great. We watched movies sitting on her bed and I didn't think anything was going to happen; we went for a long drive in my car with the top down that started in the afternoon and ended near sunset, and I never once had the slightest romantic urge towards her. We got along really well, and I was really happy to have met someone that I got along with so perfectly. She was quickly becoming one of my best friends.

I invited her to a show that a band we'd both expressed interest in was playing and even specifically noted it was with some of my friends. In response, I got the "look, I'm totally not into you, okay? I mean, you're really awesome and fun and cool but I really don't find you attractive and never, ever will and I feel like you're getting waaaaaay too far into me which is really jacked up and creepy, cause that's what my boy-girl radar is picking up is happening here" speech.

I was really, really hurt and offended.

In doing so, she proved herself to be a class-A *****, and I rarely spoke to her after that, even after she apologized and realized she was totally wrong (I had a girlfriend at the time I was fiercely devoted to and pretty much everyone knew it). It did break my heart, but not in a romatic way... just in a decent human being way.

Just curious (and not in an accusatory way), but why are you so averse to attention from any guy?

BBJ is right; most of us can pick up on when a girl isn't interested. I sure as hell can. I don't need to be told twice, and usually not even once. Maybe part of the problem is that you're assuming that every guy has an ulterior motive and just wants to use you?

This has happened to me, and the frustrating part is that they dont believe you when you tell them you arent into them that way either. They think you are just trying to save face..

Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Well, why must a man approach a woman instead of the other way around? Find out why, and then blame THAT process or anthropological development.

As to why she might not want attention from men, the majority of men are interested in women in a sexual sense, they would even extend an interest in a sexual relationship to most of their female "friends". Whereas, women appear to deal differently with that, they are generally NOT interested in a "friend" sexually.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:03 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Get a nice ring and a plain band, and then wear them on your left hand. Problem solved. Any interest from that point should be just the friendly type and if it gets to be pushy, then you can always without defensiveness point to the ring and say "Taken". You don't have to get into a big story or justify that you are not in the "market" to the inevitable inquiring minds.

FWIW, I agree with the calm down comment. Utilize another method such as the fake ring ploy to begin to distinguish between friendliness and come ons. Eventually you will build tools to ward off even the most persistent would be Romeo. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships