Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:29 AM

562 posts, read 659,630 times

Advertisements

Do you believe in Polygamy? Yes, or No, and why........

I believe in Polygamy, but do not practice it because my wife does not agree with it. My reasons are that if a man has more than one wife, he has some variety and does not feel the urge to seek other women outside of his marriage. As well, the normal duties of a wife are shared, giving less of a burden on one wife. The income level of the household is increased significantly if for instance the Husband works, and he has two Wives working.

Of course there are women who say "Well what about ONE WOMAN with multiple husbands?"

To that I point to NATURE. Do you see a pride of lions with more than one Male? A pride of lions has several females and one dominant male who is over the pride. When juvenile males born into the pride are old enough, they are driven off by the dominant male. There are no species on earth in this reverse order of nature. Men dominate, they are the leaders, the protectors. It is nature.

This is just one example. Men and Women both are still instinctual, flesh and blood creatures. We still can see 'alpha males' and 'submissive females' in our everyday lives.

If Polygamy were legalized, which in my opinion it should be, then it might become more popular, and for those who do practice it already, those people will live much better lives by not having to live in fear.

To those who would bring some of the immoral practices sometimes seen amongst some polygamists into this thread, please don't because this thread is about consenting ADULTS, not 14 year old girls forced into marrying 40 year old men with 7 wives already.

For those who may wonder, NO I am not a Mormon, and nor am I a Muslim. I am a Wiccan if you wish to know. A peaceful, earth based religion dating from pre-christian times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 02:22 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Polyandry sounds better to me, but I'm not a lion either. And I can't afford to support multiple men anyway. Nature has other lessons to teach us. What about the female spider who allows a male to mate and then kills him?

This doesn't sound like a great deal to me. Let's see....I get 1/2(or less) of a man, 1/2 of the housework(I'm assuming H does nothing), and I get to work full time. To support H and however many wives he desires. The whole lion thing scares me economically. Those male lions don't hunt unless they are starving. Usually they just lay around waiting for the females to tend to their needs.

There's a REASON why those poor little girls are forced to marry at the age of 12. It's much easier to brainwash the young and uneducated. I'm not thinking there would be many women queueing up to get a piece of this action!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:26 AM

108 posts, read 484,532 times
Hey it works for Hef why not me!

Seriously, this coming from a guy, why would any woman with an inkling of self-respect be interested in this?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:53 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I don't believe in polygamy. I can see how some may view this as a "hey, this sounds great" sort of thing, but I would not want to be in that type of relationship. As I stated in another post, sometimes I just don't share well with others!

Old 05-09-2007, 07:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
"My reasons are that if a man has more than one wife, he has some variety and does not feel the urge to seek other women outside of his marriage."

Why not just stay single - by definition marriage means that you are faithful and true to your husband or wife, so "seeking other women (or men) outside marriage" is simply not an option.

If you want a variety of sexual partners, then marriage isn't for you....did you ever think that women might want a little variety as well? Just bet you wouldn't condone that.

You can either be a mature adult and reserve your passions and desires for your one wife or you can be a big dog in a park - you choose. In my book self control and being faithful are two aspects of being a real man or woman.

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-09-2007 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-09-2007, 07:41 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
From the little bit I understand about it, most women in those relationships are not terribly happy about sharing. They're just afraid God or their husband will backhand them if they don't cooperate. I'm with Cattknap, just forgo marriage if you want to play that game.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:13 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Yeah, I'm not too keen on this whole polygamy thing either. I guess I'm more like a lion than a lioness though because if and when I am single I like to have a lot of guys.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
At this point, I don't support legalizing plural marriage for the same reasons some people use to condemn the idea of gay marriage (which, ironically, I do support.

1. Finding multiple people attractive may be natural but one has a choice about whether to follow up on that attraction.

2. I am not certain if it is a healthy environment for children to grow up in.

3. Unlike those who refer to the Bible to back up their disavowment of gay relationships, I don't agree with the interpretation of Christianity that validates polygamy.

I find the lion analogy interesting because, at least in the fundamentalist LDS sects, the "weaker pride" i.e. the teenage males are essentially kicked out of the clan before they become a threat to claim wives away from the adult males. (And yes, I realize that this group is different from the more mainstream Mormons whom I respect.) On another note, there are cultures (not necessarily Westernized) in which the women are the ones that "hunt" while the men take care of home.

I probably need to do more research before making a final decision... but at this point, I would support the ideal of legalizing civil unions for plural relationships but not marriage. The individuals involved can work out legal arrangements for themselves; no need to complicate the government with all of that.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:31 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Tone - "fundamentalist LDS sects" - there is nothing LDS about them - any member caught practicing polygamy is excommunicated...so they are no longer LDS - they may be former LDS members, but I really don't like seeing polygamists being referred to as LDS - gives an incorrect impression...to me they are simply polygamists, period.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
You put yourself on the same level as animals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships