Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:34 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
"My reasons are that if a man has more than one wife, he has some variety and does not feel the urge to seek other women outside of his marriage."

Why not just stay single - by definition marriage means that you are faithful and true to your husband or wife, so "seeking other women (or men) outside marriage" is simply not an option.

If you want a variety of sexual partners, then marriage isn't for you....did you ever think that women might want a little variety as well? Just bet you wouldn't condone that.

You can either be a mature adult and reserve your passions and desires for your one wife or you can be a big dog in a park - you choose. In my book self control and being faithful are two aspects of being a real man or woman.
I think some men who are interested in this type of arrangement see it as a free ride for #1, meaning them. They get to jump from bed to bed while multiple women compete for their favors and support them.

I agree, if you want multiple partners, you should be single. Why make promises you can't keep? But.....that means these men would have to make their own living, do their own laundry, and cook their own food. Dirty jobs for one who DESERVES to be adored and served by many women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 10:03 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,519 times
I would think this type of relationship is going to spread STDs faster than an uncontrollable wildfire.
Not for me.. thank you

Old 05-09-2007, 10:42 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Tone - "fundamentalist LDS sects" - there is nothing LDS about them - any member caught practicing polygamy is excommunicated...so they are no longer LDS - they may be former LDS members, but I really don't like seeing polygamists being referred to as LDS - gives an incorrect impression...to me they are simply polygamists, period.
I hear you, Cattknap. That's why I distinguished the FLDS from mainstream Mormons in my post. I already understood that the former were excommunicated from the latter. I can appreciate how you would want to be clear on that, though.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
kudos Cattknap! absolutely correct! and Tone I'm glad you appreciate the difference, unfortunately there are still those who don't!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:50 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,818 times
I believe in polyamory. Which is where someone can be in love with more than just one person. Sometimes it's 3 people, sometimes it's 2 couples, or whatever works. It is rare though, because if you think about it, it's hard enough to find two people who want to spend the rest of their lives with the other much less 3 or 4.

My husband and I will be married 15 years this year, so it works for us. We are not in a polyamory relationship at the moment, but we have been in the past.

It does not work for everyone, and that's fine. I normally don't bring it up because most people freak out about it and think we're strange.

We fell in love with each other as individuals and maintain that today, our individuality. However, we also have a deep bond as a couple and don't mind sharing our love with others as long each other knows about it.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,941 times
I don't believe in polygamy...Bible based reasons. But even if you take that out of the equation, I wouldn't want to be one of the multiple wives. It's not in me to fight for any man's attention/respect/love and I don't think it's possible for 1 man to have say 5 wives and give them all the same quantity and quality of attention. And there are just some things I don't share.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:32 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I don't believe in polygamy...Bible based reasons. But even if you take that out of the equation, I wouldn't want to be one of the multiple wives. It's not in me to fight for any man's attention/respect/love and I don't think it's possible for 1 man to have say 5 wives and give them all the same quantity and quality of attention. And there are just some things I don't share.
These are my sentiments exactly...but along those lines, Seahawksweetie, I'm curious. Did jealousy never enter into the equation?? I would be surprised, morality issues aside, that this would not be a huge issue here. Would be with me, I'm afraid.:

Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
These are my sentiments exactly...but along those lines, Seahawksweetie, I'm curious. Did jealousy never enter into the equation?? I would be surprised, morality issues aside, that this would not be a huge issue here. Would be with me, I'm afraid.:
To answer your question,

No, jealousy never enters into it, on either side. We are both very secure and comfortable in our marriage. (I'm not saying other people aren't secure). As I said, it's not for everyone. It just happens to work for us.

And for those wondering about the safety issue, safety is practiced at all times, first and foremost.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:07 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
I never was and never would be in a polygamist relationship. Having said that, in business some of my best clients were. They seemed happy and yes I met their wives and they were intelligent and happy also. The thinking that the wives were beat down is wrong.(at least in the groups I met) The wives worked in banks, one was a lawyer,counter help at the local deli and a variety of other jobs. Put it this way- I never had to worry their checks were not good!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:10 PM

562 posts, read 660,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
I would think this type of relationship is going to spread STDs faster than an uncontrollable wildfire.
Not for me.. thank you
Why would you think that? One man, and two women (or more women) all in a FAMILY together? Why would STD's be transmitted to those outside of the family?

Many of you seem ignorant in this respect. Thinking that polygamy is going to promote sex OUTSIDE of the family. The reverse is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships