Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:26 PM

741 posts, read 1,291,328 times

Advertisements

CREEEPPPY, just plain creepy and weird!

I have a Future SIL (glorified girlfriend of my brothers') who is dumb enough to walk around my parents house in my presence "hoping" outloud that she will get certain things when my parents die. Touching our family heirlooms telling my brother that she "wants dibs" on this or that. She jokes that she needs to "get to the house first" when my parents die.

Ummmmm. My parents are young and in perfect health. What the heck? Should I tell my brother this is really creepy and bothering me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,570,122 times
Skip the brother. Have your parents make a will/trust laying out who gets what before they get married.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:37 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,288,005 times
I'm direct, so I would confront the girlfriend. That's just weird behavior. Talking about death is very taboo, nevermind in such a disturbing manner. Even joking about that is weird.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,044,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Should I tell my brother this is really creepy and bothering me?
::neck crawlies:: What does your brother say when his .. whatever she is ... makes those remarks?

I'm not suggesting you do this, but if I was in that scenario, I would be perverse enough to look out on the internet for a will template. I'd then fill it out in a manner that indicates my parents drew it up with text that indicates all possessions go to myself. In bold would be an indication that the reason is a fear of future in-laws predatory nature. Leave it out where the woman would be sure to find it.

As a matter of common sense advice, this woman sounds like the kind who would escalate the behavior if she knew she was getting attention for it. I'd advise detachment. If your parents know of her behavior (do they?) it's for them to decide how this influences the inheritance left to your brother.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM

741 posts, read 1,291,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
::neck crawlies:: What does your brother say when his .. whatever she is ... makes those remarks?

I'm not suggesting you do this, but if I was in that scenario, I would be perverse enough to look out on the internet for a will template. I'd then fill it out in a manner that indicates my parents drew it up with text that indicates all possessions go to myself. In bold would be an indication that the reason is a fear of future in-laws predatory nature. Leave it out where the woman would be sure to find it.

As a matter of common sense advice, this woman sounds like the kind who would escalate the behavior if she knew she was getting attention for it. I'd advise detachment. If your parents know of her behavior (do they?) it's for them to decide how this influences the inheritance left to your brother.
Haven't talked to my parents yet as I hate talking about death. Probably should just double check they have everything ready.
It's just this terrible feeling of loathing watching an unrelated person manhandle the great grandparents candy dish claiming "dibs".

Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM

14,571 posts, read 23,120,899 times
I'd lay into her so bad she'd be in therapy by the end of the week.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,876,991 times
Like the snake, or any other animal, a vulture can't help what they are.

What's your brothers excuse for choosing this kind of creature for a girlfriend?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:09 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,779,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Like the snake, or any other animal, a vulture can't help what they are.

What's your brothers excuse for choosing this kind of creature for a girlfriend?
It probably is the rack

Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,044,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
It's just this terrible feeling of loathing watching an unrelated person manhandle the great grandparents candy dish claiming "dibs".
Yeah, it would be tempting to snatch it back, telling the woman to keep her slimy paws off, but again, these are your parents things. If that woman is expected to become an in-law then they are the ones who need to establish boundaries and expectations of behavior in their house.

I would discuss it with your parents, letting them know how she behaves if they aren't aware of it and how uncomfortable you are. You can go to your brother, but don't count on it being a constructive conversation. He might well say "oh, she's just joking, pay no mind." You could also confront the girlfriend, but given her absolute insensitivity to anyone else' feelings and general ghoulishness what kind of answer would you expect in return? Again, I would advise going to your parents about this.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,531,689 times
That is just creepy and wrong on so many levels. I would sit them both down and explain that it is not proper for her to be calling "dibs" on anything.

My husbands Mom and Grandmother have asked me to specify what I want after they pass and I told them, "whatever you want to leave to "us" is your decision". His Grandmother actually asked me to put those little colored dot stickers on the things I wanted. I told her that I did not feel comfortable doing that.

Your brothers girlfriend has no right to ask for anything. Even when they are married I don't think she has the right unless specifically asked by your parents if there is anything in particular the BOTH of them would like.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships