Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,483,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
funny.

Hey Sifu Phil, I noticed in another thread you mentioned a few things about some chinese herbs. Have you read "Scholar Warrior" by Deng Meng Dao? Its required reading for my students at a certain level in their training. The author lists some pretty good Chinese herbal recipies for health. In addition to the herbal soups/teas, etc. he talks about some really interesting things relating to the martial arts and living as a Scholar Warrior. I know you would really enjoy.

Another couple of really good reads that I know you would enjoy - "Living The Martial Way" by Forrest Morgan and "Chronicles of Dao" by Deng Meng Dao (one of my favorite books of all time).
Is that Chronicles of Tao: The Secret Life of a Taoist Master?

I just ordered all these books for my son on Amazon. He loves books like this. Thanks for the mention of these books!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,266,592 times
Forget it. It's not worth it.

Last edited by sierraAZ; 05-09-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,649,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
More and more surreal by the day!

Their manual has been controversial in the past, but the latest version, DSM-V, has to be regarded as the most questionable ever devised because they've now listed people with a variety of previously ordinary conditions as suddenly having a treatable mental illness, such as children who struggle with math problems or kids who can't easily master writing skills!

Interesting, but DSM-V isn't even published yet - it isn't due until May 2013.

Perhaps this "author-with-an-agenda" has inside information on it, huh? After all, he IS a doctor...that would mean he'd have to be on the consulting/planning committee that was formed in '99 by a joint committee of the APA and NIMH...and he would also have to know exactly what material is going to make the final cut 2 years down the road...

Hell, he could just make a living at the track instead of wasting his time blogging!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Perhaps this "author-with-an-agenda" has inside information on it, huh?
Obviously. There are plenty of articles out about the removal of NPD as well. Remember we were discussing it long time ago?

Only your agenda continues to puzzle me - even on subjects such as this one. It appears that all of this sounds OK to you. Maybe I should try switching to Bourbon, if it makes everything look rosy.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,769,764 times
Quote:
More and more surreal by the day!

Their manual has been controversial in the past, but the latest version, DSM-V, has to be regarded as the most questionable ever devised because they've now listed people with a variety of previously ordinary conditions as suddenly having a treatable mental illness, such as children who struggle with math problems or kids who can't easily master writing skills!

If you think that's crazy, then know that one disorder that didn't make the manual was something they were planning to dub "psychosis risk syndrome." Had it been approved, "PRS" would have "identified" treatable children by predicting they would get a mental illness as early as at birth, which could then be treated before it occurred.

Can We Depend on the Quality of Medical Treatments Today?
Did you see that Dr. Mercola has a shopping page where you can buy everything from supplements to light bulbs?

Natural Health Products by Dr. Joseph Mercola

The math thing sounds like dyscalculia, a disorder that was defined in the 70s.

Dyscalculia.org

Developmental Dyscalculia

If they put a new name on it, OK.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Did you see that Dr. Mercola has a shopping page where you can buy everything from supplements to light bulbs?
Yeah, I'm aware of it.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,483,075 times
Quote:
Forget it. It's not worth it.
Are you talking about the books?

Old 05-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Obviously. There are plenty of articles out about the removal of NPD as well. Remember we were discussing it long time ago?
Yes, I remember. But nothing is set in stone, especially in the medical publishing world. Things change...

Quote:
Only your agenda continues to puzzle me - even on subjects such as this one. It appears that all of this sounds OK to you. Maybe I should try switching to Bourbon, if it makes everything look rosy.
The way I see it, the more the world screws up the more parking spots there are for me.

I wouldn't know about bourbon - I don't drink it.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Natural Health Products by Dr. Joseph Mercola
*gasp* You mean...you mean...no, no you COULDN'T mean that...

*shock* ...that Dr. Mercola has...has...*shiver*...

...an agenda?!?

Gee, the ol' man is right again, huh? Wonders never cease...

Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Are you talking about the books?
I'm not talking about anything. I'm impulsive at times and do things against my better judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I wouldn't know about bourbon - I don't drink it.
I thought you did. Well, whatever your poison was it seems to work better than mine. Unless the secret is in the quantity...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships