Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 01:39 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,917,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Is it wrong that I am laughing at some of the snarky remarks some posters tell each other in here (these threads)?
Nope, I do it all the time.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,269,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Is it wrong that I am laughing at some of the snarky remarks some posters tell each other in here (these threads)?
I love it when nuts turn on each other and eat their own.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:53 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,055,805 times
I learned something tonight/morning.

My best friend, whom I've known since I was about 5 years young, found out that he's been a schitzophrenic when he was 21. I didn't know this until now, but I've known he's had some issues in his life. He's attempted to kill himself a number of times, but he's at least reached out for help and has been a different person since his diagnosis and taking his medications.

And he's a crazy MMA fighter. He's one of the reasons why no one would mess with me very much in school. I didn't have to fight if someone got in my face, he'd throw them before things got out of hand. He got suspended a lot for it, too.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:53 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,666,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

My best friend, whom I've known since I was about 5 years young, found out that he's been a schitzophrenic when he was 21. I didn't know this until now, but I've known he's had some issues in his life. He's attempted to kill himself a number of times, but he's at least reached out for help and has been a different person since his diagnosis and taking his medications.

And he's a crazy MMA fighter. He's one of the reasons why no one would mess with me very much in school. I didn't have to fight if someone got in my face, he'd throw them before things got out of hand. He got suspended a lot for it, too.
This is from a list of 12 common symptoms of schizophrenia. I post it not to suggest your friend really isn't schizophrenic but to illustrate how close to the border we all can walk occasionally.

1. --A blank, vacant facial expression. An inability to smile or express emotion through the face is so characteristic of the disease that it was given the name of affective flattening or a blunt affect.
  2. --Overly acute senses- lights are too bright, sounds are too loud.
  3. --Staring, while in deep thought, with infrequent blinking.
  4. --Clumsy, inexact motor skills
  5. --Sleep disturbances- insomnia or excessive sleeping
  6. --Involuntary movements of the tongue or mouth (facial dyskinesias). Grimacing at the corners of the mouth with the facial muscles, or odd movements with the tongue.
  7. --Parkinsonian type symptoms- rigidity, tremor, jerking arm movements, or involuntary movements of the limbs
  8. --An awkward gait (how you walk)
  9. --Eye movements- difficulty focusing on slow moving objects
  10. --Unusual gestures or postures
  11. --Movement is speeded up- i.e. constant pacing
  12. --Movement is slowed down- staying in bed (in extreme cases, catatonia)

I have been guilty of #1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11 and 12 at one time or another - 75% of the list! But those symptoms all have a "rational" explanation.

...at least to me. And to me. And me.

Last edited by SifuPhil; 05-29-2011 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: Added attribution link

Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,269,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

My uncle was and my family was in total denial and I could see many signs then, at the age of 32, after a number of disturbing things, he lay down on a railroad track and let a train run over him.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:16 AM

10,183 posts, read 20,842,717 times
Default Psychiatric Hotline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
This is from a list of 12 common symptoms of schizophrenia. I post it not to suggest your friend really isn't schizophrenic but to illustrate how close to the border we all can walk occasionally.

1. --A blank, vacant facial expression. An inability to smile or express emotion through the face is so characteristic of the disease that it was given the name of affective flattening or a blunt affect.
  6. --Involuntary movements of the tongue or mouth (facial dyskinesias). Grimacing at the corners of the mouth with the facial muscles, or odd movements with the tongue.
  7. --Parkinsonian type symptoms- rigidity, tremor, jerking arm movements, or involuntary movements of the limbs

I have been guilty of #1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11 and 12 at one time or another - 75% of the list! But those symptoms all have a "rational" explanation.

Reminds me of this:

Please listen carefully, for the selections have changed:

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly,

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone else to press 2.

If you have multiple personalities, please press 3, 4, 5, & 6

If you are a paranoid-delusional, we know who you are and what you want. Just stay on the line so we can trace your call.

If you are schizophrenic, you will either hear a voice tell you which number to press.

If you are manic-depressive and in the down phase, it doesn't matter which number you press, we wi11 not answer, and if we do, we would not able to help you-and we charge an arm and a leg. if you are in the upper phase, then everything is fine and you don't need help (yet)-nor do we need our counselor listening to your endless chatter.

If you are paranoid-schizophrenic, watch out! The thing you are holding on the side of your head has just woke-up, and it is about to bite you head off.

If you are merely a neurotic mess or borderline, you have already pushed everybody's buttons.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:35 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,729,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I thought that there are some wack jobs in Relationships..... head over to Politics, man, some crazies over there.
P&OC is the greatest time-suck ever

Old 05-29-2011, 10:30 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,318,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Reminds me of this:

LOL

A psychiatrist asks his patient, "So, since when have you believed that you were a cat?

The patient replies, "Ever since I was a kitten."

Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,055,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

He suffered from many of those, now that I think about it, but he had this problem since he was 5, and a few of those were more than obvious than others. I didn't know he was schitzo, but I never thought about doing research on it or had any thoughts about it either.

The crazy thing about it though was he could go a week or more without sleep. I didn't know what to think about that, I just thought he was just an insomniac, but I had no idea he had a more serious disease.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,612,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
P&OC is the greatest time-suck ever
I only discuss politics & religion with certain people- those who realize my way is the right way.
Kidding- the second part of the sentence is why I don't discuss politics or religion with just anyone because too many of them honestly believe their way is the only way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships