Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 02:30 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times

Advertisements

I've been dating a lot lately, and have found that a high percentage of men have asked me to get involved with them in an friends-with-benefits relationship, often with claims that we will "see if things develop" into more. I just had this laid on me yet again, this time on the third date with a man. I hear this so often (and so bluntly) I have to conclude that there are a lot of women who are happy to be in this sort of arrangement. Fair enough, whatever floats your boat!

For those of you get involved in this sort of thing, do you think it might develop into a "real" relationship, or are you just going along for the ride? In my mind, dating and having sex with a guy like this will just be a waste of my time.

PS - I am not a prude, had more of an FB situation with a younger guy for a little more than a year. (... and I went back there a few weeks ago, it was a necessity... but I digress.) I view that as a different situation, there was no pretend dating involved.

PPS - please no he-man woman-hater remarks about how American women are 'hos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 02:38 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
If its mutually benefical and on good terms with no drama then why not???

Old 04-27-2011, 02:41 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
If its mutually benefical and on good terms with no drama then why not???
Ok... but that doesn't address the question:

For those of you get involved in this sort of thing, do you think it might develop into a "real" relationship, or are you just going along for the ride?

Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM

859 posts, read 2,830,006 times
I'm not a women but I can tell you that I have had a couple of FWB relationships in the past and they were all with women older than myself. neither of us had illusions it was going to turn into a relationship. I also hear a few of my GF's friends talk about the guys they're "seeing" and we're just friends, but the sex is good" is heard pretty often.

From a guys point of view. it seem like there is a lot of that going on these days.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:08 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,567 times
Not 35 yet and have not been in a FWB situation but from observing the people I know, I don't believe these type of arrangements can progress into real relationships. If anything, they get worse.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:20 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
For those of you get involved in this sort of thing, do you think it might develop into a "real" relationship, or are you just going along for the ride? In my mind, dating and having sex with a guy like this will just be a waste of my time.
If your looking for a LTR you are probably wasting your time. I have done FWB and would again but because Im not seeking a "real" relationship. Times that I have been fwb, neither party was looking for the relationship to progress. If they are telling you "we'll see if things develop", there not friends with benefits, just benefits because that is leading and they really mean if nothing else/better develops for me, you'll do, but when something does come along, Im out of here.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:33 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,146,129 times
I've never done it because I'd be afraid that feelings would get in the way eventually. As it is, I'm kinda prudish with the whole sex thing- I'm not really THAT into sex and anyone who would want to have sex with me, they'd better hope that I'd be into them in ways more than just mere friendship.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
You need to put boundries in place in the very beginning. Hopefully the two of you can stick to them..

Old 04-27-2011, 04:58 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
No it won't. You will be considered 'another port in the storm'.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,745,758 times
I have a SO but when I was single and 40 I never considered FWB. It just isn't my style. I prefer men to be lovers interested in a LTR and I personally have never settled for being someone's booty call. I don't need sex that much...that's what the Jack rabbit was invented for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships