Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 04:03 PM

950 posts, read 1,518,992 times

Advertisements

I bet nobody personally knows an example of a working class guy with below average looks, that has an attractive girlfriend or wife.

Like for example "Yo dude you remember Ralph that fat greyhound bus driver with a huge hooked nose who was at my brother's wedding party, yeah what about him ? I saw him having lunch with his wife the other day, and boy does she look smoking hot".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:26 PM

37,742 posts, read 46,207,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I bet nobody personally knows an example of a working class guy with below average looks, that has an attractive girlfriend or wife.

Like for example "Yo dude you remember Ralph that fat greyhound bus driver with a huge hooked nose who was at my brother's wedding party, yeah what about him ? I saw him having lunch with his wife the other day, and boy does she look smoking hot".
I know a guy that is definitely "below average", looks-wise. AND he's a pain-in-the-@ss know-it-all as well. Arrogant. He IS smart though. Quite smart. His wife is absolutely gorgeous. Model-material.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:41 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,666,494 times
Quote:

I know quite a few actually. Plenty of blue collar guys who are no oil paintings and have really attractive GF/wives. Not everyone is as shallow some people think. The guy who came and did our sash windows for us is way below average looks and his wife is a gorgeous Czech girl ( who is white collar herself), blonde, tall and leggy. They both seem pretty in love too. He is a real sweetheart, funny and a good guy.

Some of us females rate this really highly.

It's rarer perhaps but I have also seen good looking guys with not so attractive GF/wives as well. Chemistry is a mysterious thing.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:48 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,654,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I know a guy that is definitely "below average", looks-wise. AND he's a pain-in-the-@ss know-it-all as well. Arrogant. He IS smart though. Quite smart. His wife is absolutely gorgeous. Model-material.
Substitute "ladyfriend" for "wife" and you could be describing me.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:47 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,115,588 times
Like anyhting else everyones different and youll get a vary of answers..

Some people are extremely shallow..

I think most people can become more turned on by someone with charisma and a good personality but there has to be at least some physical attraction even on a small level to begin with..Not many people can be withs omeone they find unattractive or repulsive even if they have a great personality..

Then theres people who have no choice or options and have to be with somebody they arent attracted to because its all they can get..

Old 05-14-2011, 04:28 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,869,822 times
Default For This Thread, How Do You Define Personality?

There are different aspects of personality and each has a role to play in making a relationship happen and making a relationship succeed. Personality is a broad topic.

What is apparent is that there are three levels that women work from in selecting a man, maintaining a relationship and ultimately committing to him.

Initially, it is rather superficial. They look for the attributes that one can see from a distance - attributes in a man that make them feel good about themselves. When they say that they want a man with "confidence" this is an aspect of personality. Usually, however, it is an aspect that ties very closely and correlates very closely to his other attractive attributes.

The next stage is whether he impresses those who she wants to impress. An outgoing personality, within limits helps with this. Her girlfriends will be favorably impressed with a charmer who goes up to but doesn't cross the line of hitting on them. If she cares what her family thinks, they will often be impressed with the salesman persona, as long as he can follow through, to a certain extent.

The last stage, often if not usually does not manifest itself until after she's committed to him. These are the type of personality traits that will lead to the type of co-operation and compromise that is so important in a marriage. Often such guys aren't good in these areas since it's never been expected of them.

Perhaps the latter is what you are referring to since it is often at this point that women find that they have not found a man with a "good" personality. This is hardly news, since women often make this mistake in so many ways too. They think that "love" and the marriage vows will get him overcome these problems, but it's usually too late by then. Of course, the man she married was just giving her more of what she initially wanted and he's angry that she has now changed her tune.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:15 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,333,259 times
Typically I don't post in threads that are longer than a few pages but. . .

No, I don't really agree with this "fact". I suppose there are people out there who still stick with someone just because of his or her looks. But I can tell you that, in my case, looks alone are incredibly BORING, and I've always been like that. A guy has GOT to have something else to carry his looks or I lose interest in a big hurry. And the world's handsomest man could blow it for me in 2 seconds flat the moment he opens his mouth to speak.

I'll never forget the time when I worked as a waitress, and an incredibly nice-looking man would come in by himself and sit at the counter. He was very quiet and no one knew him, but the single girls drooled. One night he came in a bit drunk, and he sat in my station. Judging by his flirtatious behavior, I got the feeling he'd taken notice of me for some time. I was married and didn't care. But, I'll tell ya, hearing him talk made him look different to me from then on.

Looks alone are merely an attraction ~ it is not the glue to secure a relationship.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:10 PM

950 posts, read 1,518,992 times
Among women who say a man's physical appearance does not matter and what counts is on the inside, the vast majority of these women are themselves ugly, which is why they do not have the luxery of being picky when it comes to a man's physical appearance.

For beautiful women, the only time a man's physical appearance does not matter is when money is involved. But outside of the money factor, attractive women are indeed picky when it comes to a man's physical appearance.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,227,030 times
Quote:
Among women who say a man's physical appearance does not matter and what counts is on the inside, the vast majority of these women are themselves ugly, which is why they do not have the luxery of being picky when it comes to a man's physical appearance.

For beautiful women, the only time a man's physical appearance does not matter is when money is involved. But outside of the money factor, attractive women are indeed picky when it comes to a man's physical appearance.
Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Honestly! I am a very attractive woman. I have never cared what a guy looks like. Money has never mattered to me either. It's about the total package. My attraction to a guy is based on soooo much more than his looks. I've dated guys that my girlfriends thought were ugly. My one roommate kept telling me that I could do so much better than the guys I chose to date. But these guys were all funny, smart, talented, and honest. I think my husband is the handsomest man in the world - but I don't even remember what my first impression of him was. All I know is that he's my perfect match - and he would be regardless of what his outer appearance looked like.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,111,841 times
Personality is the #1f trait that I look for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships