Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:58 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I just fail to see the point in encouraging these kinds of generalizations or the people who blame this kind of stuff for why they can't get a woman or man
Many are very much out of touch with reality. Feeding them more sugar-coated BS doesn't help them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What if you're in a league all your own??
Then you're only allowed to play with yourself.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,376 times
What about ugly and rich man married to a beautiful and sometimes poor woman. I see that a lot. If he wasn't rich, he would'nt have a beautiful woman. If she wasn't beautiful, she may not live the lifestyle of being rich. They cancel each other out. More power to them.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
OP, the problem as you present it is a binary decision tree, and in no way reflects real life unless ALL ELSE is equal. Real world attraction is a multivariate analysis, where one or more factors can compensate for another in various ways.

Besides, a "dumb" person wouldn't know better than to hit on a smart person. Duh!

Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
But stepka, if they let us in would we want to join?
I agree. I'm not into joining any club. That way of thinking is too weird for me.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:15 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
What about ugly and rich man married to a beautiful and sometimes poor woman. I see that a lot. If he wasn't rich, he would'nt have a beautiful woman. If she wasn't beautiful, she may not live the lifestyle of being rich. They cancel each other out. More power to them.
Or what about the beautiful and independently rich girl that marries someone uglier than herself?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:20 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,192 times
If I was to tell a women she was out of my league it would not because I thought she was better or superior to me. It would simply be that her background and lifestyle does not mesh with mine. Take for instance a women that was a dyed in the wool urbanite. Her league is completely foreign to mine that prefers a rural existence. I would prefer a gal like the one called Elizabeth on the Swamp people TV show. A gal that hunts alligators and is as pretty as she is makes for one dynamic package! Hmm... she might be out of my league, them alligators look like something I would not want to mess with.

So for me the concept of leagues is the life pattern you live with. Not looks, not inherited wealth, not celebrity status. But what kind of person that makes you fit with my kind of person.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:38 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
If I was to tell a women she was out of my league it would not because I thought she was better or superior to me. It would simply be that her background and lifestyle does not mesh with mine. Take for instance a women that was a dyed in the wool urbanite. Her league is completely foreign to mine that prefers a rural existence. I would prefer a gal like the one called Elizabeth on the Swamp people TV show. A gal that hunts alligators and is as pretty as she is makes for one dynamic package! Hmm... she might be out of my league, them alligators look like something I would not want to mess with.

So for me the concept of leagues is the life pattern you live with. Not looks, not inherited wealth, not celebrity status. But what kind of person that makes you fit with my kind of person.
Exactly. ^^^^

Old 05-20-2011, 11:04 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post

This is what I was saying, if anyone is in any league it is one of proximity. You will meet your partners where you are, doing what you do, and there are just too many variables to boil it down to single traits or income or any other one thing. This league, or life you live, or simple proximity, call it what you will, will be different though based on income and education and other factors, there is no reason to deny this as a truth.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:41 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Or what about the beautiful and independently rich girl that marries someone uglier than herself?
Are you talking about a self made millionaire woman who is for example a 9 in the looks department, that starts dating a man who is a 3 in the looks departmant and only makes 30 thousand dollars a year. Shyt like that does not happen in real life, it can only happen in the make believe fantasy that is Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships