Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 04:21 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times

Advertisements

Reason I ask is because I see a lot of older women 35 and over who say they have a hard time dating. I'm not too far from 35(29). However,my generation will have men from the baby boomer years to date,so will we have a better chance of finding a marriage partner because of more men available? Or is that a silly thought because most are married?
I'm getting nervous reading these threads,I get the feeling life is over at 30(according to a lot of threads)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:54 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Reason I ask is because I see a lot of older women 35 and over who say they have a hard time dating. I'm not too far from 35(29). However,my generation will have men from the baby boomer years to date,so will we have a better chance of finding a marriage partner because of more men available? Or is that a silly thought because most are married?
I'm getting nervous reading these threads,I get the feeling life is over at 30(according to a lot of threads)
Don't listen to any of these threads. You have 6 more years before you are 35 y.o.

Life is just BEGINNING at 30. Really, life begins when you're ready to get out there and explore life and open yourself up to adventure be it 30, 50, 60 or even 80 years old. Age is just a number.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
I don't know if it'll be easier per se. Perhaps mariginally better than it was in the past due to more men holding out on marriage until they themselves are more stable, making more of them available.

But other than the obvious, it'll really come down to where you're trying to fit in. If you're trying live out your early 30s as a young 20 something would (et al 30 is the new 20)...then the men in that crowd may see you as too "old" to some extent. If you're trying act and live like a woman in her 30s,and surround yourself with men within that same 10 year age bracket, then you'll be considered to be amongst the younger of the bunch which increases your chances. Unfortunately for some women, men do place a large value on youth when they consider women for marriage and life long commitments.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:22 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Once your cross 30, increase your date's age limit to a range of 28-55 or something

Works like a charm Papas need love too.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
It wasn't till I was 30 that I even MET my partner...up until then, I'd been dating mostly unsatisfying guys. As it happened, shortly after I turned 30, I met a quality guy. He's younger than me, too. Hah! I will say that most of the selection available in my twenties could be well-described as immature, irresponsible, and annoying. The selection has definitely improved with age.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
I think that part of the answer lies in whether or not you already have or will want children. The older you get the greater the risks, and men are aware of this even if subconsciously. If the man has had children then it may not be as much an issue as long as you don't want (more?) children, but there is still the biological imperative to seek a healthy, fertile woman. That fact may be the reason mid-30 through 40's women may have difficulty attracting men in their age group, as their reproductive attraction is rapidly declining.

Of course, a lot does depend on how attractive you're perceived, and fair or not, like it or not, physical attraction is going to be very high on the list for the vast majority of men. The older you get the more you have to have going for you in all ways, at least until you're past the age where men are seeking a mate for children.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
This is less of a concern if, like me, you meet somebody who is undecided on when he wants children, and is very interested in fostering and adoption. In my case, my childbearing potential (not fertility, but ability to carry a child to term) has been compromised all my life, due to a congenital uterine abnormality. I'm healthy and fertile, but my ability to sustain a pregnancy has been sketchy at best all my life, although I wasn't aware of this until I was 32 or so. Because of this, we'll likely either have to go the surrogate route or adopt, unless we want to run what's considered a very high risk of multiple miscarriages with a narrow margin of success. Not sure either of us has the time or emotional fortitude to go through that, and both of us are pro-adoption. So my birth defect in effect has loosened the "ticking time clock" restriction for me. It wouldn't have mattered how young or old I was when I met somebody, bearing children was never something that was going to be an easy road, and fertility isn't the issue.

People need to realize that reproductive ability is about more than just age. My SIL's fertility was damaged by seizure medication, and all of my neices/nephews were conceived with IVF, and she and my brother were midtwenties when they started. Reproductive concerns can occur along any timeline. It's not like it's smooth sailing until you get older. Marrying young is no guarantee that starting a family is going to be easy or even in the cards, medically.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 AM

169 posts, read 159,629 times
I didn't meet and marry my husband till I was 34. Kissed alot of toads till i found him. Bad marriage when I was younger made me wary

My husband is a rarity in todays age. I don't think I could be single again. Me and him fit each other like gloves.We are that couple that spends all our time together and still like/love each other.

you can find love at 35 you just have to learn what you really want. i almost didn't go out whim a 2nd time and then thought how much i really liked HIM.. not his money or his car or whatever.

women and men need to quit being so shallow

Old 05-22-2011, 11:34 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,899,669 times
Im 31 I wouldnt go out with anyone over 25 and will continue to do so for as long as I can

Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Im 31 I wouldnt go out with anyone over 25 and will continue to do so for as long as I can
Good luck on trying to stay young. It's one thing to date younger men because you can, another when you won't date anyone over 25 because you need to try to stay young. That's pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships