Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:48 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
It's a plus...especially if he plays acoustic guitar or piano.

It's a minus if he's a drummer...I don't mind drums, but I can't listen to them endlessly.
Piano and acoustic guitar are the 2 best, because they're romantic but not effeminately so. They're also versatile and you can find a lot of music for them, even something she'll like. Sax is also good.

Drums are not romantic because they're not melodic instruments, so they won't score points. Avoid the nerd instruments like brass (tuba, trumpet), accordians, and bag-pipes. Violin is a romantic instrument but it's rather feminine so it probably won't score points. Harmonica, banjo, clarinet & flute are neutral. Singing is a plus if you can do it very well. Otherwise it's a negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,899 times
For some people playing is something that is personal and not shared. Certainly not used as date bait.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:11 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
I dated a guitar player for awhile and his talent definitely helped in the attraction. I'm a singer - and I know that he was attracted to my talent as well. However, my husband could care less about my singing. I mean - he thinks I'm an amazing singer - but it has nothing to do with why he loves me. At first this was hard for me to understand - I'm used to men being attracted to me partly for my singing. But then he explained that he would still love me just as much if I couldn't sing a note and I realized that it was better this way. My husband loves me for who I am - not how I sing. But I will admit that I find talent attractive in a person. My husband is not a musician - but he's extremely good at his job - and I find that attractive. Hmm... I guess I will end my rambling with this - I think it is turn on when someone does something really well - no matter what it is, especially if they do this for a living - but all the talent in the world can't turn someone into being compatible with you if they simply aren't right for you.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Is it the same thing if he doesn't play an instrument, but takes you to his home studio so you can listen some of his "Beats?"

Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 AM

193 posts, read 450,055 times
Definately a plus for me! I'd love to be serenaded, even if the guy is not yet proficient on the instrument. At best it is romantic and at worst it shows he has a goofy side, which is also a plus. But then, maybe I'm biased because I am learning to play also and can appreciate how courageous it is to put yourself out there and be vulnerable when you are playing.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
One reason that it was important to me to date somebody who is a fellow musician is because I perform vocally. It's something I enjoy sharing with the person I'm dating, and when I've dated people who aren't especially musical or musicians themselves, they haven't been all that interested in coming to my performances. In a relationship with somebody who is also a musician, we both always have one another in the audience and enthusiastic about it.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:28 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
My SO is a blues guitarist and writes a lot of his own music as well. I think the dedication it takes to master an instrument is an admirable trait. And I do love his music. I admire his talent too.

The down side is spending a lot of evenings out toting gear from bar to bar. That's tough. And it can become boring in time because he is playing and you are just sitting there alone. But, it's all part of the package and you do what needs to be done. I can't imagine him NOT playing with all the talent, work, and effort he has put into it. Music is part of who he is.

Everyone does something. Too many men I have known prefer couch surfing and watching any and all sports, all day long, in every spare moment. I'll take the music any day.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:33 PM

296 posts, read 542,920 times
I really care less. So I suppose I'm neutral about it.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:43 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
After years of hard practice I finally learned how to tap dance, juggle three raw eggs, and play "Canadian Sunset" on the tuba, all at the same time. Whaddaya think happened? The ladies ran from me.
However, a lady that knows how to play a flute may be quite interesting.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:20 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Your thoughts?
Definitely a plus...guitar or piano? More points! Everyone knows that musicians and athletes get all the girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships