Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 02:30 AM

431 posts, read 1,310,652 times

Advertisements

I think I wasted $80. I've sent out 27 emails and 130 winks with only 1 response that was "hi" and haven't heard anything since. I try to write something geared towards each person. My marriage ended by being cheated on(with at least the 4th person) which was enough of a blow to the self esteem. My ex is a very selfish, self centered person who doesn't care who she hurts and what damage she causes. But now this is kicking me while I'm down. I knew not to do it, but stupidly I did. I am always received better in person. I am not even sure why I am posting this. I guess out of frustration. I need to vent or something. Maybe I need to adjust my standards, I haven't dated since I was 19. I am 34 now and I have wasted my life away with that woman. I am loyal to fault. She has MS and I have taken care of her on her bad days and stood by her through her drug addictions. She is very, very attractive but she is ugly on the inside. From seeing us together you would say she was out of my league. But if you knew what I had to deal with you would say I was too good for her. LOL, this post took a turn. Anyway, I don't even know.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:59 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
I`m glad to hear that you are away from her now. You can start working on your confidence and self respect, and take your life back!
Don`t give up! I wish you luck!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:35 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
As bizarre as it might sound, the church is the best place to pick women up. If you are religious, consider going to some organized events with a fishing device

Match.com is a ponzi scheme.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:58 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerMan View Post
I think I wasted $80. I've sent out 27 emails and 130 winks with only 1 response that was "hi" and haven't heard anything since. I try to write something geared towards each person. My marriage ended by being cheated on(with at least the 4th person) which was enough of a blow to the self esteem. My ex is a very selfish, self centered person who doesn't care who she hurts and what damage she causes. But now this is kicking me while I'm down. I knew not to do it, but stupidly I did. I am always received better in person. I am not even sure why I am posting this. I guess out of frustration. I need to vent or something. Maybe I need to adjust my standards, I haven't dated since I was 19. I am 34 now and I have wasted my life away with that woman. I am loyal to fault. She has MS and I have taken care of her on her bad days and stood by her through her drug addictions. She is very, very attractive but she is ugly on the inside. From seeing us together you would say she was out of my league. But if you knew what I had to deal with you would say I was too good for her. LOL, this post took a turn. Anyway, I don't even know.
I understand your frustration my friend. I'll say no more about that cause it hurts. I'll just say I want to take it as a lesson not to help others ever again but I hope I'm better then that.

As for the dating sites, Match is one of the more legit ones but still a scam. POF seems to be the best. All the dating sites have paid people on staff to write fake junk to men making them think a pretty girl who wants sex is after them. Well of course the man has to upgrade his free membership to a pay member just to get the phone number and email of this wonderful lady who wants sex. Then after another email or 2 the poor man finds whatever he says is answered with useless words obviously sent to everyone. Accept that women get 100 replies each day and men get 1 per month. That's just the way it is.

All I can say is don't give up nor judge a whole species on one bad apple. Sit back a bit, take a breath and start over. Just whatever you do, DO NOT get married again or you will be posting more horror for us here later.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:37 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Your response rate is abysmal because you are most likely shooting for women who are outside of your league. I think this happens all the time to divorced people who are just getting back into dating - you have no idea who your target audience should be. You don't know which women will find you to be a catch. For instance, you say your ex was very attractive. If you are approaching women who are as attractive as she was, perhaps you simply can't pull that type of woman anymore. Maybe you have men who are taller/better looking/richer etc competing with you for those gals, and you keep losing out. Frankly, the worm will turn for you within the next couple of years and you will start having better luck with with women provided you do two things: aim for women within your league, and get over the ex-wife. Your bitterness shines through. It is understandable, but very unattractive.

As for match, they don't just send phone emails to men. When I canceled my membership, my email suddenly became bombarded with messages from Mr Tall Dark Rich and Handsome... if only I'd pay up again I'd surely start dating these guys.

For free sites, I prefer Okcupid to POF. I like how I can read how people have answered all of the different questions, which at least gives you an insight to their personality. POF, I seem to get a lot of weirdos writing to me there.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:45 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Your bitterness shines through. It is understandable, but very unattractive.
I'm not qualified to discuss dating sites and strategy, but OP are you sure you are emotionally ready?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:59 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
I suspect that your profile on match needs a major overhaul. It may be sending a negative "vibe" that you don't perceive, or lack information that highlights your desirable qualities. Perhaps your photos are ambiguous or lack smiles. With a good profile, women will contact YOU - you just need to respond in a sincere and classy manner if you're interested. There are plenty of resources about writing a good profile - check the site, check competitor's profiles, and google it.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:09 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,778 times
In all honesty, I think Match.com is a scam too. They advertise how many relationships have been made as a result of match.com, but do not discuss the number of divorces that occur among their customers. Just a thought.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
In all honesty, I think Match.com is a scam too. They advertise how many relationships have been made as a result of match.com, but do not discuss the number of divorces that occur among their customers. Just a thought.
Why should they discuss divorce? People who marry after meeting on the site don't usually stay on the site, so how would the site know what they do subsequently? Everyone KNOWS that about half of all marriages fail, anyway. I doubt those stats vary much for people who've met online. Your argument does not hold water.

Of course, most of the sites exist to make money by providing a service. Some sites provide a better service than others, of course. The bigger you are, the more likely you'll have unhappy customers - but that may be the fault of the customer, not the site, in some cases.

I used a variety of dating sites when I was dating, and match provided the best overall success by far. I was very pleased with the site.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 AM

219 posts, read 541,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
All the dating sites have paid people on staff to write fake junk to men making them think a pretty girl who wants sex is after them.
I KNEW IT!!!!!!

To the OP - If you think about it, online dating is short for "business casual", where every woman (and guys) get to put on their HR hats for the day.

We the "applicants" have to put forth a personal resume - age, height, likes, dislikes, skin color, hair color, pictures, "what we would do on a first date", what we do for fun, business, vacations, where we live, color of our eyes, religion, damn even whether we want kids!!!, etc... All in black and white - no touch, feel, hear, (smell ), even the sixth sense of intuition are lacking.

Many will argue that this is how it is done because everyone wants to be sure who they are contacting and a good 'feel' whether that person will possibly be the one, but just like their business counterparts, the "HR applicant seekers" have to weed the thousands of profiles out each time they log on.

My point is, forget online sites for meeting people, just use it for fodder when you're out and about. We can all commiserate together for a laugh or two (except maybe the 'players', but they are pros at it )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.