Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:16 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times

Advertisements

Make this a positive thing. Set yourself up on Facebook with your family members. Go around and take photos of your new home, neighborhood, and friends. If you haven't made friends, work on that.

Post the photos to Facebook, and tell something nice about each one. Focus on the fun, the new experiences, and all the stuff you are learning. Be the "travel writer/photojournalist" for the folks back home.

Explore some place new, every day, and find something you like about it.

If you don't like the place you live in, get creative and make it nicer. You don't have to be buying a bunch of stuff. There are lots of people out here that find objects to turn into art.

Mostly, stop feeling sorry for yourself and look at what you have available, not at what you don't have. Life is short, too short for pity parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,479,455 times
Old topic, but ill chime in. Im 35, single and I wanted a major change n to get away from brutal winters. After years of visiting I finally moved from northern Indiana to San Luis Obispo California. It's only been 2 months but the homesickness is only getting worse. I'm meeting some nice people but the mentality is worlds apart. My mom and dad are both deceased but I have 2 brothers and a few good.friends back in Indiana and I miss them so much. Today was rough, my favorite day, Halloween. No falling leaves, 80 degrees. Just not like back home. I'm learning a lot about myself though. Learning that a small life in a small town in Indiana wasn't all that bad. And at least there was no overcrowding. So now I sit, and think maybe give it til the 1st of the year. If still homesick I'm heading back, my old snow scraper in still in my brothers garage,lol. Most would love all the beauty and sunshine this CA town offers, but I'm already missing the change of season.....and RAIN! God i miss rain. '-(

Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
My random thoughts are not to pick somewhere "in between" to live just because it's in the middle. That means both of you would be far from your families, and you could spending the majority of your vacation time visiting both families instead of actual vacations somewhere else. And as you're planning for your future, think about what it would mean to have children and live somewhere without either family available as a support system.

I have a friend who was sort of on the outs with both families so they picked up and moved as far as they could. But now they have a baby, and are realizing how much they've alienated themselves from their loved ones based solely on geography. I know they wouldn't want to move right home to the same town as both sets of families, but a two hour drive is more feasible than a 40 hour drive/5 hour plane ride.

Good luck figuring this out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships