Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,172,606 times

Advertisements

Advertising means......."Marketing yourself the best way you can"

So no one is going to reveal the truth when they are trying to get a date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,328,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Advertising means......."Marketing yourself the best way you can"

So no one is going to reveal the truth when they are trying to get a date

If someone is truly looking for a relationship, this is one of the dumbest things they can do. Who wants to date a liar?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,175,644 times
As a guy who just came out of a relationship where I was in love and wanted to be with that person for a very long time (even marriage), it's hard not to see the appeal of the partier type.

If you can be a workaholic, successful career, make good money, and go out and party and have fun at your will, then what's the need for a relationship and all the problems and heartache associated with it when you have a cell phone contacts list filled with FWB's?

All your needs are being met and if you're happy with your life then what's wrong with it? Why does this article try to convince us that we HAVE to settle down soon and that 30 means it's getting past the right time to do so?

I can see a guy wanting to find someone, but I can see the appeal of staying single and enjoying your life just as much. How many happily married people do YOU know compared to those who are NOT happily married?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 AM

859 posts, read 2,834,834 times
Be courteous and finish the date. Try to enjoy yourself. I've been on a couple of these dates. Some where awkward but we made the best of them. You don't want to hurt the other persons feeling if it can be avoided. Besides there's no harm in being internet friends afterward.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:08 PM

3,986 posts, read 2,589,597 times
Quote:
30 mins of polite conversation? Why waste your time if u will never talk to the person again???
Because it is the decent thing to do. No matter how different they are, it is a common curtsy to follow through with the plans you both agreed to. (Whether it is an online date situation or a blind date set up w/o the internet) It is how I would want to be treated.

As others have mentioned, you could set the date up to allow either of you to decline the date after you meet. If you both agree, this would be an honorable way of dealing with your concerns.

Quote:
Based on past experiences. If she turns out to be completely what I expected why would I want to been seen in public with someone like that? I can run into a family member, friend or coworker and be very embrassed
Wow, be embarrassed with someone you just met? I mean, that sounds really shallow. Someone you just met doesn't reflect on you at all. You could just introduce them by saying this is my blind date, so and so... What would be so bad about that?

The more open you are to people, the more open they are to you. Maybe a blind date wouldn't be your ideal but does a person have to be ideal to be a friend? And who knows? Maybe they have a friend or a cousin or a neighbor you just happen to meet through them down the road because you were open to a friendship.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,242,164 times
I'd throw my drink in their face, shout - You're not who I thought you'd be!, slap them, and storm out.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 AM

3,986 posts, read 2,589,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
I finished the date. He said, he worked out 4/5 times a week. It was a lie. He was sloppy and unattractive. After the date I ignored all communication.

I started to do the same as Onglet said, but I felt bad. My girlfriend said, she normally say, she's wearing one thing and wear the opposite. She said, if he misrepresented himself, then she'll leave him standing there.

I don't believe a date should be stood up. It's not fair or the kind thing to do.

I agree with your philosophy. Even though he lied, you were the better person -you stayed true to your principles.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:32 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,181,633 times
ABOVE ALL ELSE? Be respectful..

Consider that this person may have expectations also...Treat them with respect..they took time to meet you and give it a shot..you never know you may click as long time friends...

Old 06-04-2011, 01:42 AM

37,165 posts, read 42,356,135 times
The trouble with internet dating is sometimes people think they can place an order for something specific. That isn't how life works thought. Knowing people misrepresent themselves to appear more attractive is a given, so I'm surprised so many people are caught off guard by it. IRL you meet someone who isn't your dream date and may get to know them anyway because you work together or have friends in common...and from that relationship (whatever it is) you can my find other opportunities. It's a shame that online dating is often GO or NO GO with little in between.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:17 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,172,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Because it is the decent thing to do. No matter how different they are, it is a common curtsy to follow through with the plans you both agreed to. (Whether it is an online date situation or a blind date set up w/o the internet) It is how I would want to be treated.

As others have mentioned, you could set the date up to allow either of you to decline the date after you meet. If you both agree, this would be an honorable way of dealing with your concerns.

Wow, be embarrassed with someone you just met? I mean, that sounds really shallow. Someone you just met doesn't reflect on you at all. You could just introduce them by saying this is my blind date, so and so... What would be so bad about that?

The more open you are to people, the more open they are to you. Maybe a blind date wouldn't be your ideal but does a person have to be ideal to be a friend? And who knows? Maybe they have a friend or a cousin or a neighbor you just happen to meet through them down the road because you were open to a friendship.

My amily or friends dopn't know I go on blind dates so if they saw me with someone looking unusual then they would think that is the type of woman I date
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships