Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:19 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,693,943 times

Advertisements

If it's an online date, and the person totally misrepresented him/herself, there is no need to sit through the date to be polite. The lies mean that all bets are off.

If it is a fix-up put together by a friend or family member, I'd power through, and maybe make a new friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,804,976 times
I finished the date. He said, he worked out 4/5 times a week. It was a lie. He was sloppy and unattractive. After the date I ignored all communication.

I started to do the same as Onglet said, but I felt bad. My girlfriend said, she normally say, she's wearing one thing and wear the opposite. She said, if he misrepresented himself, then she'll leave him standing there.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,693,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
I finished the date. He said, he worked out 4/5 times a week. It was a lie. He was sloppy and unattractive. After the date I ignored all communication.

I started to do the same as Onglet said, but I felt bad. My girlfriend said, she normally say, she's wearing one thing and wear the opposite. She said, if he misrepresented himself, then she'll leave him standing there.
"I work out 4/5 times a week" may not be a lie, even if you are looking at someone who looks very out of shape. There are many people I have seen very regularly in the gym these past few years, who look quite flabby and unattractive, despite being there as regularly as me. They just don't know what they are doing, and don't even understand that they should ask for help.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 PM

366 posts, read 776,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
This could be like meeting someone over the internet and agreeing to meet in person on a blind date...What would you do if what you saw was not what you were expecting (or hoping for)?
I'd hope that I would threat that person with the dignity and respect.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,804,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
"I work out 4/5 times a week" may not be a lie, even if you are looking at someone who looks very out of shape. There are many people I have seen very regularly in the gym these past few years, who look quite flabby and unattractive, despite being there as regularly as me. They just don't know what they are doing, and don't even understand that they should ask for help.
NYC, sitting and reharshing what we talked about. I mentioned working out. He said, well I work out 3 times a week. His shirt was bloused to hide his gut. His clothes were nice, but he looked a mess in them.

I don't date "sloppy" Joe and he was an azz!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:53 AM

10,181 posts, read 20,815,372 times
I had two blind dates in my life. This was prior to the internet. One was a girl who anonymously sent me a rose with her name and phone number while I was working at a nightclub. Waitress passed it on to me but the girl had already left before she could point her out to me. I called her, we met and went on a movie date. She really wasn't my type and after the movie the conversation was somewhat strained. We cordially parted ways and I never saw her again.

The other one was odd. A couple of years after high school this girl calls me out of the blue and tells me she had this crush on me all through high school. She wouldn't tell me exactly who she was but described herself to me. I couldn't place the face. She described herself as resembling this hot blond that used to be in the milk commercials at the time. We talked some more and agreed to meet at a neutral location before going to get something to eat. While I'm standing outside the location, this short 300 pound blond approaches me and says hello. I recognized her as a former classmate but didn't put two and two together just yet. Then she told me who she was. I went through with the date, had a good conversation, but couldn't for the life of me understand why she would make such a bold lie in regard to her appearance. She finally fessed up that she didn't think I would meet her if she told me who she really was. We remained friends for awhile until we lost contact.

My brief experience with online dating had a few similar surprises. Mostly from women sending photos of themselves that were either posed from a flattering angle or didn't look like them at all. For ones without a pic, I quickly got familiar with terms and code words like BBW, curvy, a few extra pounds...they all meant obese. I don't know why people take such liberties when describing themselves, I guess they figure once they get their foot in the door they will charm the pants off you and you'll forget that you aren't attracted to them. I never walked off though, I didn't have it in me to do that. I would politely finish the date but there wouldn't be a second one.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,103,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I had two blind dates in my life. This was prior to the internet. One was a girl who anonymously sent me a rose with her name and phone number while I was working at a nightclub. Waitress passed it on to me but the girl had already left before she could point her out to me. I called her, we met and went on a movie date. She really wasn't my type and after the movie the conversation was somewhat strained. We cordially parted ways and I never saw her again.

The other one was odd. A couple of years after high school this girl calls me out of the blue and tells me she had this crush on me all through high school. She wouldn't tell me exactly who she was but described herself to me. I couldn't place the face. She described herself as resembling this hot blond that used to be in the milk commercials at the time. We talked some more and agreed to meet at a neutral location before going to get something to eat. While I'm standing outside the location, this short 300 pound blond approaches me and says hello. I recognized her as a former classmate but didn't put two and two together just yet. Then she told me who she was. I went through with the date, had a good conversation, but couldn't for the life of me understand why she would make such a bold lie in regard to her appearance. She finally fessed up that she didn't think I would meet her if she told me who she really was. We remained friends for awhile until we lost contact.

My brief experience with online dating had a few similar surprises. Mostly from women sending photos of themselves that were either posed from a flattering angle or didn't look like them at all. For ones without a pic, I quickly got familiar with terms and code words like BBW, curvy, a few extra pounds...they all meant obese. I don't know why people take such liberties when describing themselves, I guess they figure once they get their foot in the door they will charm the pants off you and you'll forget that you aren't attracted to them. I never walked off though, I didn't have it in me to do that. I would politely finish the date but there wouldn't be a second one.
I'd never survive the dating world!
I think of myself as curvy (or a few extra pounds) and that's how I'd describe myself...I'm not obese. I am 4lbs from my idea weight range though I'd love to lose another 15. I'm no skinnie minnie though. How would a girl describe herself in that case?

Don't you see pics of these girls online? Or are they profiles without any pictures?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 AM

10,181 posts, read 20,815,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'd never survive the dating world!
I think of myself as curvy (or a few extra pounds) and that's how I'd describe myself...I'm not obese. I am 4lbs from my idea weight range though I'd love to lose another 15. I'm no skinnie minnie though. How would a girl describe herself in that case?

Don't you see pics of these girls online? Or are they profiles without any pictures?
If you're posting a recent photo of yourself and decribe yourself as curvy or a few extra pounds, no harm no foul. Most of those are ones who didn't post a photo and took liberties when decribing themselves. Maybe they were looking at themselves in a carnival mirror or something, not sure.

FWIW, had they been just that, curvy or a few extra pounds, I had no problem with that, I wasn't in search of perfection. But there is a big difference from saying you can stand to lose 15 or 20 pounds when in reality it's more like 80 - 100. All comes down to truth in advertising.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,031,307 times
I had a blind date once..she said "Hey... this doesn't taste like a Popsicle"

Ya, she was blind

Kidding of course

Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,288,340 times
If there was an obvious misrepresentation (10 years, 30 pounds, marital status), I would still sit through the date.

And then I would blog about it (anonymously) and put his profile up on [URL="http://www.truedater.com/"]True Dater[/URL] (not so anonymously).

This I know, because I've done it. This is also why if I'm ever on the dating scene again, I will not use online dating. Too many liars, and the time is better spent with a good book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships