Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,234,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
I was thinking of getting gourmet cookies but I checked the store's nutritional value guide and they have cholesterol, saturated fat, chocolate and of course butter...so if she's health conscious and lactose intolerant, it won't be well received. I wonder if there's a way to find out if she can have milk products without giving away the surprise?
Lactose intolerant people are usually okay with baked goods. Of course cookies have choleterol, saturated fat, etc. - they're cookies! Even health nuts treat themselves every once in awhile! I've never known someone to be such a huge health nut that they didn't appreciate a cookie or a cupcake from time to time - and I know a lot of health nuts. I used to be completely obsessed - and I still would have been happy if someone had given me a cookie or a cupcake.

I think you are overthinking this. Anyone would be happy to get flowers, stationary, a gift card, cookies, cupcakes, etc. I don't think they will read into any of this - and even if it isn't their dream present - it's the thought that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 03:16 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,602,788 times
Quote:
I was thinking of getting gourmet cookies but I checked the store's nutritional value guide and they have cholesterol, saturated fat, chocolate and of course butter...so if she's health conscious and lactose intolerant, it won't be well received. I wonder if there's a way to find out if she can have milk products without giving away the surprise?
Buy some of the cookies, share with her, and if she really likes them there you have it. Why so hard?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:06 PM

924 posts, read 2,235,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Lactose intolerant people are usually okay with baked goods.
I think you are overthinking this. Anyone would be happy to get flowers, stationary, a gift card, cookies, cupcakes, etc. I don't think they will read into any of this - and even if it isn't their dream present - it's the thought that counts.
Umm, I'm lactose intolerant myself and cannot have anything with milk based products including milk chocolate chips and butter which are both ingredients of said cookies. The last thing I want is the girl to give them away to the catty bunch just because she can't eat them.

Yes there have been lots of good ideas but I want to choose something that makes the biggest impact without getting the hen house cackling about me having a crush on her and therefore embarrassing the gift recipient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Buy some of the cookies, share with her, and if she really likes them there you have it. Why so hard?
The gift is supposed to be a surprise that I plan to leave on her desk so unfortunately I can't use your tip, sorry.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,234,111 times
Quote:
Umm, I'm lactose intolerant myself and cannot have anything with milk based products including milk chocolate chips and butter which are both ingredients of said cookies.

Yes there have been lots of good ideas but I want to choose something that makes the biggest impact without getting the hen house cackling about me having a crush on her and therefore embarrassing the gift recipient.
Huh - my former boyfriend was lactose intolerant but could have things with butter in them if they were baked. . He also takes lactaid if he wants to have some dairy. He still can't drink milk or anything - but if he takes his lactaid, he can have cheese and other dairy products.

If you are that worried about people thinking you have a crush on her - I would stick with gift card. It's less personal - and yet, very practical.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,156,037 times
If she is a coffee drinker, avoid a gift card to a coffee place. We coffee fanatics HATE either Starburned or DD but love the other. A GC to either one is either going to be truly loved or regifted. So I'd avoid unless you know which she prefers. Then again, maybe she's a Seattle's Best kinda gal. Go for the flowers - small bouquet in a vase.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 AM

18,271 posts, read 14,476,212 times
Gifts Under $20 - Best Christmas Gifts Under 20 Dollar - Cosmopolitan

Old 06-02-2011, 07:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,857,575 times
Quote:
... I'd like to get her something unique, not a fruit bowl or anything that she can easily go to the grocery store and buy.

How a small bouquet of flowers?
Flowers aren't exactly unique and she can easily go to a store and buy them herself too. Anyway, they die after such a short time. And maybe she's as allergic to plants/flowers as she might be to lactose in cookies, and maybe she's a strict vegan who would find a leather-coated pen very offensive. You really don't know her at all and are making way too much of a fuss about all of this. Just sign the communal card, shake her hand, wish her all the best and have done with it.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 PM

Thanks to those who provided fun ideas. I have a little problem though. The problem is that with the uncertainty of what to get her as a gift, if anything at all, plus stalling trying to decide which store to go get a card, I'm running out of time to have people sign it since it's not bought yet. Monday is the girl's last day and I had planned to surprise her by leaving something on her desk before her arrival on Monday.
I don't know what to do now...should I get the card tonight and then have people sign it on her last day? If yes, someone may blow the surprise not to mention the fact she will be at her desk.
Any tips on how to surprise her when she's there? Maybe someone needs to ask her to take a walk for 15 mins and when she returns, she can find the gift.

The other thing that has me doubting this whole thing is because of what happened today in the office. I asked her to close an account (she's an account manager, I'm in CS), and she has administrative rights to doing this. She closed the wrong account and when I followed up, she was a bit snarky... so I don't know if I can bring myself to rewarding someone with a bad attitude. It's just like when you're training your puppy. You don't want to give it treats when it pees on your Persian rug do you? No, you give it treats when it behaves well and obeys your directive.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,156,037 times
So then don't do anything. Good grief, you'd think you were planning the next summit meeting!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM

Facing a tough decision now. I got the card and a gift certificate for a fun breakfast place. The problem is I spent $22 out of pocket so far and I'm not sure the girl is worth spending $22 on ($2 for the card and $20 for the gift certificate) so I don't know her that well and feel it's a waste to spend money on a girl I'll never see again.
I think I might keep the certificate and just have colleagues sign the card since I feel kind of awkward asking them to reimburse me for a gift they had no idea about previously.
The challenge is this though: tomorrow is the girl's last day and some people are off, so they won't be able to sign the card. I'm actually thinking of calling someone who's off to see if she wants to come in and sign but I don't know if that's silly or what.

Also, since the girl is leaving at the end of Monday, how will I sneak the card onto her desk without being spotted by others? I want it to be a surprise. Any ideas on how to get her away from her desk without having others spoil it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships