Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 11:13 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,595,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I remember it like it was yesterday. I was at work...and all of a sudden I got a breaking news email...and the internet was so bogged down we could hardly get to the news...and we all ran downstairs to the first floor cafe...it had a tv up on the wall...and we just stood there with our mouths hanging open...transfixed...in shock...we saw the second plane hit, and there was this collective gasp from everyone. I'll never forget that day.
I don't think anyone could forget the horror of it!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:17 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,018,315 times
I was out on the water, we didn't learn about it till late in the day when the company sent out an immarsat c telex to the boats. It was months before I saw the footage of it.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:27 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,242,201 times
Springsteen did a whole album about it and this was one of the best songs about it - gives me chills and a few tears.

Bruce Springsteen / My City Of Ruin (9-11 Tribute) NYC - YouTube

Old 08-31-2011, 07:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,153,358 times
Sorry, peeps, it's way too early for this remembering. We've lived with it for the last 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Hells bells, I just noticed I have a third star.
<snort>I need to celebrate with some champagne tonight.
Absolutely! Congrats!

I'll have a 'rita and think of you!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 AM

29,780 posts, read 34,541,361 times
The one thing that sticks with me about September 11 was that it was a beautiful fall day. Crisp, clear blue sky. When we got sent home I remember numbly walking outside and thinking how messed up things were on such a pretty day.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,790,878 times
My husband had left for work; I had the day off and was at home. It was a Tuesday. I can't remember if I was sleeping or puttering around, but he called and told me to turn on the television, because he heard on the radio that something had happened. I stared at the screen, thinking it must be a mistake or a sick joke, or that I was watching a movie and it wasn't really happening. I don't remember taking the girls to daycare, but I must have at some point. I didn't know what to do with myself. I finally went up the street to a church, which was locked, but while I was standing there, an older man (a trustee, I guess), came from around the corner and unlocked it for me. I went inside, sat down and cried. That's about all I remember.

My husband's brother and sister-in-law both work in finance in NYC. They lost something like 30 friends and colleagues that day. They were married earlier that year, in March, and my family stayed at the Marriott at the base of the towers for the wedding. I can't believe that was 10 years ago.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:30 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,720,585 times
Yeah fleetie, it was a pretty lovely day weather-wise. I do remember that. I was in 5th grade at the time, our homeroom teacher got a phone call and when she put it down she told us what had happened and put on NPR. Pretty soon everybody knew, they let our parents come pick us up early, that was it basically. I found it surreal. Apparently my mom was driving on the highway in Arlington, VA and noticed there was a lot of smoke somewhere, so she switched on the radio and found out. My dad was working in downtown DC at the time, he said that there were cops everywhere and possibly even military.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:31 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,656,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Sorry, peeps, it's way too early for this remembering. We've lived with it for the last 10 years.
I think we have a mandate to remember it - it's part of our social consciousness and history.

And I don't say that about many things. Maybe because I was born a New Yawka and will always be one, but there are history-shaping moments that we need to recall, lest we forget the lessons taught us ... no longer do the tribal elders sit with us around the campfire and tell tales of bravery, courage and strength, so this is our substitute.

Last edited by SifuPhil; 08-31-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,767,157 times
Well as you all know I am not American, but I remember the day so vividly.

The TV was on and I remember walking past it and seeing the total chaos. I sat down and started watching it all unfold and I was horrified. I watched those brave men going into the first tower and then of course the second one fell and they were all killed. I sat in front of the TV for hours crying.

Crying for the brave souls, the children, the innocent.

The US was a super power, how could this happen to them?

So even from across the world, in New Zealand, there were people thinking about you all, and feeling just a small amount of your pain, for the people and for the country.

And ten years later it still makes me cry.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,656,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
The US was a super power, how could this happen to them?
Do you really want to open up that can of worms?

A discussion like that, here, would probably get this thread moved to Politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships