Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 AM

219 posts, read 334,190 times

Advertisements

WOMEN: would you be ok with your man relocating for a job without you and then sending for you when he got things in order there? why or why not?

MEN: would you be ok with your woman relocating for a job without you and sending for you when she gets things in order there? why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
In tough economic times such as we've recently seen, people sometimes have to make hard choices to go where the job is whether they are male or female.

As long as it didn't take more than a few months to get the spouse at the new location with you, going on ahead is quite normal. I just wouldn't recommend being separated for months and months on end - not good for the relationship.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:01 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,391,849 times
It completely depends on how long a wait it is before they 'send for you." If it's a week or two, fine. If it's month, forget it. Long-distance marriages or relationships aren't "relationships" at all. People in love find ways to be together, period.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:10 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,812 times
I lost my marriage in part over the issue of relocations. True test of the motivations for being with each other. A lot of people say for better or for worse, but when it comes down to it, it's not that cut and dry. Lots of people end up resenting each other over moves.

See, this wasn't a problems in the days of single income households, but hey, we're in post-feminist America, we're all entitled to pursue our individual happiness in vocations. Ok then, but don't complain when these careers splinter the household across two coasts and now you're in paper relationship, making love to a cell phone, or worse, your neighbor while your spouse is away. Bottom line, someone will have to sell donuts in the new town, for the sake of the relationship. No free lunch in life. I'd never want to have to barter with a spouse over those resenting-causing relocation issues ever again. Put that stuff in the table on day one, and prenup that sucker, or walk away. Don't set yourself up for failure.

Someone has to be the admitted household driver in economic matters, where relocations will in all but small exceptional cases, be driven by that spouse's job. Otherwise what's the point. I can have an LDR with someone I'm not remotely legally bound to,there's no point to LDR marriages with such open ended rejoin timelines. A text doesn't keep me warm at night.

To be clear, the OPs scenario doesn't seem like a problem. If what we're talking about are the short term logistics of moving a household. What I'm addressing (apologies if Im hijacking the thread) is the implication that the spouse is UNwilling or UNhappy about said move, either because he/she doesn't want to move or has a vocation of his/her own that is not favored by the move. If the latter is the case, someone's gonna have to sell donuts or it's divorce city.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:16 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
It completely depends on how long a wait it is before they 'send for you." If it's a week or two, fine. If it's month, forget it. Long-distance marriages or relationships aren't "relationships" at all. People in love find ways to be together, period.

A week or two???

Suppose one spouse is staying behind to sell the house, or to let kids finish out the last 2 months of their school year? I think healthy marriages can withstand up to 3 months apart if they have to. Beyond that it does get tougher, but hey, you do what you have to do when you need to make a living.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:21 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I lost my marriage in part over the issue of relocations. True test of the motivations for being with each other. A lot of people say for better or for worse, but when it comes down to it, it's not that cut and dry. Lots of people end up resenting each other over moves.

See, this wasn't a problems in the days of single income households, but hey, we're in post-feminist America, we're all entitled to pursue our individual happiness in vocations. Ok then, but don't complain when these careers splinter the household across two coasts and now you're in paper relationship, making love to a cell phone, or worse, your neighbor while your spouse is away. Bottom line, someone will have to sell donuts in the new town, for the sake of the relationship. No free lunch in life. I'd never want to have to barter with a spouse over those resenting-causing relocation issues ever again. Put that stuff in the table on day one, and prenup that sucker, or walk away. Don't set yourself up for failure.

Someone has to be the admitted household driver in economic matters, where relocations will in all but small exceptional cases, be driven by that spouse's job. Otherwise what's the point. I can have an LDR with someone I'm not remotely legally bound to,there's no point to LDR marriages with such open ended rejoin timelines. A text doesn't keep me warm at night.

To be clear, the OPs scenario doesn't seem like a problem. If what we're talking about are the short term logistics of moving a household. What I'm addressing (apologies if Im hijacking the thread) is the implication that the spouse is UNwilling or UNhappy about said move, either because he/she doesn't want to move or has a vocation of his/her own that is not favored by the move. If the latter is the case, someone's gonna have to sell donuts or it's divorce city.
............and I'm a runaway freight train speeding right into this very scenario.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids08_10 View Post
WOMEN: would you be ok with your man relocating for a job without you and then sending for you when he got things in order there? why or why not?

MEN: would you be ok with your woman relocating for a job without you and sending for you when she gets things in order there? why or why not?
If the cause is for logistical reasons I don't see a problem, but if done soley for career reasons there could be some friction.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
I know quite a few people who have done this simply because it was an economic necessity. I worked for a big company with a large work force in 14 states and people were sometimes faced with relocating, usually to Denver, or being let go with a severance package. In fact it happened to me but I was single. A guy I worked with also had to move from Seattle to Denver like I did and it took an entire year for his wife to get transferred down there. This is fairly common in certain industries and I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever whether it's the man or the woman who has to move first.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:26 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
That isn't true at all. Sometimes circumstances force distance. When we were emigrating my husband came to the US while I was in Australia. We spent 2 months apart sorting out Visa stuff.

We had done this previously as well when he was coming out to Australia, again it was 2 months apart.

We didn't run off with the neighbour simply because we had to spent some time away from one another.

Grown ups think in the long term.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:33 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
............and I'm a runaway freight train speeding right into this very scenario.
Are you the party that's driving the relocation or the party that feels forced to follow the person seeking relocation?

Either way, my sympathies. I'm out of that business, personally. I fly solo from now on, unless someone is committed enough to accept a subordinate household role and doesn't want my money as collateral. I know, I'm smoking crack if I think that's likely. Oh well.

Good luck to you, you're gonna need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships