Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:00 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times

Advertisements

This could be like meeting someone over the internet and agreeing to meet in person on a blind date...What would you do if what you saw was not what you were expecting (or hoping for)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Finish the date, and remain "just friends."

Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
To avoid awkwardness and hurt feelings, don't agree to anything more than going to a coffeehouse on your first date. Twenty or thirty minutes of polite conversation, coffee's finished and you're out.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:07 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
I would treat them the way they deserve, which is with courtesy and respect. Then, when the date was ending, I would make sure they understood that I enjoyed getting to know them but that we would have to just be friends.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM

175 posts, read 914,207 times
Try to enjoy the date. Use it as experience and maybe you'll learn something from the other person or, at minimum, have a couple laughs. Of course, if I were to get weird/creepy vibes from the guy, that's another story and I'd be out of there pretty fast!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:10 PM

328 posts, read 603,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Finish the date, and remain "just friends."
This. At least show a little respect; no need to crush someone's feelings right off the bat.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:16 PM

31,033 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
To avoid awkwardness and hurt feelings, don't agree to anything more than going to a coffeehouse on your first date. Twenty or thirty minutes of polite conversation, coffee's finished and you're out.
Good advice. If things are going well you can always make it longer. If they are "Really" going well, make sure there is a Hotel close by

Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,773 times
I'm an expert at not handling this type of situation gracefully. This happened to me many many times. One was a blind date set up by my highschool best friend. I was a senior in highschool, and she couldn't talk me into going. So she talked to my MOM one day when I was at work to try to get her to talk me into it. She told my mom "He's a drummer and he's really cute" thinking that would be a selling point, since at the time I had a crush on a drummer in my class. I came home from work and imagine how mortifying it was to have my mother trying to sell me on a blind date.

My friend had a warped sense of humor. She knew the guy was not my type. He was her date's best friend, and wanted to double date. When we walked out to the car, I saw the guy behind the wheel, and said "Please say that's not him..."

It was him. He wasn't a drummer. And he WASN'T CUTE.

I got in the back seat and pulled my friend in right next to me while the two guys sat up front. My friend and I were wedged between two console speakers, like you'd find in someone's living room, and the guy drove like a maniac. Every time he'd make a turn, we'd have to push the speakers off us.

We went to see Friday the 13th part (?), and I got in the aisle first, grabbed my friend, then her date followed, so my date and I were on opposite sides of the group. He was trying to impress me with stories of his tarantula and all the Playboy posters he had on his wall (message: "Dude! I have my own place! I'm COOL!!!").

On the ride home, my friend and I took the back seat again, and my date drove back to my house, going about 40 miles over the speed limit. Once home, I got out as quickly as possible, declined the offer of my date to walk me to the door, and thought that would be the end.

Until he called. My @#%$!! "friend" thought it would be hilarious to give the guy my number! And he'd come visit me at work and at home...

It was bad. BAD I tells ya!!!! Luckily, I left for college, and never saw him again. Another blind date she sent me on ended up in prison years later for shooting his father to death in a grocery store.

I still tell my friend I owe her a REALLY bad date.

More recently, I went out on a "meet" with a guy I'd been talking to online. I don't know why I went... we had nothing in common, but he was so persistent, and he seemed nice, so I figured maybe I should give it a shot.

I could NOT get out of there fast enough. No chemistry, he was 10 years older then he said he was, and the guy was staring at me the entire time with this weird smile. He was super religious and talked about wanting me to meet his church group, and I was so uncomfortable I couldn't eat lunch. After we left the restaurant, we wandered around the area, sat on a bench making awkward conversation. For example, there was a Pottery Barn right near us, and a woman came out holding a pillow. I asked my "date" "Do you think she made a trip out here just to buy a pillow?". Aagh. We then went into Pottery Barn, and walked around silently. He followed me while I studied every candle, seashell, and picture frame I could get my hands on. I was boring as hell. I was trying to be. When I got home, I had a message waiting for me, saying we needed to "set aside some time to talk about the day". I wrote back, as nicely as I could, that I did not think that was a conversation we needed to have.

This was last summer. He still wants a second date.

Last edited by Neemy; 05-31-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 04:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Uh, well, if I've agreed to meet with them, I've talked with them a lot and already find their conversation stimulating...so we can have a nice evening or whatever chit-chatting or enjoying an activity we already know we both enjoy.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:23 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,780 times
Say "I'm going to go" and leave...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships