Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will it work ?
Yes 17 23.94%
No 54 76.06%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,941,600 times

Advertisements

This spring I have been extremely frustrated about my lack of a girlfriend and lack of a social life. I have written two other threads about that.

Now I am reporting that I am going to once again try something that worked in the past for a little while. I'm going to give it another try. I think I'm ready. I started this afternoon.

Every time I see an attractive woman, anywhere (including on TV), I look away (as long as its safe to, like I'm not driving towards her or something) and say "I do not desire women". After a while of "white knuckling" it and really struggling with this, I anticipate that it is eventually going to become second nature to just look at things that are much more interesting to me than women: trees, buildings, clouds, grass.

I tried this for a while a number of years ago. I think it was working, but then I got this dumb idea of asking a school librarian out on a lunch date. She said yes, but then after that one lunch date she never said yes to anything again. Eventually, I stopped trying, and said goodbye to her, and never saw her again. But anyways, that put an end to my "I don't desire women" strategy.

A couple years back, I tried it again, and it only worked for a couple weeks. Eventually, I was looking at women again. What really made it difficult is they had the TV on at work, and I was constantly tempted to look at the news anchors or women in advertisements. Also people at work were talking about "hot women" on the TV or in real life from time to time. All of that broke down my resolve.

But this spring, I've been so frustrated that I really think I'm ready. I really think it's going to work. I have resigned that I'm never going to have a girlfriend, because I'm too lazy to get better clothes and do a better job shaving my face, and I'm too scared to start talking to women. So, I'm ready to really put the "I do not desire women" strategy to the test. I think I can do it.

For a half day, I have been saying "I do not desire women" every time I wanted to look at a woman. I feel better today than I've felt in a long time. It feels good to just look at clouds, trees, grass, and buildings without worrying about any hot looking women that are in the way of the view. These women are nothing to me any more.

I know it's going to work this time, because I'm going to make it work. There aren't any librarians or anyone else I'm going to ask out. I've got the will power to carry this out, to become truly independent of women for the first time in my life. It's going to feel good !

I can do anything I set my mind to, and I've set my mind to this. I do not desire women !

Will it work ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,650,658 times
Nope. Can't really eliminate the desire. I know. I've already tried but with men. I think what you need to do is find a hobby, travel, or take a class to develop a skill that you've always wanted to be able to do.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,679,793 times
And you would want to do this......because??????

Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
And you would want to do this......because??????
Because I'm frustrated about not having a girlfriend, and I want to be able to go through life without having to worry about whether or not I'm attractive to women.

If I can overcome my desire, and stop looking, then I won't be frustrated any more.

I know it will work. That is why I voted "yes" in my poll.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Nope. Can't really eliminate the desire. I know. I've already tried but with men. I think what you need to do is find a hobby, travel, or take a class to develop a skill that you've always wanted to be able to do.
Yeah, but I think it's a trick I can play on myself. If I tell myself enough times that I don't desire them, then I can start to believe that I don't. And belief, in time, can hopefully shape reality. Perhaps I cannot eliminate the desire, but I believe I can reach the point where I just don't care about it any more. And then, it's as good as gone.

Distractions such as hobbies and travel are great ideas for helping to make this work. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,679,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Because I'm frustrated about not having a girlfriend, and I want to be able to go through life without having to worry about whether or not I'm attractive to women.

If I can overcome my desire, and stop looking, then I won't be frustrated any more.

I know it will work. That is why I voted "yes" in my poll.
So...do you wanna desire men, instead? Hey...i had to ask!
If not, then what are you going to do with your extra time?

You could chop wood! Seriously, thats an amazing outlet!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:17 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,626 times
If you are really interested in avoiding being in a relationship or desiring one, then focus on your career, interests, hobbies, entertainment, etc...give mental competition to the feeling of discontent for not being in a relationship and you will eventually spend most of your time doing the things you wish to do instead of moping about how you ought to be in a relationship yet are not in one.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:17 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,997,720 times
Like some other poster has said. You can't eliminate the desire. There will always be a woman that captures you. But the most captivating and worse thing is knowing you will never be together.

Of course, if you like trash you can have your pick. There are so many plastics out there and as it has always been the case. So yeah, the women you want are the women you will never have......

Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,324,738 times
It won't work because you're actually repressing your feelings.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,125,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
This spring I have been extremely frustrated about my lack of a girlfriend and lack of a social life. I have written two other threads about that.

Now I am reporting that I am going to once again try something that worked in the past for a little while. I'm going to give it another try. I think I'm ready. I started this afternoon.

Every time I see an attractive woman, anywhere (including on TV), I look away (as long as its safe to, like I'm not driving towards her or something) and say "I do not desire women". After a while of "white knuckling" it and really struggling with this, I anticipate that it is eventually going to become second nature to just look at things that are much more interesting to me than women: trees, buildings, clouds, grass.

I tried this for a while a number of years ago. I think it was working, but then I got this dumb idea of asking a school librarian out on a lunch date. She said yes, but then after that one lunch date she never said yes to anything again. Eventually, I stopped trying, and said goodbye to her, and never saw her again. But anyways, that put an end to my "I don't desire women" strategy.

A couple years back, I tried it again, and it only worked for a couple weeks. Eventually, I was looking at women again. What really made it difficult is they had the TV on at work, and I was constantly tempted to look at the news anchors or women in advertisements. Also people at work were talking about "hot women" on the TV or in real life from time to time. All of that broke down my resolve.

But this spring, I've been so frustrated that I really think I'm ready. I really think it's going to work. I have resigned that I'm never going to have a girlfriend, because I'm too lazy to get better clothes and do a better job shaving my face, and I'm too scared to start talking to women. So, I'm ready to really put the "I do not desire women" strategy to the test. I think I can do it.

For a half day, I have been saying "I do not desire women" every time I wanted to look at a woman. I feel better today than I've felt in a long time. It feels good to just look at clouds, trees, grass, and buildings without worrying about any hot looking women that are in the way of the view. These women are nothing to me any more.

I know it's going to work this time, because I'm going to make it work. There aren't any librarians or anyone else I'm going to ask out. I've got the will power to carry this out, to become truly independent of women for the first time in my life. It's going to feel good !

I can do anything I set my mind to, and I've set my mind to this. I do not desire women !

Will it work ?
I do find it interesting that you state you're too lazy to take care of yourself and present yourself in a way that may assist you in meeting a woman that you want.... but are resolved enough to undertake this.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships