Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,234,490 times

Advertisements

My hairstylist is great. Does a great job on my hair....but she keeps suggesting we get together for dinner or drinks.
She wants our husbands to meet.
She's tried to set up our kids on dates.
I've just smiled and ignored her suggestions for the most part, but I feel ackward as I have no interest in a more personal friendship with her.
I just want her to cut my hair!
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,394,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
My hairstylist is great. Does a great job on my hair....but she keeps suggesting we get together for dinner or drinks.
I've just smiled and ignored her suggestions for the most part, but I feel ackward as I have no interest in a more personal friendship with her.
Any suggestions?
Is she new in town? Perhaps she is just looking for friends and if your kids are the same age, she thinks it would be great if you all got together. Do you dislike her as a person or do you just have enough friends already? If you are uncomfortable with getting together with her, then of course, it's your prerogative, but I wouldn't turn my back so quickly. You may really enjoy her company outside of salon and as a bonus, you may even start getting your haircuts for free.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,298,735 times
She's probably just a very friendly hairstylist, and she obviously likes you. If you have no interest n getting to know her as a friend.....you can always just go to another hairdresser.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,395,904 times
She sounds way too pushy for my comfort level. I would simply say, "I'm not really social and don't hang out a lot. I love how you cut my hair though, but I'm a pretty private person."

She should get the message.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times
For God's sake, don't offend her. You might get a haircut you don't like.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:16 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,634,254 times
I may be totally offbase but I'm wondering if you have a somewhat negative attitude regarding her profession and consider yourself to be in a higher social status. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong, it's just that I happen to enjoy getting to know people a little better if I see them on a regular basis and feel comfortable with them and I wouldn't consider wanting to be friends as crossing "professional boundaries" as you put it. That would certainly exclude a great many people who all of us come into contact with in our everyday lives just because they are providing some sort of service for us.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I may be totally offbase but I'm wondering if you have a somewhat negative attitude regarding her profession and consider yourself to be in a higher social status. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong, it's just that I happen to enjoy getting to know people a little better if I see them on a regular basis and feel comfortable with them and I wouldn't consider wanting to be friends as crossing "professional boundaries" as you put it. That would certainly exclude a great many people who all of us come into contact with in our everyday lives just because they are providing some sort of service for us.
Well, I'll add something to that. The woman who cuts my hair does a really good job. But, like most people in that biz, she is also the town gossip. She will spill the dirt on anybody and everybody in a skinny minute. I mean, there is no intervening gear between what forms in her brain and what comes out her mouth. So I confine my conversation with her to seriously innocuous things such as the weather. I'd rather not have her spread the details of my life around.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,777 times
I would just chance hairstylists if it makes you that uncomfortable. There are hundreds of other ones that can also do a great job on my hair.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM

936 posts, read 2,062,779 times
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I'll add something to that. The woman who cuts my hair does a really good job. But, like most people in that biz, she is also the town gossip. She will spill the dirt on anybody and everybody in a skinny minute. I mean, there is no intervening gear between what forms in her brain and what comes out her mouth. So I confine my conversation with her to seriously innocuous things such as the weather. I'd rather not have her spread the details of my life around.
As I see it, you have at least three options.

1.) Keep the distance you have maintained so far. Be friendly and cordial, but go no farther.

2.) Since she's the town gossip, have some fun with her. For every rumor she tells you, tell her a more outrageous, obviuosly false one. If she says someone is sleeping around, tell her you saw them being abducted by aliens.

3.) Find a new stylist.

Personally, I'd choose #2. But then I'm the Devil Incarnate. YMMV.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:02 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,684,549 times
Quote:
Any suggestions?
I don`t think that every hairstylist out there is a "town gossip."

My suggestion to you is if she makes you feel uncomfortable, find a new hairstylist. End of problem~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships