Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,746,385 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any constructive criticism and suggestions on what I can do to improve my profile (text as well as pics)?

papafox outdoors, camping, football, Patriots, Redsox

Please be blunt and don't be afraid to criticize anything that shouldn't be there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:43 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,817,680 times
Quote:
My personal mission statement would be "Work Smart - Play Hard". So when it’s time to get away, you’ll only find me in the most exciting of places... From siting on a secluded white sandy beach in the warm and sunny Bahamas, to snowmobiling in the remote Northern wilderness, or even a long quiet weekend down in Block Island, any time away from "the usual" is always worthwhile.
Quote:
One thing that drives me absolutely crazy about meeting women on here is some want to "fall in love" SO badly, they really don’t care about the person - it’s more about "the falling in love".

I just want to find an attractive woman who’s super cool, genuine and fun to be with. Where things go in 3 months or 3 years - I don’t know. Life can't be planned, it must unfold spontaneously, so BE OPEN.
OK, old lady here, so my perspective may not be much help. It's a good profile, overall, but maybe you could use a few tweaks. First of all--I'd switch out the second pic for the first--it's a really good one that gives me a good general idea of what you look like and I can see your eyes better in that--important to me to see his eyes.

About the travel--if I were reading your profile with an eye to dating you, I'd want it to be a little more specific, since travel is important to me. How often to you go? Are you a beach guy or a mountain guy and are these active and adventure type vacays? What kind then? The reason I say that is b/c so many men's profiles say something similar and then you find out that the last time he went anywhere was to sit on the beach in Florida with his ex over 5 years ago. Your pix help with that though.

I like the part about "some women just want to fall in love. . ." but maybe follow it up with, "I want a woman to fall in love with me," or "I'm looking for the woman who fits me best," etc. I worded that badly but you know what I mean. Also, does a good match for you like to sit up half the night talking and laughing? Or is she more likely to turn in early but be up at 5 am on her bike and ready to go for an adventure? Include it.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Anyone have any constructive criticism and suggestions on what I can do to improve my profile (text as well as pics)?

papafox outdoors, camping, football, Patriots, Redsox

Please be blunt and don't be afraid to criticize anything that shouldn't be there!
To be honest, after seeing the mess behind you and the dog (well, that's just me on the 2nd one), I wouldn't even take a look at you on the picture, much less read the profile.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,862,274 times
Photoshop works for most.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,817,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
To be honest, after seeing the mess behind you and the dog (well, that's just me on the 2nd one), I wouldn't even take a look at you on the picture, much less read the profile.
Oh I didn't notice, but you did, so yeah, clean up the background mess--I do think you need a dog pic though, b/c if she can't handle you with your dog, best to know that up front--just make sure it's your dog, lol.

Also, take out the dorky pic with the orange shirt--it's the least flattering. The one in the white shirt is most flattering. I assume, since we don't know you, but if I was your age and liked all the same things you do, I'd write to you with that pic.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,585,848 times
"One thing that drives me absolutely crazy about meeting women on here is some want to "fall in love" SO badly, they really don’t care about the person - it’s more about "the falling in love".

I just want to find an attractive woman who’s super cool, genuine and fun to be with. Where things go in 3 months or 3 years - I don’t know. Life can't be planned, it must unfold spontaneously, so BE OPEN."

This comes across as rude, judgmental and lecture-y. Not the message you want to be conveying when trying to convince someone to date you. If you feel this is an important message to send, you need to find a positive way to frame it, not a negative one. Additionally, I think any woman who wants something serious would take the second paragraph as a warning shot across the bow. You sound directionless. You sound like you have no goals. It sounds like if she expressed that having kids and marrying eventually was one of her goals, you would respond with, "Yeah, babe, just like be cool, you know?" and take another puff on your cigarette.

Saying anything in caps is translated in netspeak as yelling. So when you capitalize "SO" it makes it come across like a whiny teen. When you capitalize "BE OPEN" it sounds like a nasty jerk scolding all your exes (not what any woman wants.)

Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,746,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
OK, old lady here, so my perspective may not be much help. It's a good profile, overall, but maybe you could use a few tweaks. First of all--I'd switch out the second pic for the first--it's a really good one that gives me a good general idea of what you look like and I can see your eyes better in that--important to me to see his eyes.

About the travel--if I were reading your profile with an eye to dating you, I'd want it to be a little more specific, since travel is important to me. How often to you go? Are you a beach guy or a mountain guy and are these active and adventure type vacays? What kind then? The reason I say that is b/c so many men's profiles say something similar and then you find out that the last time he went anywhere was to sit on the beach in Florida with his ex over 5 years ago. Your pix help with that though.

I like the part about "some women just want to fall in love. . ." but maybe follow it up with, "I want a woman to fall in love with me," or "I'm looking for the woman who fits me best," etc. I worded that badly but you know what I mean. Also, does a good match for you like to sit up half the night talking and laughing? Or is she more likely to turn in early but be up at 5 am on her bike and ready to go for an adventure? Include it.
Points noted and taken.

To answer your questions, I travel frequently, at least once a year to farther places like the Bahamas and probably 3 or 4 times a year to Maine (I live in CT) where I snowmobile in the winter and hike and kayak in the summer. So yes, I'd definitely consider all of them active and adventure type vacations. I'm love the beach and Mtns equally--love the variety of scenery each offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ohhhh good one!! Funny thing is that I cropped it some because I cringed when I saw how messy it was in that picture. I wanted to crop it, but couldn't remove the clutter without cutting off my face, so I had to replace it with the attached picture below.

And this is actually my neighbors American Bulldog, not mine. I do love pets though of course!

Thanks again for the suggestions! Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
How can I improve my online profile?-img_5980_2.jpg  

Last edited by papafox; 06-25-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 06-25-2011, 11:02 AM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
I like the first part, where you described yourself... but when you got into describing the woman, I was put off...

I think it's the use of "you" Are you more than a pretty face? Are you sexy?

That's all subjective, so why ask?

"Are you more than just a pretty face? If we’re talking QUALITY here, I'm looking for things IN ADDITION TO beauty... things like: integrity, honesty, trust, loyalty, respect, consideration, sense of humor, open communication and good energy."

I would rather:

Of course, attraction is important to both of us, but for me, it's just as important that a person has integrity, honesty, trust, loyalty, respect, consideration, sense of humor, open communication and a positive outlook.

Or sumthin' like that.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,087,524 times
The picture screams ...need a maid. There's stuff on the floor under the table!

It's always good to show yourself having fun, like maybe this...

or out doing things you enjoy...

if you're going to use the dog as a wingdog, it helps to show pictures of dog having fun..like playing catch..

or having a conversation with you...

The strained leaning in, please don't bite me before we get the photo taken one is not good.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:18 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,213,387 times
Just a suggestion but instead of "I care about 2 things:
Are you sexy?
Are you fun to be around?"

Why not the following sentences?

Quote:
There are two qualities that are very important to me. I would like to find a sexy [attractive] woman who is fun to be around.
Not much difference, except the original uses of the word you makes it seem demanding and judgmental.

Quote:

Ouch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships