Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:08 PM

510 posts, read 1,446,759 times

Advertisements

I'm totally at a loss as to what to do here and just want some input.

A month ago I met a guy on a dating website. We hit it off via email and text and decided to meet the week after we started talking. I can't even explain the instant connection we had. We've been on 8 dates in the three and a half weeks that we've known each other. I don't know how I can explain it, but I really think he could be the one. Like we joke about it saying that our souls used to know each other in a past life. I'm 25. I've been in plenty of mature (and some immature) relationships. None of them even begin to compare.

Last weekend we were out having dinner and he told me he had some bad news he had to tell me. His job is sending him to Miami for 5 months ( I live in NYC). He leaves at the end of June. We had a pretty long conversation about it and essentially decided that what we were feeling was real, but that it wasn't practical to date for like 6 weeks and then be apart and try to maintain a relationship for 5 months long distance. We decided we're gonna spend as much time together as we can before he goes, and skype/text/call/possibly try to plan a visit in there at some point, and then see if we still want to try to date when he gets back.

I'm a mess. What are your thoughts on this? He essentially expressed to me that he had been planning on asking me to be his girlfriend officially that weekend but that he found out about the job right before. He is super set on trying to make this work in the long run- he made the point that in the grand scheme of things 5 months isn't a long time at all. I mean I get that 5 months will fly and if this is the real deal we'll see each other again at the end and the feelings will come right back. But still, I had half a mind to excuse myself and run- I tend to withdraw emotionally a little when the fear of getting hurt is real. And this could be leading up to a huge disaster..or something great.

Help. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,416,702 times
Let things flow and see where it goes. NO sense in worrying about the "what if's" when life and love are never a guarantee anyway. Don't overthink and panic yourself out of a good relationship over 5 months of being apart.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,175,014 times
I started my relationship long distance and we have been going over 2 years strong. Plan to be done (it's work related as well) within the next year or two. I believe he is my soulmate and our bond is just like that you described.

I say go for it and see how it goes. You'd be surprised, especially if this is a temporary thing.

5 Months isn't long. Just try it, you might enjoy it. There are definitely perks to distance and it strengthens your bond in a way being close doesn't. Yes, it may not work, but try it out. If you keep busy enough, it'll fly by quick.

My only advice is to talk, every single day if you can. Skype is wonderful so you can still see each other. You can even "watch movies" together, play some games on pogo.com together, etc etc. There are still ways for you to foster a new relationship when apart.

Why give up something so wonderful for 5 measly months? The worst that happens is it doesn't work out.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,416,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
I started my relationship long distance and we have been going over 2 years strong. Plan to be done (it's work related as well) within the next year or two. I believe he is my soulmate and our bond is just like that you described.

I say go for it and see how it goes. You'd be surprised, especially if this is a temporary thing.

5 Months isn't long. Just try it, you might enjoy it. There are definitely perks to distance and it strengthens your bond in a way being close doesn't. Yes, it may not work, but try it out. If you keep busy enough, it'll fly by quick.

My only advice is to talk, every single day if you can. Skype is wonderful so you can still see each other. You can even "watch movies" together, play some games on pogo.com together, etc etc. There are still ways for you to foster a new relationship when apart.

Why give up something so wonderful for 5 measly months? The worst that happens is it doesn't work out.

I thought I was the only one who knew about this game site, I got my Mother and brother on it as well.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 PM

706 posts, read 1,208,324 times
It sounds like you already are hooked with the I'm a mess comment. If its meant to be you'll make it through the 5 months.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I thought I was the only one who knew about this game site, I got my Mother and brother on it as well.
Seriously, my boyfriend and I can play monopoly for FOREVER on some Friday nights. It's a blast!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,410,418 times
takes two mature individual to make an LDR work, but it can definitely be done. Of course there some draw backs; you both simply aren't physically together, and things can get complicated- trust issues may arise, miscommunication about things, etc. But if the bond between you two is strong, then you both should be fine. communication is the key in a relationship. gl

Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 PM

11,412 posts, read 9,337,779 times
I guess I would have to know a bit more about his job. Does his away from NYC assignments happen often? Is he in the position to say no so he can stay local?

If not you will have to decide if you want that kind of lifestyle. It doesn't sound to me that this is a one time thing, or is it?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,108,567 times
My thoughts?

He's married and his wife got suspicious, so he needs to tone things down for half a year or so, at which time he'll do this to the next girl.

I have absolutely nothing concrete to back this up with, just my immediate thoughts upon reading your description of how things proceeded.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
My thoughts?

He's married and his wife got suspicious, so he needs to tone things down for half a year or so, at which time he'll do this to the next girl.

I have absolutely nothing concrete to back this up with, just my immediate thoughts upon reading your description of how things proceeded.
I can see why you think that, but I have lived in 3 states the past 2 years for my work. It is not permanent, but many positions in my company require frequent travel. I don't know the details of his job, but if he is in a position where he is helping to open or close a location (I am again giving an example that may be very untrue), it could very well take 6 months. My last location we hired on a project manager for 8 months and paid for his housing because he was an expert in what our need was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships