Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:42 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,793 times

Advertisements

One of the things that I would love to do is adopting a child some day. Not sure about having biological kids (leaning towards not).

Should I mention this in my dating profile or is it better to save it for a face-to-face conversation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 12:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
Face-to-face conversation for sure, but many dates into it. I don't think this is worth mentioning within at least the first 5 dates.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:53 AM

Wouldn't that be a waste of my and his time is we happened not to agree on such an important subject?

Old 01-08-2016, 04:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
IMO, stances on kids needs to be on the table sooner v. later.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:52 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
One of the things that I would love to do is adopting a child some day. Not sure about having biological kids (leaning towards not).

Should I mention this in my dating profile or is it better to save it for a face-to-face conversation?
After you meet someone and get serious you might change your mind about adoption depending on who you meet and the lifestyle you end up with. I don't think I would put it in a profile but I would mention the future possibility of adoption early on.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:23 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Wouldn't that be a waste of my and his time is we happened not to agree on such an important subject?
If it's important enough to you that you want to mention it in your profile, I don't really see the harm in mentioning it.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
Quote:
Your desire to adopt is "some day", which could be far into the future. Focus on the here and now of building the relationships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If it's important enough to you that you want to mention it in your profile, I don't really see the harm in mentioning it.
It might scare a fair number of men off. Talking about babies too soon is something that many men do not feel comfortable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
IMO, stances on kids needs to be on the table sooner v. later.
Not at all. Depending upon your biological sex and stance, this can actually cost you the opportunity to build something. For men that are indifferent about having kids or outright opposed to it, the best policy is to keep quiet about it for as long as possible. Indifferent men can probably get away with saying something along the lines like "It's not a short term priority item, my short term priority is building a great relationship first."

In general, men really don't need to say anything. Sometimes it won't even come up if the woman doesn't press the issue.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:21 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Face to face

Old 01-08-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post

It might scare a fair number of men off. Talking about babies too soon is something that many men do not feel comfortable with.

I hear what you're saying but I feel that those men who are "afraid" of talking long-term (theoretically, of course) is the kind of men that I don't want to attract anyway. And those who are mature enough and ready to build a relationship with the right person are actually very upfront about it.

Am I wrong in my perception?

Old 01-08-2016, 07:28 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Not at all. Depending upon your biological sex and stance, this can actually cost you the opportunity to build something. For men that are indifferent about having kids or outright opposed to it, the best policy is to keep quiet about it for as long as possible. Indifferent men can probably get away with saying something along the lines like "It's not a short term priority item, my short term priority is building a great relationship first."

In general, men really don't need to say anything. Sometimes it won't even come up if the woman doesn't press the issue.
So basically you're saying that men who don't want kids should be deceptive about it so that they don't risk missing out on having sex with the woman even if they know they won't be compatible long term because of the kids issue. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships