Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 02:36 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times

Advertisements

8.00/hr, if she makes 7.99 or less/hr, then I know she is not the right person for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 05:57 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
8.00/hr, if she makes 7.99 or less/hr, then I know she is not the right person for me.
Is that Take Home or pre-tax? Before tips and bonuses? (LOL)

Old 07-03-2011, 07:26 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Just have a job. I don't give a flying ducky about income.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 PM

235 posts, read 837,461 times
I met a nice guy, who made substantially less than I do, and it went nowhere because the income difference bothered him. Then I met a nice guy, who made more than I make, and I hit another dead end -- he's close to retirement, never been married, nor had kids, and acted paranoid that I must be a gold-digger.

FWIW... I have a good middle class job. I have no dependents. I live a low-key life, I don't keep up with the Joneses. What the what? Maybe there's a specific gap, like a 'safety zone' that's the key to this income compatibility dilemma?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:37 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Its not how much you make, its how much you keep!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:39 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
I met a nice guy, who made substantially less than I do, and it went nowhere because the income difference bothered him. Then I met a nice guy, who made more than I make, and I hit another dead end -- he's close to retirement, never been married, nor had kids, and acted paranoid that I must be a gold-digger.

FWIW... I have a good middle class job. I have no dependents. I live a low-key life, I don't keep up with the Joneses. What the what? Maybe there's a specific gap, like a 'safety zone' that's the key to this income compatibility dilemma?
What is considered middle class salary?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:47 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
If she is someone I really care about and committed to or could be, then the answer is zero. The only thing that matters in that case is if the combined total income is enough to support at least the basic needs of life and freedom.

Also, a woman making more money is not something to be mad about or an issue of dispute. It means that she might be very bright or at least managed to climb the ladder of her field. I love a gf who can rub some of her good habits on to me and vice versa. If nothing else, your birthday gift will be nice, haha just kidding Some guys need to quit the uber-competitiveness and pettiness sometimes.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Six figures. When both are at that level, it takes money out of any arguments.

My wife arrived in this country about 15 years ago with an overnight bag and $40 in her pocket for a one-year stay as part of a cultural exchange program. She crossed the six figure mark a few years ago. We disagree on things regularly, but argue very rarely, and money never enters the discussion.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:03 AM

235 posts, read 837,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What is considered middle class salary?
Me: $70k with benefits and job security. Put myself through uni, no big debts, except a very manageable mortgage. Bachelor No. 1 was self-employed and earning about $25k, in a creative field, so if he was happy with that, then I was happy with that; i think it surprised us both that he resented earning less than me.

Bachelor No. 2, a senior professional earning, I'm making a wild guess, $120-$130k. He was pretty fixated on money, so his net worth has probably accumulated over the years. I couldn't even ballpark that though, I didn't know him well enough. He wasn't flashy, and at the time, I didn't know how senior his position was in his career. We were never in a situation for him to spend money on me, I should add, and I wasn't manouevering in that direction either... He assumes everyone else is as money obsessed as he is, though.

Most people will back away from someone who constantly throws their money away. But when is a tightwad too much of a tightwad? (-:

Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
For men, money doesn’t seem to be a deal breaker when it comes to dating, relationships, etc. as much as it is for women. Sure there are exceptions but it is just that, exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
if she makes less than me, and she wants a divorce, then i'm expected (for some reason) to provide her with my standard of living for the rest of her life.
This is something I don’t understand about American divorce laws where men are expected to provide their ex-wife with the standard of living she got used to while living with her ex-husband. How about having the ex-wife providing her ex-husband the standard of living he was used to while living with her? Which would involve her cooking for him at least one meal a day 5 days a week, washing his dishes, sex at least once a week (just like when they were married) etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships