Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does it get tougher to be in a relationship after college?
yes 4 26.67%
in most cases 1 6.67%
it is just as tough or as easy after college 1 6.67%
No 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:37 PM

58 posts, read 91,254 times

Advertisements

here is a little background about the town I live in

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-has-made.html

I did not have your typical childhood. Unfortunately I was not given the privilege of being in one town or city and developing childhood friends, my family moved around often from country to country (I was born in a foreign country). Around the age of 10 I came to the US, we first lived in New York for a year and then in California for about two (greatest time I have had in America).

When I turned 13 my parents moved to an area which lets just say I would not want to raise my kids in. Also, I have immigrant parents who still held their strict immigrant mindset for my first two years in this place. They rarely let me out and often yelled at me and stopped me from having a social life (when I turned 15 they became a lot more lenient). Athletic pursuits and pursuits of fitness were often stopped and as a result I became fat, they kept making a big deal out of everything academic (thankfully they cooled off).

Since most public high schools in my area were full of gangs, drug dealers, and crack addicts (graduation rates were below 50 percent), my parents decided to send me to a magnet school which had very few students (had 60 seniors in our graduating class).

The magnet school I went to was not that good at preparing kids for college so as a result I ended up at a local university where I am at right now. I tried my best to make the most of it but when I said it limited me, IT REALLY did limit me.

Anyways my plan is to graduate college (get my bachelors of science), go to med school and maybe during those years (hopefully go to med school in CA, NY, or a good state) I can get that chance to date different kinds of women.

Most girls in my area are fat (not to be critical but seriously, we are talking serious obesity), have bad attitudes, and at my university a good number of them are married or in a relationship (shown on their facebook). A lot of kids live a county about 6 miles away from me (the ones I have made friends with) so it becomes tough for me in that regard.

Is it going to get tougher from here on out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,679,521 times
Focus on your studies, stop worrying about women, and yes it will get better, guaranteed.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:59 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
It will progress worse for a few years. Then you have to fight the women off.
After you turn 30 you will see dating much easier.

Now is the time to sharpen those skills with cougars.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
WavinFlag: Do you plan or want to get married and have a family?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:08 PM

58 posts, read 91,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
hopefully not

Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WavinFlag View Post
hopefully not
Okay. Then why are so worried about getting a girlfriend? I mean, I can understand if you did want to get married and have children? But if you don't, then why?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
He is 18 years old. Come on, what a ridiculous question. He shouldn't even be thinking about this as of yet.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:15 PM

13,929 posts, read 39,310,687 times
My son 1st gf was LAst Summer he was 36!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WavinFlag View Post
hopefully not
It's weird really, I'm 20 and had no girlfriend or anything yet. But my situation is a bit of a reverse from yours. I grew up as a Baptist in a dominantly Mormon community AND I want to leave for a Southern state while currently finishing up my AA in Community College.

With your grades I wouldn't hesitate to think some college will accept you, if you don't like it there where you are now, get out. I'm agreeing with OngletNYC.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Something I'd like to point out to the OP, and anyone else who feels similarly. I am a little more than twice your age, and looking back one thing I can say for sure is this: every dog has his day. The guys you know who have it easy with women, always have a girlfriend? Well, that's for now. Those guys are peaking. In other 5-6 years, it will be someone else. One thing I can say for sure is that men who hit their stride in their 30s seem to be the best off. They are established by then, building a career, they know who they are, and they know what they want and need in a woman. To have all of these things going for you when it's your turn to do well with women is an excellent thing. This is why I think you should just focus on college for now and stop thinking about women. Your day will come and you will know it when it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships