Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Why do people keep bringing up the term "obsession" and "obsessive"? I never said anything about that. What about an entrepreneur starting and building a business? Or someone wanting to build a home or maybe a car from one of those kits? It's healthy to do things to stimulate your mind. And saying its a potential problem because "it might me they'll have less time for ME" is a bit selfish.

Ambition and obsession are two different things.
As Mooseketeer and others have pointed out, this type of hobby can mean that every weekend and all his spare attention--and yes, spare cash too--might be sunk into this hobby. That might not be someone to build a life with. Dating, sure ... cohabiting, maybe ... but the big picture? I think it's okay to at least be wary. I'd talk to the guy and see what he has built, because it's interesting, but I'd also want to get a sense of whether this man has room in his life for something besides his hobby. I wouldn't want to play second fiddle to a submarine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 06:09 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
There's a guy on the New England coast that has a hobby of searching for artifacts of historical significance in some of the larger rivers and waterways. He has a submarine that he constructed himself to conduct these searches.

That got me thinking.. Something like that requires a lot of ambition, research, time and hard work. That is indeed something that people would commend, but then again some people would see that as "eccentric" or "weird" (since some people look for any excuse to scream "red flag").

So ladies, what if you met a guy and he said he had his own submarine?

(I'm a guy, but the closest I ever got was building my own house. Not even close to something like a submersible watercraft!)
"Impressed" is not the proper term really, but I would certainly find it interesting! I prefer a man that has passion for other things in his life than just me...I just think that's healthy. Nothing "weird" about it to me. Of course, if it were an obsession, then I wouldn't be interested in him as a partner. But I'd not know that until I met him and found out more.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:18 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"Impressed" is not the proper term really, but I would certainly find it interesting! I prefer a man that has passion for other things in his life than just me...I just think that's healthy. Nothing "weird" about it to me. Of course, if it were an obsession, then I wouldn't be interested in him as a partner. But I'd not know that until I met him and found out more.
That is a very reasonable and fair way to look at it. Both people in a relationship need hobbies and interests of their own.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I'd be impressed...and I hope he'd teach me how to do it!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Submerging yourself in your hobby is a great thing, as long as you remember to come up for air and engage with the rest of the world, and especially your S.O.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
homeade submarine.... more commonly known as a "coffin." Sounds real sexy.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:42 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Default Would you be impressed if a man told you he built his own submarine?

Yes.

Right up until I saw the screen doors he installed on it.

Really though, how many women would go for a ride in a submarine a guy built? That would be a better question.

I think the answer would be none.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Why do people keep bringing up the term "obsession" and "obsessive"? I never said anything about that. What about an entrepreneur starting and building a business? Or someone wanting to build a home or maybe a car from one of those kits? It's healthy to do things to stimulate your mind. And saying its a potential problem because "it might me they'll have less time for ME" is a bit selfish.

Ambition and obsession are two different things.
Well I think it's really interesting and I'd be more willing to date someone like that than someone who sits on the couch watching the tube all day. And dating someone w/o a hobby is just as risky b/c I've seen plenty of people who got obsessed with watching TV or sports or chasing other women. At least if he's out in his shop, I can go out there and talk to him, unlike if he's watching a game, and then maybe I'll learn something too.

But, while the submarine is cool, and all other things being equal, I'd be more interested in a man who can build a house, esp if he has quite an imagination.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:51 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Consider the fact that millions of women are married to guys who are dullards and are perfectly content to sit in front of the tv every night like a sack of potatoes with a beer. If I was a woman I'd much prefer to be married to a creative man who actually wanted to turn his dreams into reality and had the tenacity to do so. A friend of mine from high school who I hadn't talked to in decades recently found out where I was and contacted me. He's happily married and told me about his interest in airplanes and that he had constructed a small aircraft by himself. I really think it's a cool and impressive accomplishment and when you stop and think about it these are the kind of people who have helped to further the technological progress of society in countless ways. I see it as a very positive trait.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:19 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
What would really impress most women a whole lot more would be if a man was rich enough to buy his own submarine, rather than build one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships