Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,552,222 times

Advertisements

Hi,

People normally describe me as shy and introverted. But, like Mariah Carey and Beyonce, I have an alter ego. And when this alter ego walks up and talks to people, it notices that only 40% of people actually want to talk.

Why do people come down on shy people? Unless you're willing to randomly chat up a stranger, what is the point?

Also, why did facebook develop a facebook chat when hardly anyone on it ever wants to chat? There are probably 20-30 out of 154 average who can use it, and only 3 of them actually like to chat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,127 times
It is a bunch of BS for someone who hasn't said a thing all day to go up to another person and ask them why they are quiet or shy. Don't criticize people for the same thing you are doing if you are not going to swallow the same medicine.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 AM

147 posts, read 213,632 times
Some people are just not good at small talk, or not interested in small talk. There's nothing wrong with being shy. There's nothing wrong with being outgoing either. People are just different.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,309 times
Outgoing is more refering your behavior in a social environment like an event, or a night out, or a party. I dont really considering walking up to strangers or facebook chat to be "outgoing". I also think the people you know will tend to be like you, introverted. So basically your introverted, and you get short bursts of optimism and courage to try to be extroverted, but your surrounded by introverts so that doesn't go well.

My advice? Make some new friends (who are introverted but not as much, more tallkative).

Old 07-20-2011, 12:07 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
Could be that by being introverted by nature, you have also developed some friendships with introverts too?

I have always been very introverted by nature. To the extent that I suffered from social anxiety for a long time. I didn't mind being near the life of the party, but had no interest to be engaged with them in conversaation all the time.

If most of your friends are people of few words, then that could be why.

As for those who remark you are introverted or shy, it may not be just conversation, but may also be the physical signs you give off, avoiding eye contact, etc.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:52 PM

550 posts, read 604,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Hi,

People normally describe me as shy and introverted. But, like Mariah Carey and Beyonce, I have an alter ego. And when this alter ego walks up and talks to people, it notices that only 40% of people actually want to talk.
You've actually done the math, huh.....

Quote:
Also, why did facebook develop a facebook chat when hardly anyone on it ever wants to chat? There are probably 20-30 out of 154 average who can use it, and only 3 of them actually like to chat.
It's Facebook. People don't want to chat, they want attention.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 AM

147 posts, read 213,632 times
Speaking Facebook...this is a funny commercial

‪Social Network (Toyota Venza 1)‬‏ - YouTube

Having hundreds of friends on Facebook is not "living."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships