Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
God, I wish all women were like you!
Be careful what you wish for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM

550 posts, read 604,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Be careful what you wish for.
Wait. You ARE a straight woman, right?????

Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
Wait. You ARE a straight woman, right?????
Well, Im a little curvy.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
I think women are more susceptible to this than men. After all, women have been fed a constant diet of uber-romantic crapola from the time they slid their first Disney movie into the VHS player. So a man must be incredibly handsome, brave, strong, rich and, if at all possible, a prince. So when men turn into flesh-and-blood people, their mixture of strengths and weaknesses, a lot of women get turned off by this.

Men on the other hand, if they indulge in their fantasy, want uber-horney Playboy models who can suck a tennis ball through ten feet of garden hose at the drop of a hat.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,699,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
We went and saw the first two films at the drive in, close to their end and in the middle of the week so there were only like...4 cars in the entire place. Me and my friend sat on lawn chairs without the sound on and just dubbed our own lines for the movie. Apparently, according to our other friends (who ended up turning off their radios to listen to our version) we were much better at dialogue than the actual movie

As for unrealistic expectations, I think it's true for both sexes. I think that's where a lot of women get the idea that they can turn a 'bad boy' into marriage material. They want to be that 'one woman' heroine that turns a player into a devoted husband. Blech. For the men, they see these beautiful actresses doing dishes or just hanging out looking nearly perfect...they don't realize that wardrobe and makeup and extensive and that everyday women don't usually look like that while vacuuming the house
That reminds me of the movie The Stepford Wives.... scary! Also, the idea that "bad boys" are just sexy men waiting to be reformed is sad. You'd think women would realize that this is not the case but the romantic in them probably overrules their logic

LOL I would love to hear some of your original dialogue, if you remember any I'm sure it's 100x better than the ridiculous drivel in those ridiculous films.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:42 AM

31,077 posts, read 22,130,979 times
Biggest most persistant unrealities are

"A man will come along to save you" Just as likely he will be incompatiable with you.
"there is only one true Love for you in your life" There are many people that you can fall in love with.
"Money isn't everything" You need a certain amount of money to provide shelter and food. If your partner can't provide the minimum you should not be allowed to reproduce!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Biggest most persistant unrealities are

"A man will come along to save you" Just as likely he will be incompatiable with you.
"there is only one true Love for you in your life" There are many people that you can fall in love with.
"Money isn't everything" You need a certain amount of money to provide shelter and food. If your partner can't provide the minimum you should not be allowed to reproduce!
Well, here are three phrases that many women use A LOT.

Mr. Right
Knight In Shining Armor
Prince Charming

In short, the women who use these phrases tend to live in a fantasy world, one bereft of reality, an expectation of perfection. If you're a guy and hear some woman use this phrase, run away as fast as you can, because you'll never be able to live up to the Disney archetype they've built up in their empty little heads.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,469,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Of what I have seen it is usually some 40 something actor(whoever is considered the hot property at the moment) that portrays a 30 something single male:

1. who has an extremely high paid job or business he is almost never at, and on his rare visits gets nagged by either some old battleaxe or nerdy weird girl secretary
2. who has a very cool car, maybe a classic sportscar or convertible, that he parks anywhere without abandon and hops over the door
3. who has some incredible loft in the city
4. who is portrayed as being in the "friendzone" of the main woman character
5. who has an ex girlfriend that is the stereotypical bimbo or biatch
6. who then at some point comes to his senses and hooks up with the main female character.
Sounds like most romantic movies Jake Gyllenhaal-Ryan Reynolds-Bradley Cooper does, used to be Michael J. Fox.

People have to stop believing in Hollywoodweirdland stories.

Those bedtime stories adult women were told when they were little girls have ruined everything for men today.

Just as bad as pin up mags-sports illustrated swimsuit mag-and all the other body mags - have made nearly all women and men unrealistic about female physiology and are one big payday for plastic surgeons.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think women are more susceptible to this than men. After all, women have been fed a constant diet of uber-romantic crapola from the time they slid their first Disney movie into the VHS player. So a man must be incredibly handsome, brave, strong, rich and, if at all possible, a prince. So when men turn into flesh-and-blood people, their mixture of strengths and weaknesses, a lot of women get turned off by this.

Men on the other hand, if they indulge in their fantasy, want uber-horney Playboy models who can suck a tennis ball through ten feet of garden hose at the drop of a hat.

So its true, men dont really have any expectations as long as they have sex?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by JetJockey
We went and saw the first two films at the drive in, close to their end and in the middle of the week so there were only like...4 cars in the entire place. Me and my friend sat on lawn chairs without the sound on and just dubbed our own lines for the movie. Apparently, according to our other friends (who ended up turning off their radios to listen to our version) we were much better at dialogue than the actual movie

LOL. Did you ever watch Mystery Science Theater 2000?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships