Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,554,621 times

Advertisements

No I do not go to Church, but I also do not have a gay pastor who preaches against homosexuality(Bishop Eddie Long).

Yet, people keep asking things like what church I go to.

The thing is, a lot of the people I meet(men and women) who keep GOD in their mouths do not even know the scripture. They say things like "God doesn't like ugly, but will leave dog sh*t on the floor when getting evicted. This same guy was on alcohol, weed, bi polar, and frankly didn't have it together at all. He was a Womanizer too. Alsways had a woman who wasn't his girlfriend around or was hollering at women.

Then the whole 12 step program revolves around GOD, so I can see how it became popular to keep God in the mix when you're on drugs. Yet, many don't follow the program.

And frankly, the people who go to Church scare me more than those who don't.

There are Catholics in America, but even they seem to be having sex before marriage and getting divorces. Both which are no-nos for Catholics. Big no nos. They might as well be Baptist. King Henry the eighth had women beheaded over this.

So, is it really bad to not be Explicitly Christian when dating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,485,161 times
What does it matter? If you are honest about who you are and what you want, then you will have a much better chance of meeting compatible people who share your views. I am not a Christian and would never pretend to be anything I'm not, and even though Christians are a considerable majority, I rarely had difficulty finding a compatible date.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 PM

Yeah, but the thing is, I don't go to Church because so many are unclean. When Jesus found an unclean Temple, he basically cleaned it out. These unclena temples had gambling and other un Chrsitian things in them.

The megachurches in the Atlanta area are very close to the same. Becoming a pastor or deacon has become more of a profession than a calling.

I am honest about it, but I find that I tend to write off people who buy into people like Bishop Eddie Long.

The bad news is, his church still has 500,000+. In a city of 15 million, that's almost 1 out of 30.

http://youtu.be/8C0dW8alO3Q

I know people say a Church can have hypocrites in it, but surely not leading the flock.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 PM

861 posts, read 1,125,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
No I do not go to Church, but I also do not have a gay pastor who preaches against homosexuality(Bishop Eddie Long).

Yet, people keep asking things like what church I go to.

The thing is, a lot of the people I meet(men and women) who keep GOD in their mouths do not even know the scripture. They say things like "God doesn't like ugly, but will leave dog sh*t on the floor when getting evicted. This same guy was on alcohol, weed, bi polar, and frankly didn't have it together at all. He was a Womanizer too. Alsways had a woman who wasn't his girlfriend around or was hollering at women.

Then the whole 12 step program revolves around GOD, so I can see how it became popular to keep God in the mix when you're on drugs. Yet, many don't follow the program.

And frankly, the people who go to Church scare me more than those who don't.

There are Catholics in America, but even they seem to be having sex before marriage and getting divorces. Both which are no-nos for Catholics. Big no nos. They might as well be Baptist. King Henry the eighth had women beheaded over this.

So, is it really bad to not be Explicitly Christian when dating?
I don't see anything wrong with it...everyone has different religious views.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,213,952 times
You do not have to attend church regularly or at all in order to be Christian, nor are all the people who go to church actual believers. Many are nominal or simply believe in defending the idea of religion, which is easier than actually practicing it. If you are a Christian and want to date down-to-earth Christians who aren't hypocrites, then ignore the ones like those you described.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,218,687 times
It's going to be tougher in more Christian areas, but nowadays it seems more okay to be something other than Christian. Either way, you have to be who you are. It would feel strange for me to date someone who's really big into religion, but it's a matter of being accepting. If someone's willing to accept my agnosticism, I can accept their religion.

I've known some pretty normal church-goers, though. It's not all that surprising that they make similar mistakes to non-religious people since there are different levels of religious people and they're human.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:55 PM

I'm not saying people can't be human and make mistakes.

But certain ones are willingly making mistakes against teachings, then going to church thinking it will all be ok. That is why in come Western cities, there are gang related shootings in churches. Someone may have killed someone the day before and they think the Church is still sacred to a non governmental entity while they go there to hide.

And then there are the Bishop Eddie Longs. One in a long line of pastors who preach against homosexuality and end up being homosexual. After seeing some of his sermons, I wonder if he just made up stuff because I never saw "cross it up" in the bible.

‪Bishop Eddie Long cranks up the new dance called "Cross It Up"‬‏ - YouTube

It's one thing to try to reform yourself in the church.

It's another to be a wolf leading the flock astray.

At least we still have the Pope in Italy.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,836,185 times
you seem to be really bent on this "Christians doing wrong" and "sheep lead astray" theme here.

Basically, it doesn't matter who you are or what you follow. While dating, you want to have sex? You want a divorce? Go right ahead. IF that's okay with you truly and really. People ought to follow their inner guidance system/moral compass in making these decisions, in my opinion. We are put on this Earth specifically so we can follow our own guidance systems, appreciate the contrast, and grow from each and every life experience. This personal growth cannot be dictated by any religious group in my opinion. And just because someone doesn't follow a particular "rule" doesn't make them a bad member of any religion or bad in any way. Just follow what feels right in your heart.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
you seem to be really bent on this "Christians doing wrong" and "sheep lead astray" theme here.

Basically, it doesn't matter who you are or what you follow. While dating, you want to have sex? You want a divorce? Go right ahead. IF that's okay with you truly and really. People ought to follow their inner guidance system/moral compass in making these decisions, in my opinion. We are put on this Earth specifically so we can follow our own guidance systems, appreciate the contrast, and grow from each and every life experience. This personal growth cannot be dictated by any religious group in my opinion. And just because someone doesn't follow a particular "rule" doesn't make them a bad member of any religion or bad in any way. Just follow what feels right in your heart.

I'm not bent on it.

It's just that Eddie Long settled last month. These are recent events.

If you read, you will see that I am also talking about different denominations. I feel these denominations have rules for a reason. For Catholics it is probably to contain disease(no sex til marriage + no divorce) and to spread(no birth control).

If many do whatever they want, they might as well be anyone. I guess it's like claiming to be a Police Officer and running a drug operation on the side. Or claiming to be a skinhead, while doing business with the Crips and bloods in prison.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,991,570 times
You sound almost as if you have more of a hangup with religion than with dating. Almost as if you have an agenda here that is MORE about religion than about dating. What city/part of city and state do you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships