Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:30 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,726 times

Advertisements

Especially moving on with another person possibly, does it feel weird or odd initially? But then as you get more involved with the other person, the past whatever/whoever just kind of happily fades away?

I'm in a really bizarre state here. On one hand, the person I used to like is an impossibility. But while I may perhaps be partially stuck, I'm also not too hesitant to talk to or go out with other guys. I suppose as you move on to another person, it just gets better and better and better?

I've never had to do this before. This whole moving on business. Now, being stuck - that I know all about. Moving on - what a new novel and exhilarating idea.

Who here has dumped a crush/love interest (mentally that is) to move on with a new somebody and enjoyed the process?

Gimme lots of encouragement people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,842 times
It's alright. I know how that feels. I've been single since last September and haven't met anyone I like yet. I want to meet more guys and give them a chance, but I feel like I don't have a lot of confidence and not a whole lot to offer either.

Im over my ex but no one I like has come along. But the key is to keep an open mind and try to meet different guys.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
Who here has dumped a crush/love interest (mentally that is) to move on with a new somebody and enjoyed the process?

Sorry, can't say I enjoy either the break-ups (even if I have initiated them) or the "processes" after them. A part of you dies. You can't talk much about it or share pictures of it as if this period of time didn't exist. Hopes and dreams die. It's an all-around funeral in my book. I like the concept of "forever and ever."

Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 PM

NOTHING is more important than that I feel good, than that my life is fulfilling and filled with experiences that make me feel ALIVE and GRATEFUL and happy and content.

any man ANY man upon whom I focus on and end up feeling less than great, is just not worth it!

No ex boyfriend ex husband ex crush ex-whatever is worth experiencing the dark hole that is sorrow. I CHOOSE to be happy. I CHOOSE me. If that makes me selfish, then I'm happy to be selfish. I don't owe him a thing. He was the one who didn't make a move. Even if he were to drop into my lap three months from now, it doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, the most important relationship is between me and Me. AND when it comes time to choosing between moping over a guy and keeping myself happy (even if that means I am "cruelly" kicking all the memories and good times temporarily to the curb).... I choose me today, tomorrow and any freaking day.

My happiness lies within me. Not in things that are beyond my control. Is finding a fulfilling relationship in my control? Yes

Finding a fulfilling relationship with that specific person? No

Does it matter? No

Is a fulfilling relationship in my future? Yes

With that specific person? No

Does it matter? NO.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:30 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,667 times
It sounds like you know the answer to your own question. It's nice to focus on yourself but it gets old after a while. I remember when I was single...and the uncertainty about the future and not knowing was kind of lonely. However...it was a great time of growth for me too. Plus making the bed was easy as the covers would stay in place as I don't really toss and turn or move around when I sleep. I would roll out and flip the corner back.
Blessings of being single...ah the good old days.

(Not)

Old 07-21-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
It sounds like you know the answer to your own question. It's nice to focus on yourself but it gets old after a while. I remember when I was single...and the uncertainty about the future and not knowing was kind of lonely. However...it was a great time of growth for me too. Plus making the bed was easy as the covers would stay in place as I don't really toss and turn or move around when I sleep. I would roll out and flip the corner back.

(Not)
I dont think I have a problem with that, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to end up alone.

"uncertainty" or "loneliness" is probably not an issue for me, i dont like to mope around and think about "the future"

Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
I like your confidence but it has to be limited.

Selfishness is not a good quality.

We all will suffer from a broken relationship. This is a normal thing but you are right...you cannot let it affect you to the point where you are sad all the time.

I like that you are positive about your future in having a good relationship and that you will not be alone.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:33 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,288 times
It can feel good if you've truly worked through the old business from the failed relationship and are ready in your heart for someone new. Usually that takes a little time if the old relationship was long or if the person was really important to you. But, if you're truly ready, then yes, it will feel like a wonderful thing to find the right person again. I agree with Sierra that the memory of the time you were with the old person may always be tinged with some sadness. That's true in a lot of cases, I think. But, you'll have a new chapter of your life to write as well.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 AM

826 posts, read 1,894,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
Especially moving on with another person possibly, does it feel weird or odd initially? But then as you get more involved with the other person, the past whatever/whoever just kind of happily fades away?

I'm in a really bizarre state here. On one hand, the person I used to like is an impossibility. But while I may perhaps be partially stuck, I'm also not too hesitant to talk to or go out with other guys. I suppose as you move on to another person, it just gets better and better and better?

I've never had to do this before. This whole moving on business. Now, being stuck - that I know all about. Moving on - what a new novel and exhilarating idea.

Nice topic. Seeking answers to this question as well.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 AM

826 posts, read 1,894,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post

(Not)
I want to thank you for writing the bolded as I know exactly what you mean. When you are single, people always tell you, focus on yourself, enjoy your freedom, try to grow, do this and do that. They don't realize that it does get old after a while, and at the end of the day, you want a person, a person to share life and intimacies with. No amount of working on yourself will quench that desire. We are human and we are social beings.

Also, the point you made about uncertainty about the future, is also really big. If every single was certain he/she will meet the woman/man of his/her dreams... If every single was 100% sure that he/she will be partnered then it would be easy to not worry and relax.

However, we all know it's not certain. Some people never get partnered in life, not to talk of meeting "the one". It is this uncertainty (among others) that makes singles freak out and worry and also makes the single phase, not that enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships