Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 PM

175 posts, read 914,265 times

Advertisements

It seems like being in a romantic relationship can often be a stressor for people, but the average Joe (or Jolene) must get something out of being in a relationship because so many people are either in a relationship or seeking to be in one for most of their adult life.

For me personally, I've probably had too many experiences that have finally led me to think the work, stress, "requirements", and heartache of being in a romantic relationship are less desirable than the freedom of being single. But, yes, I realize I might be the minority with this line of thinking.

So for those of you in a relationship, I'm curious--in what specific ways do you personally benefit from being with your significant other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:04 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,131,842 times
My hubby & I give each other support - emotionally, financially, & especially in parenting.
When he's had a bad day, he can talk to me, get a long hug.
When I've had a bad day, he'll listen & rub my back.

We've wanted to give up on our marriage several times over the 12 years we've been married, but we hang in there, mostly for our children. It's hard enough parenting with 2 of us, I can't imagine doing it alone!

We both have wondered what it would be like if we were with someone else, or just being free... I imagine most in long-term commitments wonder that at least once. Before we were married, being single was exciting - I could do what I wanted, move around. I had a roommate, but still my place was empty & lonely when I came home, which changed when I met my hubby.

Yes, as you mentioned, relationships can be a pain, but like the popular saying goes, "Everyone's going to cause you pain... just find the one worth suffering for."

Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Companionship/friendship, family, a sense of home, sex, an intellectual equal that enjoys my passion for science, a partner in my projects, goals, and dreams.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Companionship, emotional support, a like-minded peer with similar values and priorities, and, of course, sex. For starters. A true partner.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:41 PM

530 posts, read 779,884 times
There will be someone to pick me up at the airport when I return(and someone to miss me when I'm gone).
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 08:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny how? View Post
There will be someone to pick me up at the airport when I return(and someone to miss me when I'm gone).
Good thing you added something in the parentheses 'cause long-term parking ain't THAT expensive.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times
In addition to the things the other posters have mentioned, one of the favorite things about my husband is that he is so much fun to be around. He knows how to put a smile on my face when I'm feeling stressed out or blue. He's the greatest person I've ever known and he loves me like I've never been loved before (and vice versa).

penner - I believe that you feel the way you do because you just haven't been with the right person.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:14 PM

530 posts, read 779,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post

penner - I believe that you feel the way you do because you just haven't been with the right person.

Yeah, it's kind of like an episode of "everybody loves Raymond", when Ray says You wake up-she's there. You come back from work, she's there. You fall asleep-she's there. You eat dinner-she's there. And I know that sounds like a bad thing. But, it's not.

With the right one, it's not!!
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
In addition to the things the other posters have mentioned, one of the favorite things about my husband is that he is so much fun to be around. He knows how to put a smile on my face when I'm feeling stressed out or blue. He's the greatest person I've ever known and he loves me like I've never been loved before (and vice versa).
These are a couple of the important points with me, too. My SO is *fun*. I belly-laugh every day. And he knows me better than anyone else, and he *still* loves me. And I know him, I'm closer with him than anyone I've ever known. I can't believe, after all this time, I still look forward for him to come home. And how much we talk all the time. What could we possibly have left to talk about, LOL. We're there for each other. I haven't always had that, and it feels nice.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 PM

10 posts, read 12,574 times
She makes me wanna live<3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships