Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:02 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,457,850 times

Advertisements

I was raised Christian, so yeah I know the religious theme behind this...but if we can ignore the verses in the Bible that condone slavery, then why not this one?

I ask this simply because I disagree with this premise. Sexual compatibility is an essential part of any marriage (NOT the only thing mind you, but it's important). If two people in a relationship practice abstinence till marriage, then come to find out that they want different things sexually then what?

What if one spouse wants certain sexual practices that the other is against? eg oral and everything else, and the other spouse doesnt approve, can you see yourself going a lifetime? Isnt this just encouraging the deprived partner to go outside the marriage?

What if the male has, let's call it 'undersized equipment' can you women see yourselves going a lifetime with that? (and no self respecting man is going to confess this to you beforehand. Sorry. Dont believe that one)

Some women find sex painful/unpleasant for a variety of reasons...can the men go on without it/once in a blue moon?

Some men don't like sex very much (rare I know but I have heard of this) can women deal with that?

Some of these issues can be discovered by talking about it that's true, but there are other things that you will just have to go through to know if it works for you or not. And no, I dont see people just suffering in silence for the next 20, 30 or 50 years (depending on how old you are). This isnt 1940 anymore. Divorce is not taboo, but why not potentially avoid that issue before hand?

And finally, let me reiterate, sex is not the ONLY component of a good relationship, so if your spouse ok let's be real, if your man is sleeping with you with no intention of marrying you then obviously your relationship was never strong to begin with. I'm talking about serious partners here.

What do you guys/gals think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,048,999 times
Just a couple negatives...

In terms of the relationship, sex too early in the relationship could cause people to develop their relationship on the basis of their physical relationship and not based on how much they otherwise like and get along with each other. (Which will result in problems later in their marriage if they find they are not too compatable outside of sex).

Sex before marriage, with multiple partners, could lead to increased risk of disease.

Sex before marriage increases the chance of having a pregnancy before one is really wanted. (Even with contraceptives, because they are not 100% foolproof).

Not saying you have not made potentially valid points either. Just providing some counterpoints.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,204,974 times
For me personally, sex before marriage is a must. If others want to wait until marriage - I'm not going to judge them. But I wouldn't marry anyone unless I felt completely comfortable with them - and that just isn't possible if we haven't had sex.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,457,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Just a couple negatives...

In terms of the relationship, sex too early in the relationship could cause people to develop their relationship on the basis of their physical relationship and not based on how much they otherwise like and get along with each other. (Which will result in problems later in their marriage if they find they are not too compatable outside of sex).

Sex before marriage, with multiple partners, could lead to increased risk of disease.

Sex before marriage increases the chance of having a pregnancy before one is really wanted. (Even with contraceptives, because they are not 100% foolproof).

Not saying you have not made potentially valid points either. Just providing some counterpoints.

I should have made a better clarification; I'm assuming that the two people involved are involved in a serious monogamous relationship. The question is; since they know (or should know) everything else about each other, shouldnt they also know about each other sexually? After all, poor sex can derail a relationship

Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Sure...if you are totally serious, why not have sex?

Casual sex bothers me because then I know that this person doesn't think it's something special to be shared by two people in love. It might as well be a handshake.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM

859 posts, read 2,831,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
For me personally, sex before marriage is a must. If others want to wait until marriage - I'm not going to judge them. But I wouldn't marry anyone unless I felt completely comfortable with them - and that just isn't possible if we haven't had sex.

I couldn't agree more. I can't imagine being married to someone I haven't had sex with. I dated a girl for 6 months once and we were great together. Had a good time and all and finally slept together and the sex was horrible. We tried for months but she was just plain bad at it and generally non responsive. We eventually broke up due to the sex.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 PM

321 posts, read 534,612 times
For two adult people to be in love, what else would you do to explore the time to be intimate and look closely at relationships? Playstation Joy Sticks , Scrabble, or Sex?
But what happens next is also interesting - you dun wanna sleeping with someone who happens to snore loudly, keeps kicking you out of the bed, insisting that she cuddle the dog instead of you or "the morning after effects" the rest of your life unless you can stand it.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:48 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,405,375 times
I have wrestle and come to my own conclusion to avoid all of these for my own sake. It has serve me well to this day. I'm not going to be with someone who values "sexual compatibility" over who I am as a person. It's important all right, but I know I am already judged by that.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,342,570 times
I seriously doubt and christian or any religious person (save maybe the muslims) can say the majority of people like them were virgins before marriage.

Sex before marriage used to be a bad thing now its rather expected. I know I would expect it.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:16 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,391,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
What do you guys/gals think?
I think that religions have made up this rule and it is completely unnatural.

First, sex is a natural, human, biological event. It's nature. All animals do it. Marriage, on the other hand, is a human-created institution. Just like education, civiliations or governments. It is has nothing to do with nature or biology. So how does one create a rule in which to govern a biological function and then call it a moral sin??

Humans are made to have sex. That's why we have the parts. If you choose to adhere to such a man-made rule, that is your biz but its not the way of nature.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships