Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times

Advertisements

I told someone that I would no longer listen to any of his voicemails and blocked his email address. I'll admit, the email I sent to him was pretty intense. But the things he's done to me in the past few years have been totally unacceptable so I finally just decided to write him off. Ok, so some of you can say I had to have the last word, but that's not true. Least I don't think so. Anyway, in spite of my saying what I did he just phoned. His voicemail will just be deleted without listening to it.
So why do some people just have to have the last word? At this point, he can have it. Or think he had it. I don't care but I'm wondering what makes these people tick. Is it just a control thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
It's probably just me, but from my perspective it's mostly women and older men who love getting in the last word. I don't get it ether.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
It's probably just me, but from my perspective it's mostly women and older men who love getting in the last word. I don't get it ether.
Ah, he is an older man. Maybe it's some "I'm not going to listen to some youngster" sort of deal.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ah, he is an older man. Maybe it's some "I'm not going to listen to some youngster" sort of deal.
Older men aren't as bad as women though. They're so much worse, it's like they HAVE to, absolutely HAVE TO HAVE the last word. They won't stop until you stop and they say the last goodbye, or last snap!

I don't really care anymore. I just say my peace and leave it at that.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:25 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Older men aren't as bad as women though. They're so much worse, it's like they HAVE to, absolutely HAVE TO HAVE the last word. They won't stop until you stop and they say the last goodbye, or last snap!

If they do, or think they know more than I do, I will tell them to get bent. I might be more passive about telling them to shove off. If I cross paths with the idiots later and they try to talk to me, I ignore them.

If they continue to try to talk to me, I remind them to shove off. It takes me a while to get to that point with someone, And it usually accumulates.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:

LOL, I'm a woman and I'm going to just delete his message and he can think he had the last word, so I guess that makes me so much not worse.

Maybe it's true with younger women, but I'm too tired to argue and it's a waste of energy. While I'll venture over into POC sometimes, I can't make a steady diet of it. Too much back and forth bickering and fighting.

Oh, and I think the ignore feature here is great too. I can't argue with those on ignore. And they can't argue with me. Oops, thinking of the other thread. Basically, by putting them on ignore, I am letting them have the last word.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,225 times
Lol this made me chuckle since I'm notorious for having to have the last word. It often got me in trouble as a little girl and now that I'm older and much more aware of it, I try to control it better but I still have that trait in me, it's part of my personality. I just can't leave the other person with the satisfaction when I know with certainty that I am right...I'll have that itch that won't go away unless I say something . I think that it's a personality thing...at least that's the way I see it since I've been like that since I was little.

Also, I understand what you're saying with that guy. The same happens to me when I try to break it off with a guy and they just can't let go or can't take rejection so they go on and on...so sometimes it's just better if I shut up and let them have their last word. In those cases I don't care if I get the last word in...I just want them to leave me alone .

Old 08-21-2011, 10:45 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
I love when some threaten to tattle or whatever. I watched that unfold a few weeks back. It was the funniest thing. There are times when button pushing is fun. There are other times when ignoring someone is even more fun.

Quote:
I married miss right. I didn't realize her first name was "Always."
Ignore is only one way. unless you pissed them off and they put you on ignore too. It goes along the lines of human nature, expose a weakness and I will exploit it.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Lol this made me chuckle since I'm notorious for having to have the last word. It often got me in trouble as a little girl and now that I'm older and much more aware of it, I try to control it better but I still have that trait in me, it's part of my personality. I just can't leave the other person with the satisfaction when I know with certainty that I am right...I'll have that itch that won't go away unless I say something . I think that it's a personality thing...at least that's the way I see it since I've been like that since I was little.

Also, I understand what you're saying with that guy. The same happens to me when I try to break it off with a guy and they just can't let go or can't take rejection so they go on and on...so sometimes it's just better if I shut up and let them have their last word. In those cases I don't care if I get the last word in...I just want them to leave me alone .
Well, I was never romantically involved with this person, but we were close enough that at one point I asked him to be executor of my will. However, he has now developed this nasty addiction to prescription drugs which has really changed him. He once visited and I was calling hotels just to see if I could get him out of my house. He is not the same person I met when I first met him, but he didn't have the drug addiction when I met him. Granted, he is not smoking crack cocaine, but I still think that drugs really alter a person and I'll even say much more so than alcohol. For all I know, he made that call all doped up and half the time I'm sure he is in that state when I deal with him (or dealt with him).

As far as it being a personality thing, I can see your point. I think I'm guilty of it (at least with bad breakups, but I have to be really provoked), but it has pretty much been limited to that or when someone really crosses the line with me.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:43 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,845 times
Having the last word doesn't mean you've won the argument. It always seems to be important to the one who has the weaker position. That's the only way they can perceive of winning the argument. If you have a strong position, you shouldn't have to repeat it over and over again to get your point across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships