Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,332,738 times

Advertisements

A short while ago, I was discussing the following with Janet, a good lady friend. She is not the drinker type, but she is a very self-assured woman and has a solid sense of boundaries. We are strictly friends and have never been alone, and only hung out in groups.

We discussed what happens when a man and a woman are on a date (or just friends talking/hanging out), alcohol is consumed, and the man gets drunk but the woman doesn't. The man then gets touchy/kissy, while the woman is still sober enough both to refuse his advances and not to lose control herself.

Janet told me that if a woman lets the guy touch/caress/kiss her, it is because she likes him. Otherwise, she said, a woman can always - and will always be able to - say no if she is not into him.

This conversation reminded me of the comments from another lady friend. "Emma" said the same thing, but emphasized that a woman "allowing" a drunk or buzzed man to touch/kiss her always means she likes him, and she told me she always refused when she didn't like the guy she was with.

I asked both Janet and Emma what does it mean if in such scenarios, the woman doesn't necessarily respond (kiss back, touch back, etc) and rather just sits there passively 'accepting' his advances while doing and saying nothing to make him stop.

They both said it means the woman likes the man.

Women, do you agree with Janet and Emma? This assumes that men and women in such scenarios are both unmarried and have no BF/GF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 09:59 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
I don't agree. Some women don't know how to say "no" and, believe it or not, worry about offending if they do.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post

We discussed what happens when a man and a woman are on a date (or just friends talking/hanging out), alcohol is consumed, and the man gets drunk but the woman doesn't. The man then gets touchy/kissy, while the woman is still sober enough both to refuse his advances and not to lose control herself.

Janet told me that if a woman lets the guy touch/caress/kiss her, it is because she likes him. Otherwise, she said, a woman can always - and will always be able to - say no if she is not into him.
If I liked him, I'd let him know that, WHILE cheerfully but firmly putting my hand up to keep him from slobbering on me. I'd say, "Let's continue this when we're both sober."

By the way, nobody is named Janet.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Personally, I would hesitate to respond because I don't know if he really likes me, or if I am just there. Booze can make you want things you wouldn't want if you were sober.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:16 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
A short while ago, I was discussing the following with Janet, a good lady friend. She is not the drinker type, but she is a very self-assured woman and has a solid sense of boundaries. We are strictly friends and have never been alone, and only hung out in groups.

This conversation reminded me of the comments from another lady friend. "Emma" said the same thing, but emphasized that a woman "allowing" a drunk or buzzed man to touch/kiss her always means she likes him, and she told me she always refused when she didn't like the guy she was with.

I asked both Janet and Emma what does it mean if in such scenarios, the woman doesn't necessarily respond (kiss back, touch back, etc) and rather just sits there passively 'accepting' his advances while doing and saying nothing to make him stop.

They both said it means the woman likes the man.

Women, do you agree with Janet and Emma? This assumes that men and women in such scenarios are both unmarried and have no BF/GF.
Yes, i think it means she likes him. Or at least she likes him touching her.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:17 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I don't agree. Some women don't know how to say "no" and, believe it or not, worry about offending if they do.
that's true to a degree, but I think they would gently try to focus the man's attentions else where, or get up and pretend they have to do something else... or stuff like that

Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
I'd agree that for the most part the average woman would let only a dude she liked slobber and drunkenly paw at her. She wouldn't tolerate that from a guy she wasn't into.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:33 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Does "like" mean that she is attracted to him physically or has emotional feelings for him, at minimum, a crush?

For a woman to make out with or otherwise be intimate with a man (even if passively allowing it to happen but not really responding), she will likely have to be at least physically attracted to him. I assumed that was true for men too? Why would anyone make out with someone they have zero attraction to, either physical or emotional?

But whether or not she has feelings for him is another matter. There are women who enjoy casual sex with no strings attached so I would not assume that a make out session automatically means she has emotional feelings for him.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
I wouldn't let a drunk guy paw all over me if I didn't like him.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,332,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Does "like" mean that she is attracted to him physically or has emotional feelings for him, at minimum, a crush?

For a woman to make out with or otherwise be intimate with a man (even if passively allowing it to happen but not really responding), she will likely have to be at least physically attracted to him. I assumed that was true for men too? Why would anyone make out with someone they have zero attraction to, either physical or emotional?

But whether or not she has feelings for him is another matter. There are women who enjoy casual sex with no strings attached so I would not assume that a make out session automatically means she has emotional feelings for him.
Good question... Janet and Emma didn't clarify that. I assumed "liked" meant I guess either both... if it was the first or second date then I would imagine it meant she found him attractive, because how many feelings can be built up in such short a time?

But I guess also at least a level of comfort and affinity that could potentially become emotional feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships