Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:35 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times

Advertisements

Laura Linney's Aha! Moment: What to Look for in a Man - Love + Sex on Shine

"Charisma is not character. A magnetic personality doesn't necessarily indicate a good heart. I'd always assumed they went hand in hand."

I just really liked that line as its so true. There are so many empty charmers out there I feel terrible when someone falls under the spell of the false nice guy/gal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 03:40 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,313,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Laura Linney's Aha! Moment: What to Look for in a Man - Love + Sex on Shine

"Charisma is not character. A magnetic personality doesn't necessarily indicate a good heart. I'd always assumed they went hand in hand."

I just really liked that line as its so true. There are so many empty charmers out there I feel terrible when someone falls under the spell of the false nice guy/gal.

By posting this, you have just done a lot of ladies a world of good.

Last edited by picklejuice; 08-16-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 03:44 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,637 times
Exactly. Often, I hear somebody mention "that girl is so nice" or "he's a good guy", I'm thinking "no way, he/she is a phony charmer" or "how do you really know that?".

Character is only found out after you know somebody a long time. Until then, it's really just fluff.

I know this will rub some people the wrong way, but I think introverts (not shy people, but the introverts who can talk but choose not to as much) have the best character. For one, we are not all about "look at me" like extroverts are.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:46 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,857 times
It's very true. I've met a few men who've oozed charisma and they turned out being really self-centered and arrogant. I always knew charisma wasn't an indicator of character- to me it's more of a superficial kind of aura that a person gives out and has nothing to do with their heart. Just something they're born with but shouldn't be confused with goodness and kindness.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:53 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Default I agree!

Charisma does not mean a good heart. People with charisma have the ability to establish rapport and draw people in, And often are very persuasive. It is a trait that can be used for positive or negative consequences. Many successful salespeople and PR executives possess this and have success due to having this trait.

Integrity and sincerity do not go hand in hand with this trait at all. I agree with the other posters. this is a great thread.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:56 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,127 times
Charisma simply means someone can speak well or tell a good joke or start a conversation in an engaging way, or that they hold a position of power or prestige. It says nothing about who they are, good or bad.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:58 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,626,881 times
... yet politicians get away with this every day, and people even vote them into office ...

Old 08-16-2011, 04:03 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
... yet politicians get away with this every day, and people even vote them into office ...
Elections are about personalities, narratives, drama, quotes, and scandals (fake or not), not character, ideas, or the effectiveness of proposals.

Correction: In the USA...

Old 08-16-2011, 04:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Nothing new under the Sun. Just another thread about how things SHOULD be; not how they ARE.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:07 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,313,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Exactly. Often, I hear somebody mention "that girl is so nice" or "he's a good guy", I'm thinking "no way, he/she is a phony charmer" or "how do you really know that?".

Character is only found out after you know somebody a long time. Until then, it's really just fluff.

I know this will rub some people the wrong way, but I think introverts (not shy people, but the introverts who can talk but choose not to as much) have the best character. For one, we are not all about "look at me" like extroverts are.
This is often true.

It is also a good indication of whether a male will be faithful or not.

The "Charmers"/ "Gamers"- seem to be the males who are out looking for the extra on the side.

They use their fast, smooth talking motor mouths to win the naive or willing women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships