Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Yeah, I think so. I mean, I know that there are other factors, like environment, upbringing, association, etc. But for me, the best way to learn something for example, like driving a car, is hands-on. But lately Im also guilty of preferring to interact this way, rather than going downtown and striking up convos with strangers. It can be awkward if not downright embarassing these days with all the paranoia going on. So if this makes me retarded socially, then maybe so. However, I would like to think that I am just reacting to modern technology.
Online networking has a great social advantage as well. Online, gender, race, socioeconomic status, disability, and other social factors vanish. Online interaction levels the playing field for a lot of people who don't stand a chance in real life. You get direct access to the individual's personality, without being distracted or influenced by other social factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 12:54 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
Online social networking is great and beneficial when it supplements your daily routine.

After a day at work, or a hard day at home taking care of the family, getting on your computer and talking to friends and inviting new contact is great. It is relaxing, and provides a way to get new contacts and opinions into your life.

Extensive networking can become detrimental when it becomes the dominant focus in your life. When the reliance on networking becomes so dominate that it replaces friendship of face to face contact, it can alter your self opinion. It can give you an exaggerated status of your social skills, and when confronted with real life experiences it can result in coming up short on your ability to respond.

Social networking is great----just dont let it get in the way of human contact and socialization.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Online networking has a great social advantage as well. Online, gender, race, socioeconomic status, disability, and other social factors vanish. Online interaction levels the playing field for a lot of people who don't stand a chance in real life. You get direct access to the individual's personality, without being distracted or influenced by other social factors.
How in the world do you figure it levels the playing field? Even after a marathon Farmville session with Warren Buffett, you're still poor at the end of the day. It doesn't change anything for you in real life. Maybe in virtual land, but not in real life. This becomes a problem, IMO, when people begin to not be able to tell the two apart (virtual life vs. real life). I can't help but think about all those smug a**holes who spend hours playing WoW. In virtual land, they think they are the sh*t. In reality, they are probably some overweight, pimple-faced underemployed dweeb who lives in his mother's basement.

You get direct access to how the individual wants to portray him/herself on the Internet. As all of us forum posters probably know by now, a person on the Internet has the tendency not to be the same person you will meet in reality.

For instance, on a lonelier evening, I've been known to hit up craigslist on occassion to see if there are potential friends or meetups to check out. People will post all kinds of great things about themselves, how they are adventurous, exciting, want to meet new people, etc. You might even be lucky enough to get a few emails out of the person. But then, when you try to meet up with these people, they become totally unavailable. What happened to being "exciting and wanting to meet new people"? In my experience, people tend to be delusional and fake on the Internet.

The fact of the matter is that most people portray themselves differently on the Internet than they do in real life. You are not getting access to anything other than their virtual personality. My messages is don't kid yourself into thinking you know somebody because you have access to their Facebook profile.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I like some cereal dry, Chex, sometimes kix and reeces peanut butter puffs!

But I see, just looked like you were about to have a rough outing in facebook and all of us were about to hear about it!
Nope. I apologize if I had led you on, Prince.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,327 times
How is CD not like social networking?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
How is CD not like social networking?
This is faceless yakking.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
This is faceless yakking.
No meetings, no bonding, no poking, no hugs

Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
No meetings, no bonding, no poking, no hugs
Eh, some get there, but that's the exception, not the rule, and it's certainly not the initial intent.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:47 PM

550 posts, read 604,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Sat around the fire and stared at it...
Yes, but they did it together....

Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 PM

550 posts, read 604,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
They actually called their friends on the telephone or made plans in-person to hang out, lol.

I may be young, but I do remember a life without social networking!
The good "ole" days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships