Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 533 times

Advertisements

A friend asked if my ex missed me. She said she misses me as a friend and feels bad because she told me we would continue to be friends.

A Month later I contacted her and we ended up talking for 2 hours. She REPEATEDLY said I'm so glad you reached out to me and we are talking again. Basically we started by catching up then her bragging about all the guys she's talked to and ended with her opening up to me about some deep stuff (didn't even open up to during our friendship before)

So my question is.... Is this some ego thing? why say i feel bad when she seems more desperate to stay friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 05:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gow311055 View Post
A friend asked if my ex missed me. She said she misses me as a friend and feels bad because she told me we would continue to be friends.

A Month later I contacted her and we ended up talking for 2 hours. She REPEATEDLY said I'm so glad you reached out to me and we are talking again. Basically we started by catching up then her bragging about all the guys she's talked to and ended with her opening up to me about some deep stuff (didn't even open up to during our friendship before)

So my question is.... Is this some ego thing? why say i feel bad when she seems more desperate to stay friends?

Id let it go....

sometimes trying to remain friends is a minefield....

Old 01-07-2019, 08:41 AM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
Doesn’t sound like a friendship based upon that discussion. I’d move on quickly and not reach out again.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:56 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,257,602 times
Quote:

She wants you as a friend and confidant only.

The downside to being friends with your exes is that you will hear about the people they're dating and the fact that they've moved on from you. It's a natural and normal part of friendship. You can't expect them to constantly edit their conversations with you about other people, otherwise you're not being a "true friend" to them.

You need to decide if you can handle hearing about ALL parts of her life (including new love interests), and if you can't, then be honest with yourself and her about it. There's no shame in nixing the friendship and moving on.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:08 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
I think it's often great when ex-significant others can remain friends, depending upon the circumstances of each person. It can help in the emotional sustenance of life.

For the OP, if your ex can get over talking about the many people she is or has been dating, the rest of your friendship may be enjoyable.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:53 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think it's often great when ex-significant others can remain friends, depending upon the circumstances of each person. It can help in the emotional sustenance of life.

For the OP, if your ex can get over talking about the many people she is or has been dating, the rest of your friendship may be enjoyable.
Lol!

No guy wants to hear about the guys she has been seeing.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:14 PM

6,876 posts, read 4,877,055 times
She is an ex. No need to be concerned about whether she wants to be friends or not. Why waste your time?

Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 711 times
Quote:

Big mistake. Actually, you might have eliminated any chance of reuniting with her, romantically. I don't know who broke up with who, but she was obviously missing you. Either break off completely and let her move on with all of those guys she's supposedly connecting with or give her a chance to return to you. The way to grant her the opportunity to get back with you, is by clearly expressing the fact you're not interested in being just her friend. You're either her lover, which includes being a friend, caring about her like a friend, or moving on. You're being clear and honest with her and skipping the games. No games.

"Understand? I don't want to be just your friend. So, think about it and contact me only if you're seriously interested in getting back together. Otherwise, don't contact me. I'm not interested in you, as just a friend. Bye, take care. "

That's it. If she contacts you, to get together again. Take her out on a date. See how she behaves. Is she serious about rekindling the romance? Is she warm to the touch or is she cold and detached? Flaky, playing games? If that date doesn't end with both of you together, making out, at the very least, then break all contact with her, because she's playing you. She's using you, to feed her ego and get attention.

Just my two cents. From an old 46 year old geezer with a lot of experience with women.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,897,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Id let it go....

sometimes trying to remain friends is a minefield....
Boundaries!!!!!!!!

If she doesn't have the sense to see that gabbing with you about her dates is inappropriate, you need to make that decision for her.

Take the advice that JWarrick Gave you.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
She wants you to serve as an admirer and audience, not a friend.

Don't bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships