Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 AM

597 posts, read 1,147,403 times

Advertisements

As many of you might already know, I graduated from High School yesterday. It was a long journey, with many difficult bumps, yet was well worth it. I was also given a special award for some of the research I have conducted on behalf of the school.

It was a great pleasure to finally receive my diploma. For me it represented, many years of hard work in primary and secondary education. It also represented a new beginning for me and the rest of classmates.

The only sad part of the day was the cruel realization, that I will no longer be able to see the young lady of my dreams. As she walked across the stage to receive her diploma, it finally sank in, that this was the end of any hope for a relationship at this point in our life.

What was even more discouraging was the fact that she did not come up to congratulate me on my award (many others did) or wish me the best in my future endeavors. I was hoping that this final, event would be an opportunity to finally “bury the hatchet” so to speak. I did not want to graduate on strained terms, yet that appears to be what has happened.

I must say that I followed all advice that I received here on this forum. I gave her no letter, gift, or any type of farewell. Most everyone here insisted that giving a final parting gift or goodbye was a bad idea, so I took the advice and did absolutely nothing.

Consequently, I am no closer to my goal than before.

I was assured that this was the best decision to make, yet I see no progress in my problem.

I’ve been a bit depressed about this whole thing, and decided to confide in my mother. She reassured me that perhaps there remains hope for the future, now that we are both an alumnus of the class of 2013. My mom thinks that perhaps we shall see each other at alumni gatherings, yearbook signings, etc.
However, I am not entirely convinced. There is no guarantee that this girl will make an appearance at these gatherings. And even if she did, she may continue to hold onto her dislike of me.

There is one positive side to the whole situation. The girl’s younger sister will be transferring to our high school in the fall, so the family will remain connected to our school community.

I apologize for the length of my message. I simply wanted to describe what finally transpired, and inform all here that I did take the advice that was offered.

This appears to be an ending for me. However, I would like to ask the honest opinion of CD members once again.
My question is this; “ Do you believe that my mom may be right in suggesting that hope lies in the future?” I realize she was being optimistic, yet believe there may be some truth in what she was saying.

Thank you for reading. I felt it was necessary to share the final outcome of this high school situation which has been ongoing for the last four years.

My sincere thanks to all who have offered their words of help and assistance during this difficult time.
Best,
JW

Old 05-20-2013, 11:51 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Congrats on your graduation and accomplishments!

Now, enjoy your summer and get yourself ready for college.

Always look forward, not backward.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 AM

607 posts, read 856,190 times
on the plus side of not giving her any gifts, you don't have a restraining order on your record forever!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,944 times
Creeper

Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
on the plus side of not giving her any gifts, you don't have a restraining order on your record forever!
One point that I was trying to make, is the fact that I did not give her any gifts; yet did not make any progress toward my goal. I was lead to believe that this choice would lead to progress in my situation.

If I had given her a gift perhaps I would have gotten some where.

My mom made the suggestion, that perhaps, she would have wished me the best if I had initiated conversation first; However I will never know for sure.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
With all due respect to your mom, OP, I think it was a mistake for her to continue watering the seeds of false hope in you. I think maybe she was just trying to cheer you up. And I think the message from C-D is that it's time for you to abandon your goal. It's over. It's time to move on in life.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
No I do not agree with your mom that hope lies in the future with this girl.

Hope for your future lies in your plans for yourself. The girl in question had 4 years to alert you to any feelings she may have had for you. She did not.

I honestly believe a gesture on your part would have made NO difference in her feelings.

Congrats on your accomplishment. TIME FOR A NEW GOAL.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I honestly believe a gesture on your part would have made NO difference in her feelings.

I actually agree (although I will always wonder, what could have been if I HAD said something.) that I would have had little to no impact on her feelings.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
One point that I was trying to make, is the fact that I did not give her any gifts; yet did not make any progress toward my goal. I was lead to believe that this choice would lead to progress in my situation.
No one lead you to believe that but yourself, OP. People advised you not to give her anything in order to keep you out of trouble, and to spare her the turmoil of getting freaked out on her grad day.

Let it rest. It's over. You're embarking on a new stage in your life. Focus on that.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
I actually agree (although I will always wonder, what could have been if I HAD said something.) that I would have had little to no impact on her feelings.
Okay, but if you had given her something, and it had had no impact, as you say, you'd always be wondering whether it was the actual gift. Or the way you presented it. Or the actual day you presented it. Or...or...or...

There would NOT have been a (positive) impact no matter what...she isn't interested.

You do have a life ahead of you, congratulations on graduating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships