Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 01:25 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,031,559 times

Advertisements

I have noticed by browing profiles on this forum that a ton of different religious (and areligious) views are represented here.

It has me wondering how people of various religious persuasions view the importance of religion in dating and marriage. For example, do you feel it is important that your religious beliefs align strongly with those of your partner? Can you have different views on religion as long as you respect each other's differing beliefs and don't step on each other's toes in conversations about religion? Or as long as your differing religious beliefs don't manifest themselves in wildly different moral parameters? Or do you think religion should not play a role at all in relationships?

For me, it depends on the type of relationship in question. Are we talking booty call, FWB, dating, or potential marriage?

I am a strong believer in God, and even though I don't adhere to most of the moral tenets of many others who call themselves believers, I don't think I could be married to or seriously involved with a chick who didn't believe in a higher power of some sort. Honestly, I could see myself with a Muslim or Buddhist before an atheist.

I just think that if you aren't on the same page about why you're even here on Earth, it is hard to imagine that you could be compatible life partners.

When it comes to casual relationships, however, I think religion should play NO role. In fact, nothing annoys me more than when a chick I'm involved in a casual (and mostly sexual) fling with starts trying to talk religion with me. This happened all the time when I was in Tennessee. It's like, We're banging on the regular with little to no strings attached and you're trying to tell me what a good Christian you are and how I should go to church more regularly?!? I'm sorry, but that doesn't pass muster with me.

The only time I want to hear a girl I'm involved in a casual relationship with even MENTION God is when I'm giving her an orgasm! Oh, GOD, yes! Please don't stop! OHHHHHH my GODDDDDDD!

I'm especially curious to hear from those with no religious beliefs as well as those with less mainstream (at least in the U.S.) beliefs I may not be as familiar with. How does your faith (or lack of) affect the way you approach relationships?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
None.

A friend recently died. I was speaking with her husband & he said he didn't know if she had any religious beliefs.
Apparently before marriage, she said to him, I don't care about your religious beliefs and I'm not going to talk about any that I may or may not have.

It's a personal thing.

They were married for 30 years.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
My only thoughts on religious beliefs are that whomever I'm dating has to be okay with me holding the beliefs I hold...they don't have to agree with them, share them, hold any themselves, but they need to be respectful of beliefs that I myself hold. It's worked out fine so far. I've dated guys who are more religious than I am, less religious than I am, not religious at all, etc. I don't infringe on others' rights to believe/disbelieve as they choose, and I expect the same in return.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
I'm an atheist and so is my husband...it's a match made in heaven

Old 10-07-2011, 02:00 PM

419 posts, read 365,437 times
I'm athiest and my woman is theist. It has never cause any problems.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
I can't spend my life with someone who follows a religion unless they do it very, very loosely (not going to church, not teaching religion to kids etc). Of course I have no problem with someone believing in god, though.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:40 PM

607 posts, read 1,217,208 times
I believe in God, I pray daily and I've recently begun going to church regularly again. I'd prefer to have a partner who also believes in God (he doesn't have to be Christian), but I wouldn't refuse to date someone I have a connection with just because they don't. The most important thing for me is that we can be respectful of eachother's beliefs. I'd also want them to be comfortable enough to join me at church functions on occassion.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:46 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Despite my lapsed Catholicism, I will probably insist on Catholic baptism, sacraments and schooling for any kids I have.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:51 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Have the same beliefs it's easy. But sometimes other religions are interesting....many fall in love with people who come from different religious backgrounds. It's the willingness to accept it of each other. Ex. My cousin married a jewish man and was Methodist. She learned his whole religion and practices both.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
This is more of a Religious forum question than a Relationships forum question. For example, being "unequally yoked" is a big deal to some. I will ask the Religion mods about moving this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships