Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 03:08 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,121,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
We used to. You have made it very difficult.

I mean, if you were a positive, funny, upbeat, self-aware guy with a better attitude, we might even be setting you up.

But in all honesty, do you think anyone who has read your posts over the years would even theoretically want to introduce you to anyone they cared about? Would you date you, based on your posts here?
I wasn’t blaming anyone for not caring it’s what it is we are all just names on a message board.

As far as personality and all that this is a relationship
Forum where people go to talk about it especially those who struggle. Not to chit chat about other things it’s strictly about relationships and dating.

I’m not looking to make friends on a message board

I also think I’ve been pretty self aware in this thread about my faults.

Last edited by JBT1980; 04-27-2020 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 03:23 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,224,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I wasn’t blaming anyone for not caring it’s what it is we are all just names on a message board.

As far as personality and all that this is a relationship
Forum where people go to talk about it especially those who struggle. Not to chit chat about other things it’s strictly about relationships and dating.

I’m not looking to make friends on a message board
That's too bad. I used to think that too, but now I'm in a relationship with someone I met here on CD, and it's been amazing. We got to know each other messaging for about a year, then finally met. But I was already in love with him before I ever met him because of the bond we formed just by talking and getting to know each other. He's moving to my city soon.

That's all I'm saying ... you're limiting yourself by staying so closed off to potential connections because you have such a limited sense of how it could happen.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That's too bad. I used to think that too, but now I'm in a relationship with someone I met here on CD, and it's been amazing. We got to know each other messaging for about a year, then finally met. But I was already in love with him before I ever met him because of the bond we formed just by talking and getting to know each other. He's moving to my city soon.

That's all I'm saying ... you're limiting yourself by staying so closed off to potential connections because you have such a limited sense of how it could happen.
Well I’m unlikeable and not someone people would set anyone up
With according to posters here so I have a bad reputation on here.

So that’s probably not happening

Old 04-27-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Well I’m unlikeable and not someone people would set anyone up
With according to posters here so my names already damaged on here.
You always are SO handy with excuses!

I'm not suggesting that you can or should find a match here on the forum. But YOU have insight to any posters you might have connected with in past exchanges. And by "connecting," I mean felt compassion for, shared a joke with, learned something new about a town, etc.

That's yet another reason you could post about more than just your bleak dating history. If you branch out and talk about other stuff, you could make a friendly connection.

That could happen in real life, too.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:16 PM

4,048 posts, read 2,731,137 times
Quote:

I love this whole post, and the bolded is key here.

I met my guy online; he isn't conventionally handsome, not rich, average height, etc. But his smile reached his eyes, he had a friendly profile bio, and he stood out to me so I messaged him first. The rest, as they say, is beautiful history. He's amazing and we have a connection that I had always hoped I would find

Old 04-27-2020, 04:17 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,054,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
I love this whole post, and the bolded is key here.

I met my guy online; he isn't conventionally handsome, not rich, average height, etc. But his smile reached his eyes, he had a friendly profile bio, and he stood out to me so I messaged him first. The rest, as they say, is beautiful history. He's amazing and we have a connection that I had always hoped I would find
People still meet, site unseen, via message boards? Fall in love even before meeting? Well...congrats.... I found this to be most popular during the pre-broadband days. I had a friend of mine that corresponded with a woman on the opposite coast for a year, talked on the phone almost every day.

Then when he flew out to see her in person, she went to a complete ice queen on him. I've heard of similar situations like this. Let's just say, it was more easy to get away with cat fishing back then than it is now.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
You always are SO handy with excuses!

I'm not suggesting that you can or should find a match here on the forum. But YOU have insight to any posters you might have connected with in past exchanges. And by "connecting," I mean felt compassion for, shared a joke with, learned something new about a town, etc.

That's yet another reason you could post about more than just your bleak dating history. If you branch out and talk about other stuff, you could make a friendly connection.

That could happen in real life, too.
Maybe I’m old school but the making friends on a message board thing is odd to me..

Besides I’ve been treated like I’m some sort of bad person on here and I’m gonna be friends with these people? Lol

Old 04-27-2020, 04:44 PM

4,048 posts, read 2,731,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
People still meet, site unseen, via message boards? Fall in love even before meeting? Well...congrats.... I found this to be most popular during the pre-broadband days. I had a friend of mine that corresponded with a woman on the opposite coast for a year, talked on the phone almost every day.

Then when he flew out to see her in person, she went to a complete ice queen on him. I've heard of similar situations like this. Let's just say, it was more easy to get away with cat fishing back then than it is now.
I met my guy online, he had a profile pic, so not site unseen.

We chatted a few days before we met up and I felt the vibe during those chats.

But there are quite a lot of folks who meet on message boards.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:47 PM

29,785 posts, read 34,590,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Not liking someone in person isn't what catfishing is, though.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Maybe I’m old school but the making friends on a message board thing is odd to me..

Besides I’ve been treated like I’m some sort of bad person on here and I’m gonna be friends with these people? Lol
It is odd.

But you need to consider that people here have reacted basically to the vibe that you are giving out. Do you still not see it???

You just don't present yourself as a very likable person, yet many people here have spent lots of time earnestly trying to help you get your head out of your own ***. But your message about yourself is so ingrained that you don't even take time to consider that they may be right. You just fire off quick excuses time after time, letting all that help and yes, potential friendship, fly right past you.

There are a lot of people here whose online personalities I like after ten years of interacting here, and more than a couple I'd have a beer with based just on that. Many I fight with often, but even so I can tell who is intelligent and who isn't, who has a caring personality and who doesn't.

You get what you give, JBT, and that's definitely been the case for you here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships